UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Hurt my shoulder benching today

11/24/12 5:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Laval Luc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck, and I'm so careful about using proper form (or what I think is proper form).
Had to skip my last set cause shoulder was starting to feel a bit sore. Not sure what I did wrong. Shoulders felt tight behind me, elbows were tucked in pretty tight.
Anyways it happened so nothing I can do about it now. I can lift my arm overhead with no pain. I can actually move it all around and feels fine. I was lying down earlier and was starting to get a dull pain more on the outside of my shoulder. Om doing that shoulder impingement test where you place your hand on your opposite shoulder and lift your elbow. Sometimes I feel some tightness and sometimes don't. I'm guessing its the rotator cuff?
Any suggestions on how I can treat it myself. Ill go see a physio on Monday. Phone Post
11/24/12 5:43 PM
Laval Luc

And I'll obviously be avoiding benching for a little while. Phone Post
11/24/12 7:59 PM
OregonChaelClosedDueToBandWagonCrash

Pray to god it's not your rotator cuff Phone Post
11/24/12 8:20 PM
Laval Luc

I don't think it is my rotator cuff actually. Any external rotation movement I do feels totally fine Phone Post
11/26/12 2:13 AM
dizz
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Popping at all? Phone Post
11/26/12 1:55 PM
jrrrrr
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most people who do heavy benching will have shoulder problems, even with proper form.
The shoulders were not meant to have weight going straight into them the way you will do a standard flat bench.
The interesting thing is that unless you are powerlifting, the bench press is not needed.
Few athletic movements require you to have your back on a flat surface and only use your pectoral, deltoid, tricep muscles.
Punching(throwing, etc) is a whole body movement, for example.
11/26/12 5:11 PM
Laval Luc

dizz - Popping at all? Phone Post
Yes Phone Post
11/26/12 5:12 PM
Laval Luc

jrrrrr - Most people who do heavy benching will have shoulder problems, even with proper form.
The shoulders were not meant to have weight going straight into them the way you will do a standard flat bench.
The interesting thing is that unless you are powerlifting, the bench press is not needed.
Few athletic movements require you to have your back on a flat surface and only use your pectoral, deltoid, tricep muscles.
My goal is to compete in a powerlifting competition in a few months. Phone Post
11/26/12 5:15 PM

I work with a guy who came third in Nabba universe last year. He was so sick of hurting his shoulder through heavy pressing he completely changed up his routine and started doing more reps and lighter weights. I think he goes for 15 reps and reckons his chest has never been bigger. Justin Wessels his name is. Phone Post
11/26/12 5:27 PM
Laval Luc

But even though a PL competition is my goal, I'm going to really back off benching for a while. Ill focus on strengthening everything that helps with a bigger bench. Ill do a lot of upper back work and lot of tricep work.
Nervous to do any pressing movements now but guess I can some 1-arm standing cable presses. No idea how overhead presses are going to feel but doing them unloaded feels fine. No pain and no popping. Pull-ups also don't feel great but neutral grip and chin ups feels fine. Can do ring pull-ups also pain free. Phone Post
11/26/12 8:41 PM

Go see a physio first bro. Shoulder injuries are not to be fucked with. Phone Post
11/27/12 3:09 AM
andyman011

jrrrrr - Most people who do heavy benching will have shoulder problems, even with proper form.
Pretty sure the entire bottom game of bjj is done flat on your back, which also translates in mma because when you want to stand up its not as easy as standing up. There's a guy on your chest baseing. It's a great compound exercise. Phone Post
11/27/12 1:37 PM
jrrrrr
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The groundgame is not based on how much you can bench. There are a lot of whole body movements such as shrimping and other leverage moves that are actually used. If you are doing bjj/mma based on upperbody strength, you are automatically going to lose against anyone bigger/stronger than you.
I'm not stating not to train to have upper body strength. You can do push up that require your core to tighten. YOu can do dips, etc.
The bench press itself where you are isolating upper body muscles and have a weight putting pressure on your shoulders is not needed and as the above people have stated, can screw up your shoulders...
11/28/12 12:51 AM
andyman011

jrrrrr - The groundgame is not based on how much you can bench. There are a lot of whole body movements such as shrimping and other leverage moves that are actually used. If you are doing bjj/mma based on upperbody strength, you are automatically going to lose against anyone bigger/stronger than you.
I'm not stating not to train to have upper body strength. You can do push up that require your core to tighten. YOu can do dips, etc.
The bench press itself where you are isolating upper body muscles and have a weight putting pressure on your shoulders is not needed and as the above people have stated, can screw up your shoulders...
Nothing is really needed. They're all exercises and they all have their purpose, and yes your upper body strength comes into play a lot more than you think. Phone Post
11/29/12 3:56 PM
s98ronin

You don´t "isolate" the upperbody muscles during a correct benchpress. Besides the chest you use your core, legs, back, arms, and delts.

Btw: Dips aren´t any safer than the bp for the shoulders...
11/29/12 4:19 PM
dizz
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

s98ronin - You don´t "isolate" the upperbody muscles during a correct benchpress. Besides the chest you use your core, legs, back, arms, and delts.

Btw: Dips aren´t any safer than the bp for the shoulders...

Dips fuck my shoulders up

12/1/12 2:47 AM
McGruff The Crime Hog
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Be careful. Both my brother and I have had shoulder surgery from bench and it sucks. Things are never the same. Keep the bar below you shoulder joint. I exaturate by bringing the bar down below my chest just to be safe. Phone Post
12/7/12 1:16 PM
LCSULLA
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm dealing with a shoulder issue ass well and it does suck. I had one shoulder worked on in '09 and now the other one is acting up.

I would say try a different grip, like use a Swiss bar for most of your training and practice with a reg bar to get the grove right.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.