UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Greco VS Judo/Sambo for MMA takedowns

11/25/12 1:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Timmmayyyy
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are the advantages and disadvantages for each art under MMA rules/ for self defense on the street?

It seems most judo throws have an easy counter, ie if he tries to throw u one way you can counter throw him the other way.

But with greco you pick him up then throw him so its much harder to counter, seems more effective.

It seems judo is better for taking on bigger people it has more leverage, and greco is better for taking on those of a similar size.

It seems greco is suited to bare top fighting and judo suited to fighting with clothes especially if they are wearing a coat/ jacket lol.

Forget the other aspects judo and sambo has this question is just about takedowns. Especially takedowns in MMA. It just seems greco/ free style wrestling is superior and theres no point even learning a single judo throw as they are just less reliable under MMA settings!?
11/27/12 3:48 PM
ceoJUSTGIPANTSdotCOM
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judo is a great compliment to anyones takedown arsenal. there are a lot of great highlights of judo in MMA on youtube. we dont see a lot of judo from american fighters because judo isnt so popular here,but as more europeans start fighting in the big events,we'll start to see more and more judo.

here is one of those highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOV3qVIEFng
11/28/12 7:00 AM
judoblackbelt
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Greco to me takes a lot of strenth to do their throws and requires a body clinch of some sort. Judo throws can be learned/practiced and developed thru competition and might be more safer to learn and do in a street comfrontation. Just me thoughts.
11/28/12 8:19 PM
Wade Garrett
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"It seems most judo throws have an easy counter-he tries to throw you one way and you throw him another".

Oh my...
While it may seem that way, in truth, saying that is a bit like saying that boxing punches have an easy counter...just move out the way whenever they are thrown.
Or that BJJ submissions are easily countered by not going to the ground.

I would suggest trying both of them, and doing whichever one you like more. But for the love of Kimura and Gable, DON'T repeat the above statement to a serious judoka in real life.
12/3/12 7:11 PM
nowaydo
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The one that gives "you personally" the most advantages will be best.

For me, Wrestling is my sword and Judo is my shield.

Judo is usually my "fail safe" button. Usually my first attack is wrestling and my follow-up is judo/sambo. Judo can make up for your mistakes in wrestling and the reverse.

If you "master" wrestling control ties, almost all judo is possible in MMA. But first you must "master" control ties, whizzer, underhook, seatbelt grip, bodylocks, over the back lat grip, inside and outside 2 on 1, head and arm, front headlock..."
12/4/12 8:31 AM
Missing Glove Tape

nowaydo - The one that gives "you personally" the most advantages will be best.

For me, Wrestling is my sword and Judo is my shield.

Judo is usually my "fail safe" button. Usually my first attack is wrestling and my follow-up is judo/sambo. Judo can make up for your mistakes in wrestling and the reverse.

If you "master" wrestling control ties, almost all judo is possible in MMA. But first you must "master" control ties, whizzer, underhook, seatbelt grip, bodylocks, over the back lat grip, inside and outside 2 on 1, head and arm, front headlock..."

This.
12/21/12 3:46 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

do you have any idea how difficult it is to find a real Greco coach in the USA???? to be very honest, I think I know about 6 of them, who are legit, and not a one of them necessarily does only Greco.. Most are HS or College coaches now and they focus the majority of their time on that.

sure, you can find guys who say "oh, I did Greco and I loved it" but that's total bullcrap. anybody can "do Greco" seeing how all you need to do is buy a USA Wrestling card, pay an entry fee and go compete... but, people who REALLY know Greco... hell, they are harder to find than a needle in a haystack.

12/22/12 5:34 PM
nowaydo
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree, Josh. I traveled out of state to find good greco coaching. Then, my chiropractor, who was a former college wrestler, introduced me to three guys who were right in my hometown that were former international level greco wrestlers.One, was a national champion.

There is no way I would of found theses guys on my own.I lived and trained in this town for over 15 years and never heard of them. They were all over 50 years old, yet still able to out pummel me when we started training. Later, after training with them for six months, not so much. I had to warm them up to MMA, for they were a little closed minded in the beginning.

You can't go in the phone book and find good wrestling coaching period.

I've found people who wrestled in greco, even were HS champs, yet they didn't know the true art and science of greco. They were just average folk wrestlers who entered greco tournaments.
12/23/12 2:50 PM
trainhardtwoin

Not trying to play devils advocate. But I think Wrestling and Judo can both be good for Street self defense. Judo is very intricate but still simple enough to be performed in high stress/adrenaline situations. I am not a wrestler... but I see wrestling throws that look similar to throws in Judo/Jujutsu. Although I have seen suplexes that look like they require a lot of energy to be exerted. But it just depends on how you train in it. You have to gear it to be self defense oriented.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.