UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jon Jones was once rejected from TUF,

11/24/12 6:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AshDoherty
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quote:
"They asked me to be on the show as an athlete, and I passed on the chance. It was on a different network at that time, but an executive at that office invited me on as an athlete. Then I loved the show" Sonnen said.
Quote:
"I tried out for 'The Ultimate Fighter' back when I was 20 years old, I remember making it through the first round and then approaching a table to grapple for the second round and having Dana – I think himself, I remember him being at the table – saying, 'Man, you're too young. You're 20 years old, and you have to be 21 to apply for this show, but we're going to let you roll anyways. But you can't go much further than this.' I was like, 'Alright.' I was rolling and having a great time, and that was it. That was the end of the scenario." Jones said.

Read more...

11/24/12 6:48 PM
KZTT_MMAfan55
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interdasting..... Phone Post
11/24/12 6:49 PM
3 Sided Square
532 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I vaguely recall an interview where Jones said he learned some stuff from YouTube when he was starting. You look where he is at now and it sounds 10x's crazier. Phone Post
11/24/12 6:51 PM
SandraBullockFan
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/24/12 6:52 PM
so he would have been on the nog/mir season? bader, vinnie, bones, lawlor, krzysztof, elliot marshall, kingsbury. damn that would have been one of the best seasons IMO
11/24/12 6:54 PM
AshDoherty
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

irishman84 - no shit. Nice thread OP. What interview is that from?

Looks like him and Sonnen both talked to MMAJunkie recently.

11/24/12 6:55 PM
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dong Johnson - 

the 21 age limit is because of the alcohol they abuse on the show lol

Yeah that def is the reason.

Crazy they could have missed out on signing the potential GOAT because of 1 year age limit.
11/24/12 6:58 PM
Authority Figure

11/24/12 6:58 PM
UGCTT_SMASHED BY A BIG RIG!
869 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Frankie Edgar was also rejected from TUF, not sure what the reasoning behind that was though. Phone Post
11/24/12 7:00 PM
FearTheClown
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tyron Woodley got rejected from TUF 9: USA vs UK

11/24/12 7:03 PM
MdGeist

Which season did Jones try out for?

11/24/12 7:09 PM
869 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FearTheClown -

Tyron Woodley got rejected from TUF 9: USA vs UK

I'm sure his mama gave the execs an earful for that one Phone Post
11/24/12 7:14 PM
EBM
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MdGeist - 

Which season did Jones try out for?

TUF 8 (Nog vs Mir)

11/24/12 7:18 PM
FedorFTW

Ben Henderson also was rejected. Phone Post
11/24/12 7:43 PM
AshDoherty

FedorFTW -  Ben Henderson also was rejected. Phone Post

Ben Henderson TUF Audition

11/24/12 8:14 PM
UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not as if they rejected him because they weren't impressed by him.

It's weird because there is a fighter on The Smashes right now, Patrick Iodice, who is 19... Phone Post
11/24/12 8:19 PM
SandraBullockFan
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay -  It's not as if they rejected him because they weren't impressed by him.

It's weird because there is a fighter on The Smashes right now, Patrick Iodice, who is 19... Phone Post

where is it filmed? perhaps rules change based on drinking age
11/24/12 8:19 PM

UGCTT_Fraser_Finlay - It's not as if they rejected him because they weren't impressed by him.

The drinking age over there probably allows for him to drink if he wanted. Phone Post
11/24/12 8:20 PM
KZTT_W85
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good info Phone Post
11/24/12 8:22 PM
UGCTT Private First Class America
324 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Tyrone Woodley and Ben Henderson were rejected for the USA vs UK season? Gee, I wonder why… Phone Post
11/24/12 8:48 PM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

So at least 3 world champions were reject from tuf. That's the same amount of people from tuf that have been world champions. Phone Post
11/24/12 8:59 PM
KZTT_FawkingxD
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Authority Figure -

Lol Phone Post
11/24/12 9:17 PM
Phisher

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -  So at least 3 world champions were reject from tuf. That's the same amount of people from tuf that have been world champions. Phone Post

Fuck quality fighters. Viewers want semi-phychopathic imbeciles with pink mohawks.

11/24/12 9:23 PM
hogh20

Phisher - 
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -  So at least 3 world champions were reject from tuf. That's the same amount of people from tuf that have been world champions. Phone Post

Fuck quality fighters. Viewers want semi-phychopathic imbeciles with pink mohawks.

viewers don't want that shit. tv execs think we do.
11/24/12 9:26 PM
GC111

Phisher - 

They didn't look tough enough
11/24/12 9:30 PM
MdGeist

It really makes you wonder if TUF would have made Jones even better than he is now or if it would have been bad for his career.

Around the time of TUF 8, I don't think Jones had met Jackson and really reached his full potential. He may have lost to one of the tough fighters on that season like Vinny, Bader, or Lawlor. Just think of how a loss like that would have impacted the rest of his career.

He may have won that season of TUF but I'm sure that their would be some weaknesses exposed in his game that would have been exploited in latter fights because right now, nobody has the blue-print to beat JBJ

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.