UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Which top boxers would do well in MMA?

11/25/12 9:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bucephalus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Given pure boxing talent and the assumption that they could pick up enough takedown & submission defense, which boxers would have the most success in MMA today?

What styles of pure boxing would translate the best to MMA? ex. Inside, Outside, Counter, Brawler, Swarmer, Peekaboo, etc.
11/25/12 9:49 PM
Bucephalus

Well damn... I though it was a pretty good question. :(
11/25/12 9:50 PM
UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike Alvardo was a great High school wrestler.
Pawel Wolak i think is entering MMA now. He used to wrestle as well.
Kermit Cintron was originally a wrestler.
11/25/12 9:51 PM
UGCTT Private First Class America
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vitali Klitschko, he was some kind of kickboxing champ. Phone Post
11/25/12 9:53 PM
UGCTT_Song2
746 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kimbo. Phone Post
11/25/12 9:54 PM
heavyweightmma

I'm guessing outside boxing and counter boxing would be the most effective in MMA.

Boxers like Wladimir and Vitali Klitschko, who are strong outside and counter boxers, would do pretty good if they had experience with takedown and submission defense.

But even then, I see someone as big as JDS and Cain taking them down with ease. Some of the UFC's greatest in the HW division have trained wrestling their whole lives, but haven't been able to stop the takedowns of JDS and Cain.

JDS took down Carwin, and Cain took down everyone else he fought including Lesnar, and never got tired.

Would love to see someone like Pacquiao(sp?) fight int he UFC with some grappling experience.
11/25/12 9:55 PM
Dazednconfused
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All of them. If they learned the ground game. Phone Post
11/25/12 10:12 PM
Gator Choke
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kermit Cintron. Was a highly successful high school wrestler in Pennsylvania and was recruited to wrestle by both Ohio State and University of Wisconsin. Wound up going to a smaller school in PA, finished in the top ten in his freshman year, then turned to boxing after the school dropped it's wrestling program.
11/25/12 10:14 PM
Bucephalus

I'm asking about boxing not boxers who wrestle.

I tend to agree with heavyweightmma... outside punchers and counter punchers would probably do best. But inside fighting would be really effective against the cage...
11/25/12 10:49 PM
KZTT_MMAfan55
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think James Toney would do well. I wish he would get in the octagon once Phone Post
11/25/12 11:12 PM
Heyzeus80
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rogerio noguiera Phone Post
11/26/12 1:24 AM
xXJayRobXx
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think if any boxing athlete of a high enough caliber wanted to switch from boxing to mma and he took the time to develop godly takedown/submission defense... Of course he could be a successful competitor in the cage. Phone Post
11/26/12 1:30 AM
SinCityHustler

xXJayRobXx -  I think if any boxing athlete of a high enough caliber wanted to switch from boxing to mma and he took the time to develop godly takedown/submission defense... Of course he could be a successful competitor in the cage. Phone Post

I can agree with this.  The question is at what level.  If the boxer is a grreat athlete and can develop his counter wreslting game, he could be lethal.  Look how far the sprawl and brawl style took Liddell and he wasn't a great boxer and not especially athletic.  He had good counter wrestling, a great chin and hit like a truck.  He went all the way to the world championship and defended it several times .  

At the highest levels, it's going to come down to can they stop a D1 AA or national champions take down.  

11/26/12 1:38 AM
voorhees

Kostya Tszyu.

Hit hard and was smart.

He would pick it up quick and be good at MMA.
11/26/12 2:59 AM
UGCTT_chuckles1
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can you imagine Andre Ward with subs?! No can defend. Phone Post
11/26/12 3:11 AM
MagnumBill
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've heard Andre Ward trains mma Phone Post
11/26/12 3:15 AM
colgan

Think David haye! Pretty nimble for a HW and has good power Phone Post
11/26/12 3:16 AM
Foob
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the counter punchers who move a lot, u have to think that their reflexes are really good, many of their mma fights could look like machida vs bader. when jds can knock everyone out so fast, i dont want to know how long they would survive against someone like vitali on the feet
11/26/12 3:24 AM
simonpe

KZTT_MMAfan55 - I think James Toney would do well. I wish he would get in the octagon once Phone Post
This Phone Post
11/26/12 5:02 AM
DEZBOT

It's not as easy as learn td defense and submission escapes, their are a ton of other things to learn like foot stance, knees, leg kicks, clinch and not to mention the countless amount of times we have seen great strikers become gun shy when they go against a grappler at the fear of a td. So in reality there is no reasonable way of saying who would be succesful in the crossover, if u give them matchups like jds, daley, noons they are gonna look great, win or lose, put em against mark bocek or Gleason tibau and they are gonna look like a fish outta water Phone Post
11/26/12 5:58 AM
Bootsy Collins
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isn't Enzo Maccarenelli a blue belt or something?
11/26/12 6:10 AM
pharochuck
284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
SinCityHustler -
xXJayRobXx -  I think if any boxing athlete of a high enough caliber wanted to switch from boxing to mma and he took the time to develop godly takedown/submission defense... Of course he could be a successful competitor in the cage. Phone Post

I can agree with this.  The question is at what level.  If the boxer is a grreat athlete and can develop his counter wreslting game, he could be lethal.  Look how far the sprawl and brawl style took Liddell and he wasn't a great boxer and not especially athletic.  He had good counter wrestling, a great chin and hit like a truck.  He went all the way to the world championship and defended it several times .  

At the highest levels, it's going to come down to can they stop a D1 AA or national champions take down.  

Chuck was a d-1 wrestler and very athletic. What he was doing was a little more than sprawl and brawl. His wrestling ability allowed him to dictate where he wanted the fight to take place. And not too many guys get a d-1 scholarship in any sport and not be athletic Phone Post
11/26/12 1:01 PM
SinCityHustler

pharochuck - 
SinCityHustler -

Chuck was a d-1 wrestler and very athletic. What he was doing was a little more than sprawl and brawl. His wrestling ability allowed him to dictate where he wanted the fight to take place. And not too many guys get a d-1 scholarship in any sport and not be athletic Phone Post

I don't mean he wasn't athletic relative to yourself or your friends, Chuck was my team mate, I know exactly how athletic he was.  I mean he wasn't one of these freak athletes we see at the highest levels of pro boxing, MMA, or other sports.  He wasn't exactly a George St. Pierre or a Floyd Mayweather Jr., he was a durable, tough guy, who could take a shot and deliver one back.  Like you said, he was a D1 wrestler, (although not an especially successful one) who had a ton of heart and brought it every single time.   Tito Ortiz is another example.  he wasn't an especially gifted wrestler or really good anywhere else, but he put it all together and he was very physical for his weight class at his time.  And that was enough to take him to the top.   

11/26/12 1:07 PM
FedorFTW

Andre Ward /threadclosed

11/26/12 2:33 PM
huggy bear

FedorFTW -

Andre Ward /threadclosed

Ward is my favorite Boxer, I would love to see him fight in the UFC at WW and hey he does spar with the Diaz bros so I wouldn't be shocked if they showed him some grappling. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.