UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What if GSP was calling out Benson Henderson?

11/23/12 3:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mike hammer
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The fans would probably say it's not a fair fight due to the fact GSP is much bigger than he is. Anderson has at least the same weight and size difference on GSP as GSP has on Henderson.

This is why I'm not sure what the logic is for Anderson in fighting GSP? There are weight classes for a reason and I think it's hypercritical for fans wanting to see this fight when people would never say let's put Benson vs Cruz or GSP vs Aldo.

Dana and Anderson are pressuring him big time and I think it's total BS. What's your guy's opinion?
11/23/12 3:41 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Henderson had defended his belt 6-10 times and been clearly a level above all his competition I would LOVE to see that....even if there was a 10 pound difference.

11/23/12 3:42 PM
Hocky Balboa
7914 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You haven't seen many people on here saying that GSP/Silva is unfair due to the size advantage? Phone Post
11/23/12 3:43 PM
JoeMimic
579 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't Ben recently say he won't be able to fight at 155 forever and will eventually have to move up? He cuts a ton of weight the size difference from walk around weight might not be too different.
Pat Healy cuts from 185 six weeks out to make 155 and he's huge. Phone Post
11/23/12 3:43 PM
Andersons_Chin
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Benson hasnt cleaned out his division, which could be said of GSP or Andy.

Also, Andy/GSP is a match fans have been asking about for years.
11/23/12 3:46 PM
UGCTT_CloudStrife
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

If Henderson had defended his belt 6-10 times and been clearly a level above all his competition I would LOVE to see that....even if there was a 10 pound difference.

11/23/12 3:46 PM
Entreri

Jones has cleaned out this division.

Anderson is not calling him out. I wonder why...
11/23/12 3:51 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Entreri - Jones has cleaned out this division.

He said he is open to that fight but want GSP first.

11/23/12 3:52 PM
neibs

Andersons_Chin - Benson hasnt cleaned out his division, which could be said of GSP or Andy.

I don't agree with this. There was a time when both divisions seemed cleaned out but it has passed. At WW there is Hendrix and diaz, possibly ellenberger and rory too(not sure how that will work out). And at MW there is weidman and bisping looking for shots, if Lombard can get his act together maybe him too. I don't see this fight between gsp and silva as being necessary for anything other than the fact that both are super marketable right now and IMO are near the top of the mountain, only place to go is down, UFC wants to cash in before either begins to descend.
Sorry for so much reading, I started and couldn't stop. Phone Post
11/23/12 3:52 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Sippy Cuppy - 
Andersons_Chin - Benson hasnt cleaned out his division, which could be said of GSP or Andy.

If he gets past Nate, who's left?

Showtime?

Then what?

LW is possibly the deepest division in all of MMA.  You have to be joking...

11/23/12 3:54 PM
Entreri

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

Nope. He never called out Jones.

He said maybe. He pivots and stutters when Jones is mentioned.
11/23/12 3:58 PM
Entreri

"Jon Jones, no my plan for fight, because my team have Rogerio Minotauro...Machida...and...and...these guys have great chance for...fight for Jon Jones".

Nov 17 interview with Anderson Silva, by Ariel Helwani:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lXY4PoCkT0

We see what Anderson really thinks about fighting Jones. I suspect this fight will never happen.
11/23/12 4:03 PM
shaqitup
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sippy Cuppy - 
Andersons_Chin - Benson hasnt cleaned out his division, which could be said of GSP or Andy.

If he gets past Nate, who's left?

Showtime?

Then what?

The rest of the division? He won 2 closely contested fights against Edgard, both of which some people thought edgar won.

He has defended his title against 1 fighter, and wasn't convincing at all, he's not even close to clearing out the division.

Out of all the belts he's probably the furthest from doing so.
11/23/12 4:32 PM
Kevin Arnold

GSP would have to do the following to compare to silva's actions in recent months:

-make a number of excuses for why he can't, won't, or shouldn't fight Silva (Jones)

-say he has no interest in fighting the big up and coming name at at WW in Hendricks (Weidman)

-say he is going to take a year off to make movies

-challenge the champ a weight class below him (Henderson)

GSP would get destroyed if he displayed this type of behavior.

I am not a fan of Silva at all. I think he is the goat and I respect his skills as a fighter though. It just amazes me how Jon Jones can be destroyed the way he was for not taking a fight on 10 days notice and yet Silva is allowed to dictate everything to the UFC and fellow fighters.

It also amazes me that Silva is the one pulling some BS with this situation and yet so many people are blaming GSP already for not taking the fight. Again, Silva is the goat but he doesn't walk on water and he isn't bigger than the sport despite what he and his fans seem to think.

11/23/12 4:34 PM
da Vinci 81
154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

Yeah....at a catchweight for a billion dollars.

Yes I know it was tongue in cheek but the point was still there. Phone Post
11/23/12 4:41 PM
Avenged MOFO

Kevin Arnold - GSP would have to do the following to compare to silva's actions in recent months:

-make a number of excuses for why he can't, won't, or shouldn't fight Silva (Jones)

-say he has no interest in fighting the big up and coming name at at WW in Hendricks (Weidman)

-say he is going to take a year off to make movies

-challenge the champ a weight class below him (Henderson)

GSP would get destroyed if he displayed this type of behavior.

I am not a fan of Silva at all. I think he is the goat and I respect his skills as a fighter though. It just amazes me how Jon Jones can be destroyed the way he was for not taking a fight on 10 days notice and yet Silva is allowed to dictate everything to the UFC and fellow fighters.

It also amazes me that Silva is the one pulling some BS with this situation and yet so many people are blaming GSP already for not taking the fight. Again, Silva is the goat but he doesn't walk on water and he isn't bigger than the sport despite what he and his fans seem to think.

100% agreed. but i think GSP is the greatest of all time. He has always fought the very best competition everytime. Everyone he fights is a true threat. He has avenged his only 2 losses in dominant fashion. Ww is also more stacked than me IMO. Phone Post
11/23/12 5:17 PM
mike hammer
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson hasn't fought at WW for nearly a decade Othello - Silva has put on a significant amount of weight over the years. Rumors are he walks around at 225 these days so I would think it would be next to impossible for him to get any lighter than a 180 lbs which is still 10 lbs over the WW division weight limit. GSP isn't even a big WW either on top of that he's showed no interest in the Silva fight. All in all it's a terrible fight for him it could potentially take years off of his career the potential beating he could receive.
11/23/12 5:17 PM
mike hammer

Anderson hasn't fought at WW for nearly a decade Othello - Silva has put on a significant amount of weight over the years. Rumors are he walks around at 225 these days so I would think it would be next to impossible for him to get any lighter than a 180 lbs which is still 10 lbs over the WW division weight limit. GSP isn't even a big WW either on top of that he's showed no interest in the Silva fight. All in all it's a terrible fight for him it could potentially take years off of his career the potential beating he could receive.
11/23/12 5:47 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Entreri - 
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

He never "called out" anyone imho. He asks for the fights he wants. With respect.

11/23/12 5:49 PM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Edited: 11/23/12 5:49 PM
mike hammer - Anderson hasn't fought at WW for nearly a decade Othello - Silva has put on a significant amount of weight over the years. Rumors are he walks around at 225 these days so I would think it would be next to impossible for him to get any lighter than a 180 lbs which is still 10 lbs over the WW division weight limit. GSP isn't even a big WW either on top of that he's showed no interest in the Silva fight. All in all it's a terrible fight for him it could potentially take years off of his career the potential beating he could receive.

In 2008 and 2009 GSP said numerous times that his goal was to move up and be the MW champion.

Then there is this froma couple months ago:

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/8/9/3230436/ufc-quick-quote-firas-zihabi-says-georges-st-pierre-wants-anderson

"Georges St-Pierre told me he wants (to fight Anderson Silva). But right now he has to get back on the horse and fight Carlos Condit and be champion again. He needs to keep focused. (If the Silva fight happens) ideally I'd like a catch weight. I think it'd be more fair. If you fight at a catch weight, Silva won't be 20 pounds heavier. 177 or 178 pounds is much more fair."-Firas

11/24/12 12:16 PM
mike hammer

If they fight at around 175 pounds that would be acceptable. I believe Anderson made 175 for the Rumble on the Rock tourney back in 2006 so it shouldn't be impossible for him to him make that. That way GSP doesn't have to fight too far out of his natural weight class.

I'd much rather see Anderson fight Bones Jones though due to the fact they're both closer in size. Also they've been overall more dominant in their respected weight classes than GSP has been as WW. GSP hasn't finished anyone for years now and these 2 have been finishing the majority of their opponents in impressive fashion.
11/24/12 1:29 PM
UGCTT_nightkap
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA -

Exactly Phone Post
11/24/12 1:41 PM
spliff
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ben and gsp are closer in size than gsp and silva

11/24/12 2:42 PM
Warriormmd
133 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Entreri -
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA - 

Who the fuck said Anderson DID call him out? Lol Phone Post
11/24/12 3:39 PM
blacksamurai

neibs -
Andersons_Chin - Benson hasnt cleaned out his division, which could be said of GSP or Andy.

I don't agree with this. There was a time when both divisions seemed cleaned out but it has passed. At WW there is Hendrix and diaz, possibly ellenberger and rory too(not sure how that will work out). And at MW there is weidman and bisping looking for shots, if Lombard can get his act together maybe him too. I don't see this fight between gsp and silva as being necessary for anything other than the fact that both are super marketable right now and IMO are near the top of the mountain, only place to go is down, UFC wants to cash in before either begins to descend.
Sorry for so much reading, I started and couldn't stop. Phone Post
Only Hendricks is there im the biggest Nick Diaz nutthugger but he hasn't fought in a year he needs a tune up 5 rder and Ellenberger is 1-1 and got stopped in his last loss... Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.