UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What's going on with Eddie Alvarez?

11/24/12 11:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
i remember halloween
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is he in some waiting period now to let some Bellator contract thing expire or is he still exploring different options? I really would like to see him in the UFC.

11/24/12 11:10 PM
Tat2tillidie
357 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mmaweekly.com/bellator-making-hard-push-to-keep-eddie-alvarez Phone Post
11/24/12 11:11 PM
Joe_Drogan420

I'd like to see him fight BJ.
11/24/12 11:16 PM
Chris27

That article tat posted is like a month old.

Bellator and Eddie spoke, Eddie declined Bellators contract offer, Bjorn released him from the exclusive negotiating period. It was 90 days but they cut out the last 70 days.

So Eddie is free to take offers from any org but Bellator has the right to match. I imagine Dana has been dealing with GSP return, Fox 5 and now will turn his attentions to Eddie.

I hope he signs with the UFC.

11/24/12 11:17 PM
Chris27

http://mmajunkie.com/news/31735/still-no-word-on-contract-offer-for-top-free-agent-eddie-alvarez.mma

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney said he spoke to Eddie Alvarez on Monday and doesn't have an update on the fighter's future.

Rebney has yet to receive a UFC contract offer that would decide whether the tournament-based promotion holds onto the ex-champ or cuts him loose.

"We're literally waiting," he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

As earlier reported, Rebney cut the remainder of a 90-day exclusive negotiating period that would have kept Alvarez (24-3 MMA, 9-1 BFC) from receiving offers from competing promotions.

The promotion now holds the right to match or decline those offers for a period of six months, and has 15 days to make the choice. But an offer from the UFC hasn't crossed Rebney's desk, and the CEO isn't sure why.

The UFC is interested in Alvarez but hasn't made public an offer to the lightweight, who fulfilled the final fight on his Bellator contract by knocking out Patricky "Pitbull" Freire at Bellator 76 this past month.

Alvarez, meanwhile, has been mum on his career's direction. Rebney's position hasn't changed.

"It really becomes for us a mathematical analysis," he said. "We know where we would want to be with Ed, we know what kind of a deal structure would work for Bellator and our partners at Spike TV, and we're just waiting."

Rebney previously told MMAjunkie.com that the promotion could offer Alvarez a deal structure and ancillary opportunities that could compete with the incentives offered by the UFC, whose top-star deals frequently receive pay-per-view bonuses.

"We'd like to keep him, but it will all boil down to the numbers," Rebney said.
11/24/12 11:19 PM
Chris27

Would the UFC wait 6 months for Bellators matching clause to expire before they talk with him?

The way Bjorn is talking I dont think he believes he can keep Eddie.

11/24/12 11:34 PM
French Fries Malone
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lots of fights for him when he gets to UFC .
Cerrone pettis Lauzon miller..... Phone Post
11/24/12 11:43 PM
Chris27

French Fries Malone -  Lots of fights for him when he gets to UFC .
Cerrone pettis Lauzon miller..... Phone Post

Those guys, Bendo, Diaz, Barboza etc.

Plus when SF folds and Gilbert, Punk, Healy, Masvidal all come over to the UFC he will have even more great fights.

Also Aldo could move up at some point, BJ could potentially drop back to LW.

In Bellator he has

Chandler rematch
Hawn
Cupcake
Jansen
Tirloni
Held
Sarnavskiy

Really only Chandler and Hawn are fights I'm interested in seeing in Bellator.

11/25/12 1:51 AM
Tat2tillidie
357 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks chris 27 it was the most recent on eddies twitter ... I should have googled it ... Appreciate it tho ... Phone Post
11/25/12 2:17 AM
World Peace's Left Elbow
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd rather see Chandler than Alvarez. Phone Post
11/25/12 3:26 AM
MMAologist
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris27 - Would the UFC wait 6 months for Bellators matching clause to expire before they talk with him?

That's what is seems like. I would do the same thing if I was the UFC. Anything the UFC offers Alvarez, Bellator will match. Phone Post
11/25/12 5:17 AM
Fernando Alonso

Eddie was making good money with Bellator. What happens if the UFC doesn't offer him more than Eddie was making in Bellator? Eddie needs the UFC more than the UFC needs him. Phone Post
11/25/12 7:13 AM
yellow wrkahlc
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAologist - 
Chris27 - Would the UFC wait 6 months for Bellators matching clause to expire before they talk with him?

That's what is seems like. I would do the same thing if I was the UFC. Anything the UFC offers Alvarez, Bellator will match. Phone Post

Yeeeeeuppppp.

11/25/12 11:50 AM
Chris27

Eddie was making 50/50 with Bellator, UFC offered Lombard 400k bonus for signing, 300k a fight and PPV money.

I'm pretty sure the UFC is gonna offer Eddie more than 100k a fight and I dont think Bellator will match. I dont know if Eddie is gonna want to sit out 6 months.

11/25/12 12:24 PM
Lobo8

Edited: 11/25/12 12:25 PM
Eddie will definetly go to the ufc. Money is one motivating factor but what he wants more is recognition. He has been fighting in a b league company for a while now and his career window is closing. He is tired of seeing his sparring partners(ex:frankie) get a ufc belt, glory, and ufc champ money. He understandably wants a piece of that
11/25/12 1:29 PM
Dana Stern

I'm sure Eddie and the UFC are banging out the terms of the deal now. It takes a bit of time to make sure everyone is where they want to be. Once the deal is finalized Bellator will receive it but it's not like the UFC are updating them with how things are coming along. Like others have said they may have a strategy as to how this whole thing is going to play out, or they don't want to give him too much money and then him go all Hector Lombard on them. Phone Post
11/25/12 1:35 PM
BaraoKix

He will wait out the 6 months.

Dana doesnt want to greatly OVERPAY, like he did for Lombard...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.