UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Jazz Funk Virtuoso Jef Lee Johnson

2/4/13 10:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
686 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hugomma - 

Shannon & Jef Lee - "Truth & Grace".

That's really beautiful -- the whole quartet, really.
That was one of the Shanon Jackson records that was a Japan-only release, and I paid top dollar for it on CD. And now... I seem to have lost it. I didn't even remember that tune, in particular, I suppose being more obsessed with the more fire-breathing stuff at the time I first listened. Thanks for the reminder, because that's a great tune.

That one is a lot of Jef Lee Johnson, obviously; but throughout the record the channels are split fairly clearly, with Dave Fiuczynski on one side and Jef Lee Johnson on the other. (And still, it's Jackson's record, not even though guys are going to make *that* unclear!)
2/4/13 10:56 AM
hugomma
939 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No matter how great his guys are, an RSJ project is always an RSJ project.  Frisell, Fuze, Jef Lee, Vernon - no one overshadows RSJ.  IMHO, Shannon's to electric fusion guitar with Miles was to the tenor sax.  Jef Lee was part of an elite group of guitarist/musicians, & it sucks to think that we won't be hearing anything new from him.

6/3/13 3:19 AM
soundoff71
939 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This one starts off slow, but the hamolodic/shred payoff's worth it.  What a loss...

6/3/13 5:12 AM
Ali
686 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The "slow start" more than works for me, too -- but I love the song, and all that tension-release is different (and "given" in advance) when it's a cover of a song you already know, I guess. His singing tone is just perfect, as soon as the lead starts, well before he gets into the shreddy or chordal stuff...

This is cool to hear, I had no idea he recorded this.
6/3/13 10:57 AM
soundoff71

Frisell's the jazz/fusion guy I usually associate with Bob Dylan covers, but I thought it was a fresh take on an old warhorse. It's also a good, accessible thing to play to someone who's unfamiliar with harmolodics, since most people know the tune.
6/3/13 11:16 AM
Ali

Edited: 06/03/13 11:27 AM
My favorite cover of that tune is a rock cover, the live Television one from "The Blow Up". But most folks find it real tough to get past the vocals. And the recording quality.
Jef Lee takes it into yet another new direction, for sure.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.