UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> After 9 months of 5/3/1/ I've plateaued out.

11/23/12 2:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
thedilbert
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

as title says I've been doing 9 cycles of 5/3/1 and feel as though I've plateaued out with the program. In the first initial months of the program I made decent gains adding about 40 pounds to my squat and bench. The overhead press and deadlift though i never really saw significant success with.
After doing some reading and talking with people I have decided to either go with the Texas method or just looking at programs attacking each lift. A friend of mine( a powerlifter) suggested i look at the Coan/Phillipi 10 week Deadlift Routine

http://tsampa.org/training/scripts/coan_phillipi_deadlift/

I really have no goals in mind other than just to be stronger. Does anyone have advice in mind for either plan?
11/23/12 6:25 PM
Leigh
949 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How is your squat and DL technique? I've doubled guys' dead lift in 10 mins cos they were basically wide grip rowing it Phone Post
11/23/12 7:04 PM
thedilbert

I do over/under grip. I put my middle fingers on the inner ring portion of a barbell, that squats to a little more than should width. I actually had a friend correct that grip for me about a year aho. Phone Post
11/23/12 7:06 PM
thedilbert

In regards to technique i believe it is fine, been told it was fine but i am open to any suggestion/criticisms that come my way. I need to film myself lifting though. Phone Post
11/24/12 12:28 AM
ravenman2000
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What assistance were you doing for 5/3/1?  After all, the main 5/3/1 is just four exercises per week, with the rest being assistance work (accounting for most of the exercises and volume for most people).

11/24/12 1:17 AM
darkness66
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did you do the deload sets
11/24/12 1:32 AM
thedilbert

Yes deload every fourth week. I did the boring but big mostly for assistance. Phone Post
11/24/12 1:37 AM
Angle 5
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey OP:

Did you start out at too high of a weight for your 1 RM? Instead of adding 5 or 10 lbs for the subsequent cycle, maybe you can increase using smaller increments, like 2.5 or lighter (like those Platemate magnetic weight).
11/24/12 2:16 AM
ravenman2000
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thedilbert -  Yes deload every fourth week. I did the boring but big mostly for assistance. Phone Post

So the bodybuilding version.  You might try the newer "simplest strength template" that goes with 5/3/1 which has programing provided for assistance lifts designed to get you stronger in the big three lifts.  Instead of doing the main 5/3/1 lift and then the same lift again for five sets of 10 with a reduced weight (as with Boring But Big), you plan progression for a second compound lift, like close-grip bench, stiff-legged deadlifts, good mornings, front squats, etc followed by the regular assistance.  Maybe this, as a strength-specific assistance for 5/3/1, would work to get you through the plateau.

If you have decided to change anyway, and want a pre-set program, you might also try Madcow's version of the Bill Starr 5x5, which has worked great for me (but then, I liked 5/3/1 too).  It is similar to the Texas Method, but doesn't have volume that will kill you (TM as 5 sets of 5 across, similar to Stronglifts).

11/24/12 8:41 AM
kyle47129
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know if I'd call BBB the bodybuilding version. He actually has outlined a version of 5/3/1 for bodybuilding on his website though. Phone Post
11/24/12 2:47 PM
ravenman2000

Fair enough, I should have called BBB the hypertrophy version rather than the bodybuilding version.  Regardless, the Simplest Strength Template would be the off-season powerlifting and general strength version, and the 5/3/1 for Powerlifting would be the pre-meet peaking version.

12/6/12 10:42 PM
ruggerbouy
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've heard from a lot that starting over and resetting your 1 RM can give you a bit of a rest and a new lease on the program because your basically just doing the same thing you did before except now your stronger then before my buddy ran into the same issue as you.

he reset once but his gains after the reset were virtually the same as when he first start i.e. you said you added 40 lbs. when he reset he added another "40 pounds" on the second time through. May only be a placebo effect but it worked lol
12/7/12 12:46 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Try a new routine, load your body different. You'll probably be more motivated to rip into it.
12/7/12 7:03 AM
1armedScissor
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went from 315 to 405 with the Coan/Phillipi deadlift routine. That was years ago though and I'd probably attribute most of that to "beginner gains". I've also injured myself using the same program.

It's a brutal program, a lot of volume and high risk of injury due to the fatigue caused by the volume inevitably turning your form to shit. You need to be very strict with it, but it does work. It's a good program, you just have to be careful.

12/10/12 4:33 PM
waxwing slain
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm just now at 9 months, I'm right at stall with press and bench, still going strong on DL and squat.

Based on what I've read this is pretty typical - I'm interested in the Simplest Strength template for press/bench - is that in the PDF book or something new? I don't remember seeing it.
12/12/12 4:05 AM
KOArtist
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

waxwing slain - I'm just now at 9 months, I'm right at stall with press and bench, still going strong on DL and squat.

Based on what I've read this is pretty typical - I'm interested in the Simplest Strength template for press/bench - is that in the PDF book or something new? I don't remember seeing it.
2nd edition Phone Post
12/15/12 11:26 AM
Cheggers
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I stalled and started accumulating injuries, gave myself a month break . Someone recommended trying 6 weeks using alternate routines and lifts, with higher sets and reps. No idea though, feel a little disheartened by the whole thing. I need to man up.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.