UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Question from a complete beginner

11/28/12 12:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rossiter93
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First time posting, so if I manage to screw something up, don't castrate me!
I want to travel somewhere to train for a month, but I have no idea where to go or what to expect. I've never been in a real gym before, just what I've managed to pull together in my basement. I've grappled with friends that are in Judo, Aikido, and Ninjutsu for almost 6 years now, but my striking is limited to the heavy bag, aside from last Christmas when I received boxing gloves and headgear and ended up getting knocked out in the middle of the night by the friend that is in Ninjutsu. I'm 19 years old, 6'2, 290ish pounds, in terrible shape haha. I'm looking for somewhere that would whip me into shape but at the same time take into consideration that I'm a complete beginner and don't know jack shit, and not kill me within a week. I also cant see 4 inches in front of my face without my glasses, if that makes any difference or anyone has any tips for me in that regard.
Aside from my zero natural athletic ability, I study BJJ religiously from books and videos, and I never give up. My friends know I wont stop rolling until I'm too exhausted to move.
I would really appreciate any thoughts guys, sorry for the long, probably pointless read!
11/28/12 4:50 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/28/12 4:53 PM

In my honest opinion, going somewhere for 4 weeks will do you little good as a complete novice. You would be much better off establishing a base of general conditioning and skills before you went so that you could get more out of the experience.

"Abs are made in the kitchen."

Adjust your diet, begin to add slow steady aerobic cardio (hopefully low impact if possible - bike, elliptical, rower?) This will help you lose weight and build work capacity for training.

Second you need to shadowbox. focus on stance, being able to move in balance, being able to kick in balance, punch with hands in right place, chin tucked, etc.

And 3rd work on muscular endurance both general and specific. bodyweigth exercises. do them! squats, pushups, assiste pullups or reverse pullups etc. situps, crunches, planks. sport specific - throwing multiple punches,knees, kicks, combos into bag.

Stretch!  kickboxing takes core strength and hip flexabilty. you'll never be the next Cro-Cop if you can't kick above your waist.

and in closing, this is a journey not a sprint, You're very young and have plenty of time to develop. Don't get upset when (and I mean "when", because you will) hit a plateu. That's how all stress works. Realize that this is part of the path and you now need to change the stimulus to develop further.

Good Luck! -Bill

P.S. Hi KKM!  DP/PP

11/28/12 11:41 PM
Rossiter93
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you very much for the reply! I'm bookmarking this page and I'm going to keep and use what you said as a guide. I really appreciate you taking the time to write that out for me, and I'll use this thread as I go to post my progress.
Also, I have no idea what the KKM DP/PP means at the end of the post, sorry haha

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.