UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> GSP: makes 15 million a year; no AS fight...yet

11/26/12 9:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BrattMamley
1038 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/11/26/3692332/georges-st-pierre-anderson-silva-fight-will-happen-when-the-time-is

The Georges St-Pierre vs. Anderson Silva super fight isn't a done deal just yet, and if GSP gets his way, it may not happen for a while.

In his first major interview since his UFC 154 win over Carlos Condit last weekend, St-Pierre told Radio-Canada's "Tout Le Monde en Parle" ("Everyone is Talking") on Sunday night that the time just isn't right for him fight Silva.

Below are his translated comments about the fight:

"This fight is the cherry on the sundae," he said. "He wants to fight me so he can then retire. I would like to fight him too, but after I fight him and win the fight, what happens next? These days, yeah, there's a lot of money to be made, but I don't fight for the money. My motivation is to be the best. Like we said, to be the Wayne Gretzky of my sport. So if I fight him, what happens next? It will be over. So yes, I want the fight, but I want to take it when I decide the time is right, not when he wants the fight to happen.

"On top of that, he weighs 234 pounds; I weigh 188. So there's a big weight difference. I've fought guys who were bigger -- I'm not scared of him -- it's just that I will take this fight when it makes sense for me. I just came back from an injury, there's money to be made, there are fights in my weight class, other challenges out there, and if I fight him, I will have to gain weight, while he will have to lose weight, and then afterwards, I won't be able to come back to my weight class.

"First and foremost, I have things to do at 170 pounds. When I am ready and when I want the fight, that's when it will happen."

Other notes from the show:

* GSP wore sunglasses throughout the entire interview because he said he had yet to fully heal from the Condit fight.

* GSP said he had Christmas dinner last year at Sylvester Stallone's house after his doctor wouldn't clear him to fly home from Los Angeles following knee surgery.

* Arnold Schwarzenegger called to congratulate him after last weekend's win.

* He thinks he could fight until he's 45 years old, but he guarantees he will be retired by then.

* The host said GSP makes approximately $15 million a year in addition to his UFC fight purses. GSP did not disagree.

* He said he's not quite the Gretzky of MMA but maybe the Joe Sakic.

11/26/12 9:10 AM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
"On top of that, he weighs 234 pounds; I weigh 188"
Come on Georges
11/26/12 9:11 AM
Phisher
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"On top of that, he weighs 234 pounds; I weigh 188."

11/26/12 9:31 AM
BrattMamley
1038 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah this weight discrepancy is getting ridiculous. Has Andy and GSP never taken a picture together? I don't think I've ever seen one.

11/26/12 9:31 AM
patrice

http://www.radio-canada.ca/emissions/tout_le_monde_en_parle/saison9/#leplayer

here's the vid (no sub)
11/26/12 9:35 AM
le

Good for him. I hope he sticks to it and doesn't get bullied into changing his mind.

Anderson needs to go defend his title and then if he wants a super fight he can fight JBJ. Phone Post
11/26/12 9:35 AM
Card
1977 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP needs to come out and tell Anderson to make 170 or sh*t up. Would make all the speculation alot easier.

11/26/12 9:37 AM
UGCTT_Paul_Blanka_Harris
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phisher - 

LMAO!!!!!!!!!

11/26/12 9:39 AM
le

Card -

GSP needs to come out and tell Anderson to make 170 or sh*t up. Would make all the speculation alot easier.

I agree, then Anderson would be stepping into Georges' territory it's a WW title defense. There would be no reason he should want to refuse. Phone Post
11/26/12 9:45 AM
le

le -
Card -

I agree, then Anderson would be stepping into Georges' territory it's a WW title defense. There would be no reason he should want to refuse. Phone Post
But at the same time, if Anderson does drop to 170, GSP's belt should be on the line. Phone Post
11/26/12 9:52 AM
youarewhatiswrong
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think this is GSP setting the table for negotiations with Dana. I think it's clear that this is the fight that the UFC wants to set up, and they can't wait too long as I don't see Silva continuing to fight for too much longer (I think he's ready to put a bow on top of his career with the GSP/Bones superfights).
11/26/12 10:10 AM
Stu Cazzo

I don't think GSP wants any part of Silva.

If Shields was landing on his face then just think about what Anderson would do.

11/26/12 10:15 AM
MinnowInaMankiniGotAced

Each time GSP mentions Silva, his weight seems to go up a few lbs.
11/26/12 10:22 AM
91W209
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's obvious that for whatever reason GSP doesn't NOT want to fight Silva. He has been asked (by the media) about the Silva fight for what? 4 years now? Anderson better make 170 or else GSP isn't going to take the fight. For the record, I think they should fight at a 177.5 lbs catch weight. Phone Post
11/26/12 10:22 AM
91W209
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

91W209 - It's obvious that for whatever reason GSP doesn't NOT want to fight Silva. He has been asked (by the media) about the Silva fight for what? 4 years now? Anderson better make 170 or else GSP isn't going to take the fight. For the record, I think they should fight at a 177.5 lbs catch weight. Phone Post
* does NOT Phone Post
11/26/12 10:26 AM
Neil Funk

Edited: 11/26/12 10:40 AM
I don't think GSP has anything at all to prove by fighting Silva. I hope he opts out of this fight unless Anderson is willing to cut down. As the smaller man, GSP makes the rules here. Silva should fight Jones if he wants a legacy fight, or keep giving fights to 185ers.

I don't understand this mad rush to de-legitimize the UFC belts. They have to mean something, or else what are these guys fighting for?
11/26/12 10:34 AM
MMALOGIC

He doesnt want to fight him... end of story.  Id like to see it but if GSP doesnt want it neither do I.  Let's move on....

GSP already has 2 money fights in his weight class (hendricks and Nick Diaz).  Both of which Id love to see.

Let's get the following card:

GSP vs Hendricks

Diaz vs Rory Macdonald (if he beats penn) or Diaz vs Nate Marquart.  This will be for the next title shot.

As far as Anderson goes... Zuffa is planning a stadium show in Brazil in 2013 so a vitor rematch would be huge down there (if he beats bisping).

11/26/12 11:02 AM
UGCTT_ Lay'n'PrayNINJA

Lmfao now Georges is saying he weighs 234????

So funny.

Keep waiting gsp. Maybe when Anderson gets his AARP membership you will be ready... Phone Post
11/26/12 11:14 AM
shaqitup
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dunno if 185 is too big for George's, as 170 really seems ideal for his body.
11/26/12 11:16 AM
3rdLion
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson is a fat 234, similarly to someone like Bisping who balloons up between fights. An in shape Anderson is only 200-205, he weighed in at 203 against Bonnar and didn't cut weight.
r_o_y

so it looks like he wants to go up in weight to fight silva. he wants to do it at the end of his 170 career. but when will that be? there can always be someone to come along and challenge him.

also if he moves up to 185 and loses (i think this is what is uncertain for him)who is to say he could not still be successful?

it looks like silva has to go to 170 in order for this to happen...
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
549 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Azn Keyboard Warrior -
Phisher -

Im not down for GSP VS SILVA, but gsp was just exaggerating. This is not correct.

Gsp is actually 192 while Anderson Silva is 220.

These weights were about 18 months ago so it may change from now. Phone Post
Did you know Rampage and Forrest weigh 250? Phone Post
11/26/12 11:19 AM
MMALOGIC

with 15m a year outside of the cage you cant fight more than twice a year.  Anderson probably doesnt make that much yet but this is why he cant fight very often.

11/26/12 11:24 AM
Trane

I told you guys in my other thread that this fight will never happen. GSP makes too much money just by being champ, why would he risk his reputation? Even if he loses to Anderson and his WW belt is not on the line it's still too much of a risk for him.
11/26/12 12:02 PM
PatrickVilone

GSP weighed in at 194 before he fought Shields, and did GSP not look a good amount bigger vs Condit? I'd say he's at or over the 200 mark now. And yeah, Silva is bigger. But he looked really chubby at the Bonnar weigh-in which he only weighed 203. I think weight wise it's pretty even. But GSP has this long recurring injury called .... "Vaginitas"

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.