UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Squat, bench, dead

11/28/12 12:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MixedMartialArse
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why shouldn't I make these lifts my workout? I mean just them, a warm up, 3x5 and then hit the showers repeating three times a week.

My only goals right now are bw bench, 1.5x bw squat and 2x bw dead. Hardly earth shattering stuff.

What does Starting Strength or Stronglifts offer that this doesn't? Phone Post
11/28/12 1:31 AM
ravenman2000
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/28/12 1:37 AM

Google Stephen Korte's 3x3 program, which has just what you are looking for (the three PL comp lifts every session, three times per week), but with a better programming and progression plan beyond what you've outlined here.  To address your question in closing, what Korte's plan shares with Starting Strength that your plan does not offer is sufficient recovery between heavy deadlift sessions, planned progression and overload, managed volume, and proven results demonstrated by many, many previous lifters.

11/28/12 4:14 AM
LordSeano
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ravenman2000 - 

Google Stephen Korte's 3x3 program, which has just what you are looking for (the three PL comp lifts every session, three times per week), but with a better programming and progression plan beyond what you've outlined here.  To address your question in closing, what Korte's plan shares with Starting Strength that your plan does not offer is sufficient recovery between heavy deadlift sessions, planned progression and overload, managed volume, and proven results demonstrated by many, many previous lifters.

Exactly. If your goal is improved bench, squat and deadlift I imagine a routine which has you benching, squatting and deadlifting is probably a good place to start.

The programs mentioned above give you a structure for planned progression as Ravenman mentioned
11/28/12 10:15 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nothing wrong with it, but you might throw in some variations. But yeah, those are your money lifts so why not?
11/30/12 12:19 PM
None So Blind
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If all you do is bench and don't include the presses from SS, you risk shoulder injury.

Fairly quickly, you will not be able to deadlift 3x a week and recover properly, at least not while going up in weight.

You aren't addressing power by omitting SS's power cleans. And cleans will help your squats and deads.

Once you get a few months in, you won't be doing SS's assistance exercises like chin-ups/pull-ups.

That's about 4 off the top of my head...
11/30/12 1:53 PM
jeremy hamilton
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

None So Blind - If all you do is bench and don't include the presses from SS, you risk shoulder injury.

Fairly quickly, you will not be able to deadlift 3x a week and recover properly, at least not while going up in weight.

You aren't addressing power by omitting SS's power cleans. And cleans will help your squats and deads.

Once you get a few months in, you won't be doing SS's assistance exercises like chin-ups/pull-ups.

That's about 4 off the top of my head...

I agree with some of your points but partially disagree on others.

Keeping up with external rotation exercises will keep your shoulders healthy. I personally wouldn't omit OH Pressing but you don't really need to do them. There are some people (Defranco is one) that don't have any of their athletes press over their heads.

I know plenty of lifters that pull or have pulled multiple times a week with great success. (Myself included) You just have to be smart about it. Eric Talmant pulls 3xs a week and he has pulled 655@148 in competition.

Anything you can get out of a clean you can get out of a deadlift and squat. Except for I guess getting better at the clean.

I agree with adding chins/pullups, they are good for your soul. You probably don't NEED them, but its a damn shame for a man to suck at pullups.
11/30/12 2:12 PM
None So Blind
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course I defer to Jeremy, he pulls a wee bit more than me ;-)

I was assuming he's still kind of a beginner, meaning pulling 3x a week might not be the best progression for him. Obviously, guys like the Bulgarians pull every day - but they're super advanced, and I personally think they aren't human ;-)

And the cleans - well, the argument is that it's more for overall strength/fitness/power/etc., and I even think Rip would say that's the least important element of his program, esp. if you have to make modifications due to other sport requirements...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.