UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Next UK UFC show in London, February

11/28/12 3:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
john joe
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web monkey
Jarvis73 - 
Goderson Silva -
MooSaucy -
Chimp Strength -
3rdLion - Travel to London and accommodation there is going to be ridiculously expensive for a Fuel card and the ticket prices for Nottingham were astronomically high for the talent there (though admittedly the fights were good).

Fuck that.
My feelings exactly:

£150 for a ticket, then travel, hotel, food and beer, it's not a cheap do. Add to that the extra it will cost just because its London rather than anywhere else in the country plus the ball ache journey and I'm out.

If they want me to travel to London, at least give me a PPV. We haven't had one in the North since UFC 80. Phone Post
105 was in Manchester. Phone Post
Correct that was a weak card also Phone Post
Manchester isn't north you southern fairys.bring it back to The north east Phone Post

you lot in the north-east are actually Scottish though

- a Manc
11/28/12 3:20 PM
john joe
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/28/12 3:21 PM
Fight! UK Online - 

Update: After speaking to PR people surrounding the UFC, we were told the UFC have not confirmed any events in the UK for 2013. The Ticketmaster link has subsequently been updated with, "We currently do not have any tickets on-sale for UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship."

that old chestnut eh :)

the amount of bollockings i had over the years first from AE and now from RC about announcing event dates before they confirmed them etc. They always kick off about it :/

i dont mind tellings off from RC so much though :)
11/28/12 3:35 PM
UGCTT_mofit
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just read they added matt riddle vs. che mills for this event. should be a good fight

11/28/12 3:45 PM
Jarvis73
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Localcup -
Jarvis73 -
Goderson Silva -
MooSaucy -
Chimp Strength -
3rdLion - Travel to London and accommodation there is going to be ridiculously expensive for a Fuel card and the ticket prices for Nottingham were astronomically high for the talent there (though admittedly the fights were good).

Fuck that.
My feelings exactly:

£150 for a ticket, then travel, hotel, food and beer, it's not a cheap do. Add to that the extra it will cost just because its London rather than anywhere else in the country plus the ball ache journey and I'm out.

If they want me to travel to London, at least give me a PPV. We haven't had one in the North since UFC 80. Phone Post
Manchester isn't north you southern fairys.bring it back to The north east Phone Post
Ah the good old days row 7 on the floor at Newcastle £225 with £25 booking fee Phone Post
Posh fucker, I paid £25 Phone Post
11/28/12 3:48 PM
Jarvis73
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john joe -
Jarvis73 - 
Goderson Silva -
MooSaucy -
Chimp Strength -

Fuck that.
My feelings exactly:

- a Manc
Haha I suppose our accents are both gobbledygook to the untrained ear. There's people from the west end of Newcastle I can't even understand. It's just a noise Phone Post
11/28/12 4:20 PM
Fight! UK Online
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john joe - 
Fight! UK Online - 

Update: After speaking to PR people surrounding the UFC, we were told the UFC have not confirmed any events in the UK for 2013. The Ticketmaster link has subsequently been updated with, "We currently do not have any tickets on-sale for UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship."

that old chestnut eh :)

the amount of bollockings i had over the years first from AE and now from RC about announcing event dates before they confirmed them etc. They always kick off about it :/

i dont mind tellings off from RC so much though :)

Haha, I actually said, "I realise you're just telling me this as the offical line, right?" No more was said.

11/29/12 4:29 AM
Fight! UK Online
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

butters 209 -  Last decent uk card was Henderson vs rampage now what a card that was !!! Phone Post

In terms of big names on paper, you're probably right. Hughes vs. Alves was a big name fight and came after that - you had Bisping, Werdum, Kampmann, Swick, Marquardt etc. on there but it wasn't as strong.

Every UK event I've been to (all of them since UFC 70) have delivered good fights though, regardless of name value.

11/29/12 5:04 AM
Chimp Strength
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ Thats one thing I cant deny, regardless of the names, the fights have always delivered.

11/29/12 5:38 AM
El Toro UK
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chimp Strength -

^^^ Thats one thing I cant deny, regardless of the names, the fights have always delivered.

The number of big name/meaningful fights have declined since setanta sports went tits up. But yeah no denying the majority of UK fights have delivered Phone Post
11/29/12 9:37 AM
random_muppett
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jarvis73 -
john joe -
Jarvis73 - 
Goderson Silva -
MooSaucy -
Chimp Strength -

Fuck that.
My feelings exactly:

- a Manc
Haha I suppose our accents are both gobbledygook to the untrained ear. There's people from the west end of Newcastle I can't even understand. It's just a noise Phone Post
As a Glaswegian I'd swap Edinburgh for Newcastle in a heartbeat.

RM
Chieftain, TartanTopTeam Phone Post
11/29/12 11:09 AM
Fight! UK Online

Penn vs. Stevenson in Newcastle was pretty cool actually. Kelly vs Taylor, Werdum vs. Gonzaga and some big KOs!

11/29/12 11:16 AM
Chimp Strength
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

El Toro UK - 
Chimp Strength -

The number of big name/meaningful fights have declined since setanta sports went tits up. But yeah no denying the majority of UK fights have delivered Phone Post

The only way we're going to see PPV level cards over here again is if Dana starts making some of that SKY money.  I just don't see SKY getting involved with the UFC at this point in time so we could be waiting a while.

11/29/12 11:18 AM
john joe

El Toro UK - 
Chimp Strength -

how important would you say the context and meaning of a fight is to your viewer enjoyment?

i personally just like watchign kickass fights, the fight is the main thing to me, but i get the impression a lot of people need to see title shots riding on the line or some sort of clear rankings implication or something?
11/29/12 11:31 AM
Fight! UK Online

Yeah, people definitely want that. It doesn't really bother me - the atmosphere has always been significantly better for the likes of Bisping/Hardy than the Penn/Stevenson or Rampage/Hendo title fights we had here.

11/29/12 11:35 AM
Outlaw'd by Lytle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fight! UK Online -

It is probably still happening, just UFC not confirming it for now. Glory moved their event on the same night back to March, and listings on Ticketmaster don't just go up by accident, they probably just jumped the gun.

You can get accomodation and book traverl for cheap prices this far in advance. Haven't been to a bad UK event yet - always been great fights, but anything can happen.

Far too risky booking flights etc at this stage.

I'd wait for more details.... Phone Post
11/29/12 11:46 AM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
Just fill the card with talents like Nelson, Manuwa, Etim, Sass, Hardy plus add few new comers. Then throw in few well known yanks and couple Brazilians to mix it up. Boom, we got a fight card.
11/29/12 11:48 AM
craigsmfc
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stayrad - Waiting for a Scottish date Phone Post
This.

The sooner the Hydro in Glasgow opens for business the better. Then I can afford to drink myself into a coma afterwards and crash in my own bed. Phone Post
11/29/12 12:17 PM
john joe

craigsmfc - 
This.

The sooner the Hydro in Glasgow opens for business the better. Then I can afford to drink myself into a coma afterwards and crash in my own bed. Phone Post

straight off to Diamond Dollz afterwards
11/29/12 7:33 PM
tomp6581
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is my problem with the UFC UK events.... They don't feature THE elite talent anymore.

Do they have great fights. Yes. But lots of organisations have great fights, Cage Warriors for example is a good organisation for Up-coming uk fighters that always has good fights. The UFC is THE premier MMA organisation, and I want to see THE premier fighters/fights

I've been to 6 UFC events so far and had the privilege of seeing Arlovski, Cro Cop, Machida, Couture, Hughes, Shogun, Hendrson, Franklin, Werdum, Bisping, Rampage etc etc all fight. Seeing those names justifies spending a lot more money on events.

The recent UK UFC events simply don't have that same level of anymore. They have taken that away. Yes, they have great fights, but we should EXPECT that!

It is hard to justify spending so much money to go and watch these events. I'd rather not go to any of them and save the money for a long weekend in Vegas to watch the Big boys fight. Phone Post
11/29/12 7:34 PM
craigsmfc
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john joe -
craigsmfc - 
This.

Hence the appeal of a Glasgow card! Phone Post
11/30/12 4:10 AM
El Toro UK
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chimp Strength -
El Toro UK - 
Chimp Strength -

The only way we're going to see PPV level cards over here again is if Dana starts making some of that SKY money.  I just don't see SKY getting involved with the UFC at this point in time so we could be waiting a while.

Yeah getting on SKY SPORTS or another channel that pays big money is the only way DFW is going to put FOX/PPV events on in UK he's made that quite clear in the Nottingham press conference. Phone Post
11/30/12 4:14 AM
El Toro UK

El Toro UK -
Chimp Strength -
El Toro UK - 
Chimp Strength -

Yeah getting on SKY SPORTS or another channel that pays big money is the only way DFW is going to put FOX/PPV events on in UK he's made that quite clear in the Nottingham press conference. Phone Post
Sky also seem happy with supporting UCMMA Phone Post
11/30/12 5:22 AM
john joe

craigsmfc - 
john joe -
craigsmfc - 
This.

Hence the appeal of a Glasgow card! Phone Post

i went to a show at Braehead in Glasgow a few years back and the ring girls were from Diamond Dollz; one of them had the biggest naturals ive ever seen on any ring girl. We went to track her down later that night but were told she had got so drunk at work she fell off her platform shoes, hurt herself and had to go home :/
11/30/12 6:31 AM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com
RobinHood -  I read on twitter that Gary Cook has said there will be 3 European events.

My guess is: London (confirmed) Milan and either Ireland or Sweden. Phone Post

UFC in Sweden would require Gustafsson to headline it. If Gustafsson wins against Shogun, it's likely that he will get a shot at the title. I would assume that Gusse is willing to wait for that until late summer/early fall with JBJ vs Sonnen going down in April.
11/30/12 6:57 AM
El Toro UK

john joe -
El Toro UK - 
Chimp Strength -

how important would you say the context and meaning of a fight is to your viewer enjoyment?

i personally just like watchign kickass fights, the fight is the main thing to me, but i get the impression a lot of people need to see title shots riding on the line or some sort of clear rankings implication or something?
Context/meaning just adds that extra hype building up to an event and creates a different atmosphere to the live experience, but that all goes out of the window if the fight is poor. I'd much rather see an undercard fight that delivers like Manuwa vs Kingsbury than a uneventful number 1 contender fight like Evans vs Davis.

I think the need for fans to see title shots and ranking implication related fights is more to do with how much they have to fork out for an event ticket and what fight card they get in get return. I.e UFC 138 in Birmingham tickets were slightly more expensive then the upcoming FOX 5 Diaz Vs Henderson tickets. Considering UFC 138 was a SpikeTV/FUEL TV Fight Night standard card in the US and marketed to the UK fans as a normal numbered PPV event so you can understand where those people are coming from. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.