UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Best knee brace for BJJ?

11/28/12 2:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tomato Can
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody have one they like? I've been rehabbing a partially torn ACL for 6 weeks now and am looking to start easing back in. The doc gave me a hardcore brace with big metal hinges but that doesn't seem like something I could wear during a BJJ class.
11/28/12 2:32 PM
Dan Pagan
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I found a knee brace at CVS (chain pharmacy store) that was designed like a wrestling knee pad, no Velcro straps or metal. It had a gel design that kept the kneecap in place and also acts like a cushion. I was considering getting another and Just using them as knee pads for rolling. It is very snug and I actually forget it is there until I get that leg stuck in someone's half guard. I developed a ghetto pass for when that happens, usually works. I'll post a pic or link if I can. Phone Post
11/28/12 2:50 PM
Marcos Avellan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not a doctor... but the best knee brace I've used for grappling that you can buy over the web is the Cliff Keen Airbrace.  But if you are with a messed up ACL, I'd check with your doctor - disclaimer :)

11/28/12 2:52 PM
Tomato Can
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/28/12 2:52 PM
I took a look at the CK Air Brace and there's a negative review on Amazon saying it's no good for BJJ because it's too stiff and will mess you up when your knees are bent, i.e. when you're in someone's closed/half guard.

I take it you haven't experienced that problem?
11/28/12 3:14 PM
Marcos Avellan

Edited: 11/28/12 3:15 PM

I had a blown out LCL when I was using it.  Yes, it is stiff - but you do need a certain degree of stiffness from the kneepad (aka support) to help protect the ligament.  I liked it a lot better for training versus the metal brace I was given by my doctor at the time.  However, it is noticeably more stiff than a regular wrestling knee pad.  Most wrestling knee pads are designed just to help soften impact - this one is actually designed to help keep the knee stable.

It has been a looooong time since I used it, literally eleven years... so I don't remember if it bothered me from guard.  I do remember though that I had used it until my knee was 100% again.  Now you got me worried about recommending it, lol :)  I really don't remember how it felt from guard but I did use the pad for four to five months, so it couldn't have been that bad.

11/28/12 3:18 PM
suburban techniques

the Cliff Keen Air Brace is great, it is super snug but you will break it in, I can train with a torn meniscus thanks to it. Phone Post
11/28/12 3:24 PM
Tomato Can

Looks like my decision is made. Thanks gents!!
11/28/12 3:25 PM
TheBearStare
272 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4 later Phone Post
11/28/12 7:23 PM
green_machine
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let us know how it is after you use it a few times, please. Phone Post
11/29/12 12:26 AM
Brian McLaughlin
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shock Doctor has a new line of braces that are amazing, lots of support without weighing you down too much

11/29/12 12:47 AM
Gumby
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Futuro Active knit knee stabilizer is my all time favorite.  Gel ring around the knee cap to absorb impacy and side stabilizers that are thin and made of a rubber or plastic holding things in place.  Knee feels stable,  I can work my game to the extent I feel comfotable and  no one knows it's on when I have it on.  Like everyone else, I'd suggest talking to a doctor or therapist before rolling with a damaged ACL 

11/29/12 1:14 AM
SilentSamurai8

Gumby -

The Futuro Active knit knee stabilizer is my all time favorite.  Gel ring around the knee cap to absorb impacy and side stabilizers that are thin and made of a rubber or plastic holding things in place.  Knee feels stable,  I can work my game to the extent I feel comfotable and  no one knows it's on when I have it on.  Like everyone else, I'd suggest talking to a doctor or therapist before rolling with a damaged ACL 

I'm currently train under Gumby and he recommended this brace for me when I suddenly sprained my knee. I have a very flexible guard (capable of high rubber guard) AND tend to shoot wrestle from the feet and it has done amazing. Much better then the average dinky brace yet not too bulky and obstructing of ur motion.

This IS the brace to use IF ur gonna try and come back to rolling with a knee problem. Phone Post
11/29/12 1:27 AM
Dan Pagan
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gumby -

That is the one I use and the one I was referring to. Cheap and readily available locally.

Thanks Gumby! Will VTFU when on PC! Phone Post
11/29/12 9:28 AM
Tomato Can

Well I already ordered the CK brace so hopefully it works out. That Futuro brace looks a lot thinner, maybe if I have trouble with the thickness/inflexibility of the CK brace, I'll switch.
11/29/12 11:17 AM
Xader

Edited: 11/29/12 11:17 AM

I had my ACL replaced last year I wear the Bauerfeind GenuTrain S.  I picked it because the hinge and supports are all made out of super tough plastic that is light and won't hurt your training parter if you wack them in the head with it.  It is expensive but I think it was worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Bauerfeind-GenuTrain-Left-Support-Titanium/dp/B0018OIJFK/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1354205362&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=genutrain+s+pro

11/30/12 1:17 PM
Hoffa
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I second Shock Dr. I have tried half a dozen different ones, and they are the best. Breath well, quality of materials, fit, support, and flexible stay option is great.
Note: I have had two ACL tears and a MCL tear. Phone Post
11/30/12 2:23 PM
SBJJSean
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was down in brazil training recently and saw the best knee brace I had ever seen on another guy who was there training. I asked him about it and am going to pick one up for myself soon.

Said he has always worn knee braces for training and had tried all different types and these were by far the best.

http://www.bauerfeind-store.com/Bauerfeind+Knee+Supports.html

11/30/12 2:24 PM
SBJJSean
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Xader - 

I had my ACL replaced last year I wear the Bauerfeind GenuTrain S.  I picked it because the hinge and supports are all made out of super tough plastic that is light and won't hurt your training parter if you wack them in the head with it.  It is expensive but I think it was worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Bauerfeind-GenuTrain-Left-Support-Titanium/dp/B0018OIJFK/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1354205362&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=genutrain+s+pro

The one I saw was a base genutrain I think. He said it was 100 bucks well spent.
12/26/12 12:07 PM
Tomato Can

So I've been using the CK air brace and it feels pretty good, but I've had problems with it slipping down my leg to the point where it's not really doing its job anymore, and I constantly have to readjust it. Anyone else have this problem?
12/26/12 12:42 PM
allchokedup
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i usually tape mine into place so it stays put
12/26/12 12:55 PM
Tomato Can

With standard athletic tape?
12/26/12 1:41 PM
allchokedup
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, i just have a crappy knee sleeve that falls off but i use medical tape
12/26/12 1:47 PM
Tomato Can

Cool I'll give that a try.
12/27/12 4:30 PM
Poncey
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alternatively I had the same problem and decided to go with an Adudas Olympic wrestling knee pad, but a size below.

Never ever slips.

Hope the knee heals. Phone Post
12/30/12 10:07 PM
TheMessiah

In Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.