UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Bellator announces championship rematch clause

11/26/12 1:06 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

While fighters will continue to control their destiny in the Bellator cage, chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney has given himself some wiggle room.

The fight executive today announced a new championship-rematch clause that will go into effect with the organization's upcoming move to Spike TV.

When "called for," Rebney will have the option to book title-fight rematches.

Rebney said he listed to feedback and made the change.

"When a fighter's earned a shot at the world title by winning The Toughest Tournament in Sports and competes in a title fight that knocks fans like us back in our seats (win or lose) delivering an incredible fight, when a rematch is called for, we will deliver it." he wrote on bellator.com. "Championship fights give us some of the greatest moments in MMA. And, rematches of incredible championship fights will give fans like us more of those electrifying moments while staying true to the world’s best fighters having had to earn their way to those title shots."

read entire article...

11/26/12 1:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, COO

I like it. When close champsionship bouts happen, it sucks to have to wait out a tournament for another championship fight.

11/26/12 1:09 PM
stevia's sex slave
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like it. I was hoping this would be something like if the champion loses a non-title fight they rematch for the belt, but this is pretty good too. I'm guessing this is mostly in response to Alvarez/Chandler? Phone Post
11/26/12 1:12 PM
MMALOGIC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could this be a sign that they are re-signing Eddie Alvarez to make the chandler fight?

regardless, Spike is gonna throw the tournament concept out the window within a year.  It's too confusing, it has failed to create stars and it doesnt provide the fans the fights they wanna see.

11/26/12 1:15 PM
UGCTT_Pariah

I definitely think this is an addition that Rebney is making to re-sign Eddie Alvarez so he may rematch Chandler for his belt back.  I do agree that when a title fight is competitive there should be a rematch (like Chandler/Alvarez was).

I think they should keep the tournament format though; I like it and it makes it interesting and a little different than how other MMA organizations do.

11/26/12 1:15 PM
Chris27

This is the beginning of the change, you will see Bellator slowly start to move away from the tournament only title shots. I think Spike realizes the tournament format isnt the best format. You can potentially lose out on big fights.

And this rematch thing only complicates things further imo. What if Curran/Pitbull is a war, great fight, close debated decision. You order a rematch. What happens to DS, the winner of this upcoming tournament, the next tournament winner? You promised all of them title shots.

In the UFC if a rematch happens the next two contenders can fight, Bellator promised DS a title shot, promised the winner of this tournament a shot. You cant say you two now fight for a title shot.

11/26/12 1:19 PM
UGCTT_Gaspare

Good call Phone Post
11/26/12 1:23 PM
Card
2261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sweet.

11/26/12 2:24 PM
huggy bear

MMALOGIC -

Could this be a sign that they are re-signing Eddie Alvarez to make the chandler fight?

regardless, Spike is gonna throw the tournament concept out the window within a year.  It's too confusing, it has failed to create stars and it doesnt provide the fans the fights they wanna see.

I think they will keep the tournament but just modify it where only the more established/top fighters will be in it and not journeyman fighters and prospects from Brasil and Russia. They should have less tournaments and I think a top 4 man tourney is better then 8 in my opinion. Phone Post
11/26/12 2:26 PM
ABE FROMAN

Somebody is making big moves.

11/26/12 2:38 PM
UGCTT_Dinamita
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Finally Phone Post
11/26/12 2:50 PM
FixedPartialArts

The shift in philosophy is not definitely to re-sign Alvarez. The timing also (more heavily, actually) correlates with their move to Spike where they can now get a return on their investment into big fights. They paid Eddie 100K to beat Aoki and drew under 110K viewers (Eddie got almost a dollar per viewer), albeit after a mistake in the guide, and simulcasting, but still they were going to lose a high percentage of money on fights like those. Now they can support champions/names fighting more frequently. Staying strict to the tourney system was a way to keep costs down.

A strict tourney format was never the fairest way to operate on account that Eddie shouldn't drop to the same rung on the ladder as Rene Nazare and Hieron as Tim Welch. Alvarez negotiation or not, this was always going to be a natural evolution for title system in the organization.

Interim titles should be next.

Then I'd also organize a champion's league with another major organization in the future like OneFC looks to become. Losing to another major org champ wouldn't cheapen the belt anymore than Chuck losing to Rampage did. And I gotta figure Bellator would win a good majority of those matches anyways.

This is a great first step for Bellator though staying true to the integrity of the tourney format, while keeping champs a little busier, and supplying fans fights they want to see.
11/26/12 4:00 PM
mmavixen
1121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like this a lot.  I am glad Bellator isn't "married" to their format and the organization seems willing to adapt.  I think Bellator will only get better.  This next year on Spike should be very exciting for them.

11/26/12 4:06 PM
SickEyeDiaz
462 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This just in...

Frankie Edgar and Uriah Faber have signed with Bellator.
11/26/12 4:18 PM
MMALOGIC

SickEyeDiaz - This just in...

and kenny florian.

11/26/12 4:25 PM
Fernando Alonso

MMALOGIC -
SickEyeDiaz - This just in...

and kenny florian.

Meaning KenFlo comes out of retirement. Phone Post
11/26/12 5:09 PM
Chris27

FixedPartialArts - The shift in philosophy is not definitely to re-sign Alvarez. The timing also (more heavily, actually) correlates with their move to Spike where they can now get a return on their investment into big fights. They paid Eddie 100K to beat Aoki and drew under 110K viewers (Eddie got almost a dollar per viewer), albeit after a mistake in the guide, and simulcasting, but still they were going to lose a high percentage of money on fights like those. Now they can support champions/names fighting more frequently. Staying strict to the tourney system was a way to keep costs down.

A strict tourney format was never the fairest way to operate on account that Eddie shouldn't drop to the same rung on the ladder as Rene Nazare and Hieron as Tim Welch. Alvarez negotiation or not, this was always going to be a natural evolution for title system in the organization.

Then I'd also organize a champion's league with another major organization in the future like OneFC looks to become. Losing to another major org champ wouldn't cheapen the belt anymore than Chuck losing to Rampage did. And I gotta figure Bellator would win a good majority of those matches anyways.

This is a great first step for Bellator though staying true to the integrity of the tourney format, while keeping champs a little busier, and supplying fans fights they want to see.

I think its good and I think most fans will think its good but this just shows they are gonna move away from tournament only title shots. Its SPike, Spike isnt stupid, they are gonna do it little by little and one day you will see someone get a title shot without winning a tournament. Its gonna make Bjorn look bad because for years he has has been saying our guys earn shots, UFC guys dont and his whole format is gonna change to be exactly like the UFC, what's he gonna say?

First its title shot rematches, then its interim titles, then its a guy gets injured and a non tournament winner replaces him and then its signing a legit top fighter who is a big name who gets thrown into a title fight either right away or after winning one fight.

And no way is Bellator gonna work with other orgs to do champ vs champ fights. They just saw their BW champ get knocked out in a regional org in Brazil, trying now to promote Dudu as some beast phenom top 5 BW is over. You will never see another Bellator champ fight outside the org nor will you see them co promote with another org. They may sign another orgs champ to fight their champ but its gonna be in a Bellator cage and they will have that fighter locked into a contract.
11/26/12 5:47 PM
CindyO

Chris27 - 
FixedPartialArts - The shift in philosophy is not definitely to re-sign Alvarez. The timing also (more heavily, actually) correlates with their move to Spike where they can now get a return on their investment into big fights. They paid Eddie 100K to beat Aoki and drew under 110K viewers (Eddie got almost a dollar per viewer), albeit after a mistake in the guide, and simulcasting, but still they were going to lose a high percentage of money on fights like those. Now they can support champions/names fighting more frequently. Staying strict to the tourney system was a way to keep costs down.

I think its good and I think most fans will think its good but this just shows they are gonna move away from tournament only title shots. Its SPike, Spike isnt stupid, they are gonna do it little by little and one day you will see someone get a title shot without winning a tournament. Its gonna make Bjorn look bad because for years he has has been saying our guys earn shots, UFC guys dont and his whole format is gonna change to be exactly like the UFC, what's he gonna say?

First its title shot rematches, then its interim titles, then its a guy gets injured and a non tournament winner replaces him and then its signing a legit top fighter who is a big name who gets thrown into a title fight either right away or after winning one fight.

And no way is Bellator gonna work with other orgs to do champ vs champ fights. They just saw their BW champ get knocked out in a regional org in Brazil, trying now to promote Dudu as some beast phenom top 5 BW is over. You will never see another Bellator champ fight outside the org nor will you see them co promote with another org. They may sign another orgs champ to fight their champ but its gonna be in a Bellator cage and they will have that fighter locked into a contract.

Yep. Bye-bye tournament format, earned title shots, and non-exclusive contracts. Too bad- I liked that they dared to be different.

Cindy

11/26/12 7:10 PM
Dana Stern

All I've ever heard from the people at Bellator was that they were different, that our guys have to earn their shot, the tournament will always dictate the champ/contender, we won't waiver. Now everything they have stood for is all going to slowly go away? I don't get it? I mean I get it, but just how quickly they changed their tune. Oh well I think there will be better fights and a bit more wiggle room for them to create excitement. Phone Post
11/26/12 7:43 PM
FixedPartialArts

CindyO - 
Chris27 - 

Yep. Bye-bye tournament format, earned title shots, and non-exclusive contracts. Too bad- I liked that they dared to be different.

Cindy

Shill it up, Cindy.

Bellator has still maintained the integrity of the tourney format and this is not a sign they'll stray.

In this case the guy getting a title shot would have earned it by recently winning a tourney and theoretically reigning as champ or only narrowly losing to the org's #1.

In the case of an interim title fight, the participants would have recently won a tourney, and it's not for the official belt anyways.

As far as phasing out non-exclusive contracts, that would be the sign of the growth of an organization, which is why it bothers you as a Zuffa employee. They'll still have non-exclusive contracts for a while until they hold a tourney every season and find ways like title rematches to keep their top guys busier. I'm sure they'd let a Khalidov moonlight w/ KSW where at this juncture they might justify paying more on a per fight basis, if he fortified their MW tourney. Eventually they wouldn't need other organizations (outside of being involved in a champion's league like I suggested) because they could accommodate all the fighter's needs themselves, that's the goal.
11/26/12 7:49 PM
FixedPartialArts

Chris27 - 

Well, Bibiano Fernandes is not Tyson Nam. If Dantas lost to him he wouldn't take near the same perceptional hit.

And Bellator would be turning over champs quicker on Spike, plus my idea would be for the champion's league to be a yearly thing, so he'd get another try soon enough, or not even still be champ by then.

If Bellator won a good majority of fights in a co-pro they'd entrench themselves as the superior org. That's the big picture. Plus you get reach on the other side of the globe and match-ups with major intrigue and investment.
11/26/12 8:07 PM
MountainMedic
668 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personally I think its just insurance against losing champions to the UFC.
Win ir lose a big big fight, the last one on your contract, Bellator still owns you.

I love Bellator, love the format, love the production. But this is a big league move right out if the zuffa playbook. Phone Post
11/26/12 11:09 PM
RKing85
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

excellent news.

Definitly announced this to try and swing Alvares their way, but no matter why they are doing it, it is great fucking news.
11/27/12 12:34 AM
CindyO

FixedPartialArts - 
CindyO - 
Chris27 - 

Cindy

Shill it up, Cindy.

Bellator has still maintained the integrity of the tourney format and this is not a sign they'll stray.

In this case the guy getting a title shot would have earned it by recently winning a tourney and theoretically reigning as champ or only narrowly losing to the org's #1.

In the case of an interim title fight, the participants would have recently won a tourney, and it's not for the official belt anyways.

As far as phasing out non-exclusive contracts, that would be the sign of the growth of an organization, which is why it bothers you as a Zuffa employee. They'll still have non-exclusive contracts for a while until they hold a tourney every season and find ways like title rematches to keep their top guys busier. I'm sure they'd let a Khalidov moonlight w/ KSW where at this juncture they might justify paying more on a per fight basis, if he fortified their MW tourney. Eventually they wouldn't need other organizations (outside of being involved in a champion's league like I suggested) because they could accommodate all the fighter's needs themselves, that's the goal.

Shill it up, Cindy.

LMFAO! You're calling ME a shill... after the reach around you just gave Bellator? Dude, shut up.

That's you're opinion. But Chris27 make a strong case that this IS a sign. And his POV makes sense. You certainly don't have to agree.

But how is that fair? You have a winner and a loser and the judges decide the score. Unless its a draw, there should be no immediate rematch- that's a "strike while the iron is hot" money oriented decision, which calls into question the competence of the judges as well as a promoters ability to manipulate matches. The loser is supposed to go to the end of the line and then come back next year- that's how they sold their brand to the masses. It's not unfair nor is it unexpected. These fighters know what's up. It's not broken so why mess with it? For money and ratings;) I think Chris27's comments are on point and reasonable.

As far as phasing out non-exclusive contracts, that would be the sign of the growth of an organization, which is why it bothers you as a Zuffa employee.

LOL@ me being a Zuffa employee. I don't work for them, never have. I'm not bothered by their changes as I will still watch. I just think it's funny how they are slowly moving in a direction they have been critical of Zuffa about in the past;)

They'll still have non-exclusive contracts for a while until they hold a tourney every season and find ways like title rematches to keep their top guys busier. I'm sure they'd let a Khalidov moonlight w/ KSW where at this juncture they might justify paying more on a per fight basis, if he fortified their MW tourney. Eventually they wouldn't need other organizations (outside of being involved in a champion's league like I suggested) because they could accommodate all the fighter's needs themselves, that's the goal.

Blah, blah, blah with your predictions, LaToya. Time will tell.

Cindy

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.