UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Holy sh t Kierkegaard

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

11/26/12 10:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ogami Itto
238 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been trying to articulate this to myself and others for years and it's gratifying to know someone way smarter than me already articulated it (impacting Western thought in the process):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%B8ren_Kierkegaard#Philosophy_and_Theology

The leap of faith is his conception of how an individual would believe in God or how a person would act in love. Faith is not a decision based on evidence that, say, certain beliefs about God are true or a certain person is worthy of love. No such evidence could ever be enough to completely justify the kind of total commitment involved in true religious faith or romantic love. Faith involves making that commitment anyway. Kierkegaard thought that to have faith is at the same time to have doubt. So, for example, for one to truly have faith in God, one would also have to doubt one's beliefs about God; the doubt is the rational part of a person's thought involved in weighing evidence, without which the faith would have no real substance. Someone who does not realize that Christian doctrine is inherently doubtful and that there can be no objective certainty about its truth does not have faith but is merely credulous. For example, it takes no faith to believe that a pencil or a table exists, when one is looking at it and touching it. In the same way, to believe or have faith in God is to know that one has no perceptual or any other access to God, and yet still has faith in God.[149] Kierkegaard writes, "doubt is conquered by faith, just as it is faith which has brought doubt into the world".[150][151]
11/27/12 10:47 AM
CJJScout
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Kierkegaard a lot, but a lot has been written his "existential leap" in regards to faith in the 20th century. Francis Schaeffer, for one, had a lot to say about it.
11/27/12 10:51 AM
Ogami Itto
238 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CJJScout - I like Kierkegaard a lot, but a lot has been written his "existential leap" in regards to faith in the 20th century. Francis Schaeffer, for one, had a lot to say about it.

Tell me more!
11/27/12 11:21 AM
CJJScout
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a little rusty, but a lot of it has been attacked by other christian thinkers. Schaeffer, Plantinga, etc. Mostly from the reformed tradition (which I happen to fall in), but I personally think they could have used him more as an ally.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.