UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> BJ Penn: No one mentions me with the GOATs

11/27/12 10:48 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

During the UFC on Fox 5 media call, most of the questions were directed at legend BJ Penn.

Karyn Bryant from MMA Heat asked Penn if he thinks about his legacy.

He does.

"I was telling Dana, I watch all these interviews, said Penn. "No one says my name in the greatest fighters anymore and it's my fault. I told Dana I have a real problem with that."

It is not true. There are countless fans and fighters who number BJ Penn as among the greatest of all time in MMA. For them, BJ had kind words.

"I want to thank all those people even Benson Henderson always gives me props. I want to be known as one of the best. I have some things left to accomplish."

Penn's final question was about how GSP is handling the potential superfight with Anderson Silva.

"That fight is for George," said Penn. "I don't want to say much on that. Everybody on this call knows what BJ would do."

11/27/12 10:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ZombieAutoPilot
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hes still p4p goat in my eyes.... Will fight anyone at anyweight Phone Post
11/27/12 10:50 PM
WestCoastMXC

I hate it when people say shit they themselves know isn't true.... Hes always brought up when that topic comes up. Phone Post
11/27/12 11:14 PM
ausgepicht

ZombieAutoPilot -  Hes still p4p goat in my eyes.... Will fight anyone at anyweight Phone Post

That's some awesome criteria 11er! Will fight and lose to anyone at any weight=evidence of P4P!! WOO HOO!!!

11/27/12 11:20 PM
Wasa-B
303 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's def one of them
11/27/12 11:33 PM
Jambo888
536 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ZombieAutoPilot -  Hes still p4p goat in my eyes.... Will fight anyone at anyweight Phone Post

hahahaaa

just sayin

11/27/12 11:35 PM
Jambo888
536 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

penn had way too much talent and lived well on a beautiful island... I wonder what his legacy would have been if he grew up in poverty in a slum and was hungry his whole career

11/27/12 11:40 PM
MarkRobinson
1276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Everybody on this call knows what BJ would do"

Damn right. 

11/27/12 11:41 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is one of the goats, but I agree he doesn't seem to get brought up as one any more. Hendo gets brought up more than Penn nowadays. Penn and especially Hughes deserve to be brought up more imo.
11/27/12 11:42 PM
MarkRobinson
1276 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Remember when Anderson Silva was saying that BJ was the best fighter in the world? I will always consider BJ one of the all time greats. 

11/27/12 11:43 PM
mmavixen
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MarkRobinson - 

Remember when Anderson Silva was saying that BJ was the best fighter in the world? I will always consider BJ one of the all time greats. 

Same here.

11/27/12 11:45 PM
Jambo888

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - He is one of the goats, but I agree he doesn't seem to get brought up as one any more. Hendo gets brought up more than Penn nowadays. Penn and especially Hughes deserve to be brought up more imo.

hendo is nails. always.

11/27/12 11:50 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any weight, Any time 

11/27/12 11:53 PM
ender852
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What would B. J. do?

WWBJD?

side note, I think one of the funniest things I have ever seen was a pair of WWJD panties, like the last ditch effort after the dude gets her to take her pants off. LOL

11/27/12 11:57 PM
SkooterFanForLife
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht - 

That's some awesome criteria 11er! Will fight and lose to anyone at any weight=evidence of P4P!! WOO HOO!!!

Let the hate flow through you young Jedi....
dahosse
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Penn's DEF the GOAT of big fuckin' balls.

His big problem is his big fuckin' balls have severely fucked up his overall record.

That, and having started fighting long enough ago that weightclasses didn't go as low as he could have made. Young, young BJ, being starved like a junkyard dog probably could have made 135, forget about 145. Or 155, or 170, or 190, or any of the other ridiculous weights he's fought at for his frame size.

He fought machida, and was not embarrassed or put to sleep. Machida has been a small man or slouch at no point in his career. Phone Post
ZombieAutoPilot

At least he fought at another weight? If i could post pics i could post when he beat hughes when hughes was the man and bj was a a lw... At least he has big wins in more than one weight class... And yeah maybe p4p goat was a lil much.. Phone Post
11/27/12 11:59 PM
ZombieAutoPilot

Hey didnt he put gsp in the hospital too.. Sure he didnt win but thats more than most of the WW division can say Phone Post
11/27/12 11:59 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jambo888 - 
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - He is one of the goats, but I agree he doesn't seem to get brought up as one any more. Hendo gets brought up more than Penn nowadays. Penn and especially Hughes deserve to be brought up more imo.

hendo is nails. always.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say but yes he is very good lol.
11/28/12 12:10 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I understand he gets all this credit for moving up in weight but what has he done while moving up other than his first win over Hughes? He's got a God awful record at WW in the UFC and traditionally shows 1 or 2 rounds of good cardio. He was winning the 1st GSP fight, Fitch fight, and the 2nd Hughes fight before gassing. Phone Post
11/28/12 12:13 AM
GayGuardMooseSaucy

ZombieAutoPilot - Hey didnt he put gsp in the hospital too.. Sure he didnt win but thats more than most of the WW division can say Phone Post
Yes he broke gsp's nose in the first round and GSP rallied back to beat him. Many fighters go to the hospital win or lose even if just for precaution. Phone Post
11/28/12 12:16 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

GayGuardMooseSaucy -
ZombieAutoPilot - Hey didnt he put gsp in the hospital too.. Sure he didnt win but thats more than most of the WW division can say Phone Post
Yes he broke gsp's nose in the first round and GSP rallied back to beat him. Many fighters go to the hospital win or lose even if just for precaution. Phone Post
Got to remember that decision was pretty darn close and GSP easily could have won it. Phone Post
11/28/12 2:01 AM
Mayweedz
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is one of the old school goats like Fredor and Hendo whom you will not see too much of anymore. Willing to fight against anyone, step up in weight class to fight, and willing to fight fighters whose skill sets are a bad matchup for them.

The current goats are professional businessmen who are very calculated as to whom they fight. They are also massive weight cutters whom could easily fight in the next weight class, but instead cut 20+ lbs and are usually noticebly bigger than their opponents whom they dominate.
11/28/12 2:20 AM
Attila
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Everybody on this call knows what BJ would do."

THIS is why BJ is one of my favorite fighters. Not only is he among the best fighters ever skill-wise, but he'd also probably move up 3 weight classes and fight Jon Jones if given the opportunity. It's all about the challenge.
11/28/12 2:25 AM
Farewell Brock
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He might not be THE goat. But he sure is a warrior. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.