UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How viable is the 50/50 position in MMA?

11/25/12 10:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
caseharts
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A guy on here subbed a guy in a 50 50. It works. I've used it to subdue big dudes while working security. Phone Post
11/25/12 10:41 PM
elburrogrande
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP'eedInMyMouth - 50/50 will be the end of exciting mma.

guessing you didnt want the marcin held vs rich clementi fight. this isnt jiu-jitsu. Very hard to stall from 50/50 in mma
11/25/12 10:42 PM
elburrogrande
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i meant watch^^^^^
11/25/12 10:58 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

defendbrooklyn -  50/50 works great till u get punched in the friggen face commiting 2 hands to a leg lock Phone Post

I would take those punches to the face in exchange for ripping apart the other guy's knee. In 50/50 position; Submissions > ground and pound
11/25/12 11:12 PM
GladiatorGannon
259 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheBulgarianAssassin - 
defendbrooklyn -  50/50 works great till u get punched in the friggen face commiting 2 hands to a leg lock Phone Post

I would take those punches to the face in exchange for ripping apart the other guy's knee. In 50/50 position; Submissions > ground and pound

Those are fine. It's the times you get punched in the head WITHOUT submitting the guy that cost you.
11/25/12 11:18 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ in 50/50, they don't have a good base to punch you so the punches from that position wouldn't do much damage. I know from experience as in my MMA fight, I committed both of my arms for a submission while the guy punched me in the face a good 5 times in a row before he tapped out.

It's all about being aware of the position because there are many mistakes a person can make and get submitted from there.
11/26/12 12:15 AM
defendbrooklyn
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not saying you can't ruin a guy's leg with an effective 50/50 game. I'm just saying its not going to sweep
mma like it has in sport bjj simply because not everyone can be as effective at keeping an opponent from dribbling their head aginst the ground or whipping a couple hooks from being so close. Honestly figure four your legs and each time he reaches give him a crack in the face, i guarentee they'll be more timid about engaging from that position. Phone Post
11/26/12 1:59 AM
melancoholic
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think there's a 50/50 chance it works
11/26/12 9:53 AM
grrr

I think 50/50 is great and seen Imanari and the old pancrase do it but I don't think its the best leg lock posistion.What I don't like about the 50/50 is that its an equal posistion unless your are much more skilled to take advantage of it. IMO feel best leg lock control is done from reaping position where you have more control and in a dominant posistion like Riely Bodycombs leg knot.
11/26/12 12:02 PM
notsobigmike
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't have a ton of first-hand experience, but it seems like you also need a somewhat-willing partner to engage in the position.

It seems like it's hard to hold against someone who's hell-bent on just getting back to the feet.
11/26/12 2:07 PM
elburrogrande

notsobigmike - I don't have a ton of first-hand experience, but it seems like you also need a somewhat-willing partner to engage in the position.

It seems like it's hard to hold against someone who's hell-bent on just getting back to the feet.

it is actually the opposite. it is incredibly difficult to just get out of that position. Because of the way your legs are entangled you are in a constant danger of foot attacks and also constantly off balance. This is why people complain in jiu jitsu about the position.
11/26/12 3:20 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin

notsobigmike - I don't have a ton of first-hand experience, but it seems like you also need a somewhat-willing partner to engage in the position.

Not true. If you transition into that position then you're in that position. Also, if the other guys stands up then you can sweep him back down most of the time.
11/26/12 5:01 PM
bhealthy

liquidrob - The old pancrase guys were the original 50/50 players, it has always been in MMA

well it has definitely picked up a Mastre LLoyd Irvin twist since ancient greece or recenr japan
11/26/12 5:07 PM
bhealthy

unfortunately a lot of the people that train this position 6 hours a day can have you screaming for an ambulance faster than you can generate power for a fight-ending punch from uke position.

many are completing the heel hook without committing both hands for very long.

PS. dont sleep on little girls that are mastering this position. they will cripple your ass.
11/26/12 5:17 PM
Ozzimandias
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SamboSlim187 -  I'd say about 50% viable. Phone Post

it works 50% of the time, all the time...

11/26/12 5:24 PM
yellow's Willin
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Enemies - Obvious answer is yes. Anything that you see successful in a sub-element of MMA will be successfully used in MMA as well at some point or another. Maybe even common.
Not true at all. There has not been a single successful Omaplata finish in the UFC to this day.

/mindblown.gif Phone Post
11/26/12 5:25 PM
cortXbomb

liquidrob - The old pancrase guys were the original 50/50 players, it has always been in MMA

Truth. "Mutually fighting for leglocks" being some new "esoteric leg entanglement" is an absurd notion.
11/26/12 5:26 PM
cortXbomb

yellow's Willin - 
Enemies - Obvious answer is yes. Anything that you see successful in a sub-element of MMA will be successfully used in MMA as well at some point or another. Maybe even common.
Not true at all. There has not been a single successful Omaplata finish in the UFC to this day.

'cause every time someone tries an omoplata in UFC they either just sit there and strike, accept the sweep, or try it from a million miles away so the guy pulls right out.

Nothing will be completed if it is not honestly attempted.
11/26/12 6:21 PM
yellow's Willin
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cortXbomb -
yellow's Willin - 

'cause every time someone tries an omoplata in UFC they either just sit there and strike, accept the sweep, or try it from a million miles away so the guy pulls right out.

Nothing will be completed if it is not honestly attempted.
Haha.. you think it hasn't been "honestly attempted" in the entire history of the UFC? Come on, BRAH Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.