UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Holding pads

11/23/12 11:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dougie
906 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So the other day I was talking with a friend and he asked me to hit some pads. I was not about to do it since the evironment was not meant for it. (Work)

But it made me think. Am I alone or do other people hate to hit pads with people who have no clue how to use them?

11/23/12 11:19 AM
TBidness
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/23/12 11:22 AM
You are most certainly not alone...

I went to a seminar once and the way the dude was holding mitts was driving me insane, having me jab to his right hand opposed to his left and shit, it was so awkward and threw me off completely for what I was used to

I consider myself an above average mitt holder as well so I literally stopped him and started to try and explain. which probably caused me to seem like a know it all when this guy was one of the instructors, either way...

It's most certainly not like riding a bike too, timing with a fighter is everything and when you hold for a particular person over the course of many years, that's hard to adjust the tendencies.

TBidness
11/23/12 11:22 AM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is zero point in hitting pads if the holder doesn't understand or can't execute the proper technique. Phone Post
11/23/12 11:26 AM
Dougie
906 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TBidness - You are most certainly not alone...

I went to a seminar once and the way the dude was holding mitts was driving me insane, having me jab to his right hand opposed to his left and shit, it was so awkward and threw me off completely for what I was used to

I consider myself an above average mitt holder as well so I literally stopped him and started to try and explain. which probably caused me to seem like a know it all when this guy was one of the instructors, either way...

It's most certainly not like riding a bike too, timing with a fighter is everything and when you hold for a particular person over the course of many years, that's hard to adjust the tendencies.

TBidness

Thank you. I feel better.

I hate it when a guy grabs mitts, holds them beside his ears and tells me to start hitting.

11/23/12 11:28 AM
Dougie

TBidness

I hate it when a guy grabs mitts, holds them beside his ears and tells me to start hitting.

11/23/12 11:44 AM
PatsBarriesGotKongo

Tom O'BentOverByFitch - There is zero point in hitting pads if the holder doesn't understand or can't execute the proper technique. Phone Post
this Phone Post
11/23/12 11:45 AM
TBidness
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dougie - 

TBidness

Very welcome.
11/23/12 11:49 AM
UGCTT croy_00
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tom O'BentOverByFitch -  There is zero point in hitting pads if the holder doesn't understand or can't execute the proper technique. Phone Post

This. I'm a Jiu-Jitsu guy, and my buddy at the gym asked me to hold pads for him (He's a boxer). I had no fucking clue what I was doing, and kept circling the same way until he had to sit down because I made him dizzy haha.
11/23/12 11:51 AM
KZTT_JonJones'sPublicist
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If the pad holder is bad it makes everything else bad. You can hit like a world champ but could easily leave w an extended elbow if the pad holder sucks. Phone Post
11/23/12 12:39 PM
AristidesBrito
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hitting the right mitt for a jab is the correct way. Why teach someone to jab across their body ? You see many.top amateur and pro boxing.coaches using the right mitt for jabs Phone Post
11/23/12 12:43 PM
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Worst thing ever. Nothing like a guy who thinks they can work mitts but everytime you throw a punch they flinch and pull the mitt away.
11/23/12 12:55 PM
TBidness

AristidesBrito -  Hitting the right mitt for a jab is the correct way. Why teach someone to jab across their body ? You see many.top amateur and pro boxing.coaches using the right mitt for jabs Phone Post

Well, Pat Miletich's style was how I learned, and it just felt incredibly awkward for me when I would throw a 1-2, my jab at the right hand, and cross at the left.

And it's not so much throwing the jab across your body, still straight forward as you should, and the mitt holder would still catch the punch where it would land...

MUCH easier to build on combinations and the whole fluidity of the routine just makes a lot more sense to me.

I guess it's a comfort thing and was I was used to.
11/23/12 1:00 PM
KZTT_JonJones'sPublicist
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TBidness -
AristidesBrito -  Hitting the right mitt for a jab is the correct way. Why teach someone to jab across their body ? You see many.top amateur and pro boxing.coaches using the right mitt for jabs Phone Post

Well, Pat Miletich's style was how I learned, and it just felt incredibly awkward for me when I would throw a 1-2, my jab at the right hand, and cross at the left.

And it's not so much throwing the jab across your body, still straight forward as you should, and the mitt holder would still catch the punch where it would land...

MUCH easier to build on combinations and the whole fluidity of the routine just makes a lot more sense to me.

I guess it's a comfort thing and was I was used to.
It's fine to do that everyone once in awhile. It's all about comfort, say your opponent slips, that's how you would jab them. Phone Post
11/23/12 1:06 PM
mmabmt
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

so how would you hold for a 2,3 combo..use the same pad and try to be faster? lol

You google or youtube any pro or even amateur they are hitting cross body.

Hitting same side would imply a 2 foot wide head
11/23/12 1:07 PM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch

I'm not saying you're lying but I'm curious as to what pro boxing coaches use the right mitt for the jab?

11/23/12 1:13 PM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch

Tom O'BentOverByFitch - 

I'm not saying you're lying but I'm curious as to what pro boxing coaches use the right mitt for the jab?

To answer my own question-

Emanuel Steward did.

11/23/12 1:14 PM
KZTT_JonJones'sPublicist

mmabmt - so how would you hold for a 2,3 combo..use the same pad and try to be faster? lol

After the cross flip the pad around where the back of your arm is facing out.

There are all kinds of ways to hold pads as long as the guy holding them knows what they are doing. Phone Post
11/23/12 1:15 PM
TBidness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5cxoI9vmDM

Freddie Roach as well, note that Manny is a lefty so of course he's hitting the right pad. Right being the actual right hand, and right being the correct way.

:-)
11/23/12 1:16 PM
BigWilliam
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hitting pads with someone that does not know what they are doing is not only a waste of time it's a good way to get injured. I hyperextended my elbow throwing a hard jab because the pad holder gave me no resistance.

If you have someone you are going to workout with just take a little time and teach them though, everyone has to learn it at some point.
11/23/12 1:17 PM
TBidness

KZTT_JonJones'sPublicist - 
mmabmt - so how would you hold for a 2,3 combo..use the same pad and try to be faster? lol

There are all kinds of ways to hold pads as long as the guy holding them knows what they are doing. Phone Post

And this.

I have seen several different styles.

Floyd Mayweather does choreography with his uncle, HATE that.

I'm a 'simulate the fight' type of mitt holder I suppose.
11/23/12 1:19 PM
1st Round Armbar
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hate when people hold them too far apart, it's supposed to mimic fighting, unless I'm fighting a 2 headed monster holding the pads that far apart is stupid.

also when I hold the pads correctly for someone, they finish the round and think they're bad ass.
we switch over and they hold them badly which makes it difficult to get a rhythm and they look at me in a way which is clear that their thoughts are: "I'd take this guy, he can't punch like me" lol Phone Post
11/23/12 1:20 PM
Tom O'BentOverByFitch

TBidness - 

And this.

People rag on Roger Mayweathers mitt work but it must have some advantage since Floyd has such incredible timing and speed.

11/23/12 1:23 PM
TBidness

Tom O'BentOverByFitch - 
TBidness - 

And this.

People rag on Roger Mayweathers mitt work but it must have some advantage since Floyd has such incredible timing and speed.

Exactly, I hate it, but can't really knock it because of Floyds record and style.
11/23/12 1:24 PM
bignightmare
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best thing tohappen to me in this game is when a training partner taught me to hold pads. It took months to get good but it is really important to have a good partner that can hold back and forth. If you hold like a tard and dont want to learn by listening then we only train 1x.
11/23/12 1:25 PM
mmabmt
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Emanuel Steward is using the right pad for both jab and cross

The vast vast majority hold across. Sure if it works it works but that will usually be someone who works specifically with one guy.

It would be the same as using your own number system instead of the common 1,2,3...sure it would work but would confuse everybody else. As a coach that doesn't make you that accessible. If I worked with someone and had to become used to some weird ass they had I wouldn't work with them.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.