UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Glucosamine and Other Joint Supplements???

11/24/12 2:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LakerGirl
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do they work? I have a history of arthritis in my family, both my grandmother on my fathers side, and my mother. Between the years of skateboarding, followed by years of BJJ, I have fairly sore knees and finger joints now that I'm in my 30s. Will a glucosamine sup work to help so I don't need meds?

Also, who is making the highest quality glucosamine supplements? Should I get straight glucosamine, or one of the supplements with multiple active ingredients? Trying to avoid stuff like Celebrex. Hook me up. Phone Post
11/24/12 3:18 PM
DaddyO4
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glocosamine/chondroitin,also try hyaluronic acid. I take them basically hoping they do something,who really knows?
11/24/12 3:26 PM
XmmaAddictX
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use glucosamine chondroitin and feel it does help me. I sustained acl, mcl, meniscus tears in 2006 and began with the supplement. Didnt really take notice to its benefits until I stopped taking them 2 yrs post injury. Upon feeling the soreness and discomfort in my affected knee I began to supplement again and have had success to some degree. So, yah I guess it helps. Phone Post
11/24/12 4:37 PM
sly fox
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lakergirl...im assuming your female... if you are and you are wanting to have kids in futur avoid glucosamine, theres some emerging papers on the effects of it on eggs.. if you dont care about eggs or having babies sure, 1500mg is the recommended daily dose, chondroitin has some beneficial research associated

An alternative or addition  is to add omega 3 supplementation to your diet, as that (eg fish oils) has some anti-inflammatory response.. Theres a lot of relationship between diet and inflammation, so cleaning up your diet and removing nything that you have intolerances to might help... Also there is a link between inflammtion and obesity, so if you are extra heavy lose a few lbs and that may help

11/24/12 5:29 PM
LakerGirl

I am a guy who lost a SN bet. Phone Post
11/25/12 10:14 AM
imkeithhernandez
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Had hip surgery in May and just ran Worlds Toughest Mudder last week..I honestly am a different person when Im taking fish oil,osteo bi flex, and the glucosamine found in my Optimum Nutrition protein...if I accidently miss a day my body knows it....also foam roller is king Phone Post
12/3/12 1:58 AM
onepunchJD
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody have experience with Cissus??
12/3/12 2:59 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

I've been told not to bother with MSM/chondroitin unless you've got actual arthritis.

12/3/12 5:17 AM
cdog1955
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It does help me!
12/8/12 1:43 PM
DaddyO4
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I must have serious inflamation issue b/c gluc/chond,hyaluronic acid and fish oil daily do nothing for me. Assuming they are doing some good,I would feel crippled without them.
12/8/12 3:43 PM
dc1000
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DaddyO4 - I must have serious inflamation issue b/c gluc/chond,hyaluronic acid and fish oil daily do nothing for me. Assuming they are doing some good,I would feel crippled without them.

i take all that plus 8-10 advil three or four nights a week

and still...the pain
12/8/12 9:02 PM
Keep if professional

I've had good results with Cissus.
12/10/12 3:59 AM
PTM2020
1113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LakerGirl -  I am a guy who lost a SN bet. Phone Post

yeah man, iirc you lost it to me like 3 or so years ago.  It was only supposed to be for a year or something right?

bro.   you should really change it back already  lol.  

not sure why you're still using it.

12/21/12 9:21 PM
rosario00

I buy glucosamine/chondroitin from Costco and i don't get knee soreness like I used to from squatting heavy Phone Post
12/22/12 1:07 AM
12ealdeal

LakerGirl - I am a guy who lost a SN bet. Phone Post
Lol great twist of events Phone Post
12/22/12 10:30 AM
sly fox
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep if professional - I've had good results with Cissus.

A body builder friend of mine swears by cissus, when i traiend for a few months in india they meade me take this ayurvedic medicine that had it in... tasted horrible

theres research in animal studies about it increasing the speed of bone healing

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.