UnderGround Forums

Cigars, Beer & Poker Ground >> Change this cigar noob into a cigar snob

11/28/12 10:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
occupy_DDF
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Long story short, smoked my first cigar about 2 years ago. That was it until 4 months ago, moved overseas and have been smoking a cigar on avg once a week. I have found that a nice drink, smoke, and the latest JRE podcast on the back patio can be quite relaxing.

That said, my introduction into cigars was by way of an Acid Kuba Kuba a friend gave me while watching a UFC fight. I've not strayed too far from those, and Acid is currently my favorite brand. The Kuba Kubas remain my 'staple' cigar - I order by the box - but I have found that I really enjoy the Tom Maduro, and the Oppulence 3 is so far my favorite cigar ever, and I will be ordering a box of them soon.

To date, I have gone through the Acid sampler pack (loved), a Vegas 5 sampler pack (mildly liked), box of Kuba Kubas (loved), and some admittedly gimmicky Java cigars from Drew Estates (no bueno).

What other brands would you suggest that have similar flavor profiles to the Acid line?
What are some brands I should try just because they're damn good cigars?
Will I be looked at as snooty if I start referring to cigars as 'sticks'?
Tell me about pairings as far as styles of cigars with drinks? (I know a fine cigar and sipping whiskey is looked upon favorably, what else? Can you pair something up with rum? Beer? I do these things anyway, just looking for things that compliment each other.)

Last random thought - has anyone ever grown their own tobacco and rolled their own cigars? Or smoked cigars rolled by friends? One of my very good friends brews his own beer, I thought it would be cool to roll my own smokes, and did some extensive youtube research recently.
11/28/12 2:36 PM
joesonshuevos
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would def suggest you check out my threads on my favorites, But to name a few- Aurora 107, Illusione 888, Tatuaje Reserva, Mi Amor Reserva, Padron (entire line), Prensado, My Father Le Bijoux and Viaje Skull and Bones. I smoke med to full, so I too would not enjoy the Vegas 5s.

I would never roll my own cigars nor grow them as soil is a huge element in cigar flavours. Hence, why Cuba is amongst if not the best land for cigars. I live in Az, I can barely grow a lawn.

11/28/12 2:37 PM
joesonshuevos
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Viaje- Skull and Bones. They recently released series 2. Which will need some resting time, but 1st series was amazing.

Drew Estate Liga Privada- Another great stick. Pictured is the Flying Pig.

La Aurora Cien Anos- For you DR lovers, this is a special cigar. For those who don't commonly smoke DRs, this is an exception.

La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor- Great cigar, great size variety.

Nestor Miranda- Art Deco Nestor hits another home run with this 1. A little sweeter than his last offerings.

Tatuaje Cojonu- Pete Johnson and the boys have been coming out with much better stuff these days. Even their Cuban Classic is good with 2 years of age. The Cojonu is great coming out of the box.
11/30/12 6:53 AM
occupy_DDF
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely be checking these out.

So, in regards to Cuban cigars, it's actually the soil element that provides the flavor? I've (often) heard that it was the specific seeds/plants that made them unique, but that some of the bigger companies were starting to produce those same seeds/plants outside of Cuba, so their cigars are essentially Cuban. I suppose that would be a great marketing idea, to tell people that.

FWIW, I hace steady access to real Cubans here, allegedly the cheapest you can get them outside of Cuba. Have not tried them yet though.
11/30/12 11:03 AM
joesonshuevos

Soil has a huge role in the cigar making process. You are exactly right about that silly Cuban seed thing. You used to hear that a lot. I haven't heard those words uttered in a cigar store in years. As far as Cubans, they too come in various strength levels. Por Larranaga and Fonseca are milder brands, Montecristo and Punch medium and Partagas being on the stronger side. Classics include Hoyo de Monterrey double corona, Cohiba Esplendido and Montecristo 2.

I personally gravitate towards the Partagas Serie D, Bolivar Belicoso Fino, Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro and Partagas Lusitania.

11/30/12 4:21 PM
occupy_DDF

Awesome, thanks for the info man.
The Cubans I see most are the Montecristo's, I may have to pick up a box next time I see them.
12/6/12 3:25 AM
occupy_DDF

Looks like it'll be after Christmas before I make my next purchase. I went through the list you provided and soon had a $425 shopping cart built up on CI. I need to ask for gift cards for Christmas!
12/6/12 11:08 AM
joesonshuevos

lol. My buddy made our Cuban order yesterday. $1245. Yikes.

12/6/12 11:31 AM
joesonshuevos

Oh. I just misread the title. Turn you into a snob.

Here we go!

Only light your cigars with spanish cedar strips.

Only watch Fox news if you are at the cigar store. If 5 guys come up and ask to turn on football, scoff and return to Hannity.

Whatever the next guy over on the couch is smoking sucks. Esp if it costs less than the $28.00 Davidoff you are puffing.

Speak loudly on the cell phone at all times.

Constantly tell everyone, even those not listening, how to solve the economy and how Obama sux.

Make sure to repeatedly tell everyone how tight you are with the owner and how you tell him what to order every time.

Show everyone how stocked your locker at the store is, but NEVER offer a cigar to anyone.

Make sure every salesman who works there hates you.

Leave your ashes along the edge of the ashtray rather than actually in it.

Take off your loafers and put your cracked barefeet up on the table.

Constantly talk about the goofy Opus X shapes you own because you and Fuente r tight, son!

12/6/12 6:01 PM
occupy_DDF

Will VTFU tomorrow for that, good sir! That is downright hilarious!

No worries about any of that happening to me anytime soon. My cigar time is out on the back patio with a drink and Joe Rogan podcast playing on the iPhone. I don't have any problems sharing either. My town (currently living in Spain) had a festival in September, round the clock drinking and partying, people dressed to the nines in flamenco dresses/suits, pretty spiffy event, and all within walking distance of my casa. My numbers could be slightly off due to the amount of alcohol consumed, but I'm pretty sure we went through about 18 of my cigars in 2 nights. That's when I decided to start ordering by the box.
12/6/12 6:07 PM
occupy_DDF

Is there a preferred brand/style of humidor?

I picked up the "old world antique" 100 ct humidor off of cigars international. I like it, it suits me and meets my storage needs. But I think it would be pretty neat to grab up a cabinet style or coffee table style humidor, where you can actually see what's inside.

Assuming you maintain proper control of the humidity/temp, will cigars last indefinitely? I have seen mentions of aging, how does age affect the smoke, and how do I tell the age of cigars I've purchased, or am looking at purchasing?

12/8/12 4:00 PM
joesonshuevos

Humidors are awesome because they range from very inexpensive to absolutely sillyness. Elie Bleu's are really sweet, but you will pay for them. I have 2 cabinets and 4 humidors.

Some of the most beautiful humidors are old cabinets that have been fitted with humidifiers and Spanish cedar.

12/28/12 12:54 PM
occupy_DDF

Well my order finally came in. Color me stupidly excited.

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/393088_10151437537971833_1876257069_n.jpg

And last night I finally got a chance to get out to one of the local cigar shops, had 24 Euros on me and squeezed out 3 Cubans for 23 of those. The red one is made specifically for Spain apparently. That one alone was 14 Euros.

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/530382_10151436143371833_2002859494_n.jpg

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.