UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> training 40+ & eating red meat

11/26/12 3:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
rondon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

your thoughts on guys over 40 & adding red meat to diet, I've never really liked red meat so haven't included it in my diet all my adult life & preferred to eat fish, chicken& turkey. are their any benefits form adding red meat or stick with what I know
cheer
11/26/12 4:56 PM
Taku
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey rondon,

I don't see any reason to add in the red meat. If you don't enjoy it, why force yourself?

TAKU

11/27/12 3:13 AM
andyman011

RobinHood - Red meat contains whole protein. Contains all the good stuff you need. If you train a lot I don't see any reason why age matters consuming red meat.

Find other tasty alternatives if you need to up your protein intake.

I read that ground beef is not a good protein source as the cell structure has been mashed up beyond protein beneficial. Phone Post
That's interesting, logic would say that if there's protein in it before, it wouldn't disappear, regardless if its minced. It's like saying there's omega 3 in eggs.. until they're scrambled and then it just breaks down and is no longer significant Phone Post
11/27/12 9:27 AM
vermonter
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/27/12 9:45 AM
andyman011 - 
RobinHood - Red meat contains whole protein. Contains all the good stuff you need. If you train a lot I don't see any reason why age matters consuming red meat.

Find other tasty alternatives if you need to up your protein intake.

I read that ground beef is not a good protein source as the cell structure has been mashed up beyond protein beneficial. Phone Post

That's interesting, logic would say that if there's protein in it before, it wouldn't disappear, regardless if its minced. It's like saying there's omega 3 in eggs.. until they're scrambled and then it just breaks down and is no longer significant Phone Post

Or that the protein in powders isn't good.

Or that protein after consumption and digestion isn't good.

I'm curious where this was read from...
11/27/12 8:16 PM
Badmonkey
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you can get grass fed beef from a local farm it would be the healthiest thing you could do for yourself next eating farm fresh eggs.

Over processing does affect the amino acid and fatty acid profile - especially if there are additives and excessive temperature changes involved in the process.

Simply cutting or grinding shouldnt be a problem.

11/27/12 8:18 PM
Badmonkey
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

An example would be the bioavailability of a protein source before and after it's cooked...
11/27/12 10:11 PM
1armedScissor
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I absolutely adore red meat. Never had a problem with it when I was younger. Problem I have now that I'm older is that given the choice between red meat and white meat, I still eat the same "physical amount". The difference is in the extra calories that red meat has over say a similar sized portion of chicken or fish.

It's not the red meat my older metabolism is having a hard time with, it's the extra calories.
11/28/12 12:08 AM
turducken

some cuts of really high quality grassfed beef and buffalo are actually leaner than chicken breast. still, there is absolutely no reason to eat beef(or any other individual food for that matter), if you dont want to.
11/28/12 2:30 PM
vermonter
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This should tell you what you need to know about red meat, and much much more.

11/29/12 3:20 PM
big_slacker
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ That's more scientific than fully 75% of the stuff posted here. :D
11/30/12 9:40 AM
vermonter

Agreed. Swanson is a great man.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.