UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Best knee brace for BJJ?

12/30/12 10:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mitey Mouze
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marcos Avellan -

I'm not a doctor... but the best knee brace I've used for grappling that you can buy over the web is the Cliff Keen Airbrace.  But if you are with a messed up ACL, I'd check with your doctor - disclaimer :)

I've been using this brace as well, one of the best I've used. It does slip a bit, usually I just readjust between rolls. Phone Post
12/31/12 10:20 AM
quidditch
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
1/4/13 1:40 PM
TheMessiah
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Marcos Avellan - 

I'm not a doctor... but the best knee brace I've used for grappling that you can buy over the web is the Cliff Keen Airbrace.  But if you are with a messed up ACL, I'd check with your doctor - disclaimer :)

did  you have any problems with the Cliff Keen Airbrace sliding down?

1/4/13 2:11 PM
Tomato Can
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I tried using athletic tape to keep it up this time. It seemed to work a little better although it may just have been my imagination.
1/4/13 3:55 PM
TheMessiah

Thanks will try.. I bought the shock dr and cliff keen airbrace will see which one does better.. Phone Post
6/19/13 2:58 AM
DarthChoke
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheMessiah -  Thanks will try.. I bought the shock dr and cliff keen airbrace will see which one does better.. Phone Post

Which did you like better? Review of the two?
6/19/13 3:32 AM
ogkennyg

Asics makes some good braces Phone Post
6/19/13 7:18 AM
ubik
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bauerfiend make the best, not cheap though

http://www.bauerfeind.com/en/products/supports-orthoses/knee-hip-thigh.html

This is what I use
6/19/13 9:35 AM
Tomato Can
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ironic that this just got bumped as I re-injured my knee last night and it feels worse than it has in months.

I actually wouldn't recommend the CK air brace for BJJ. It doesn't stay on at all, especially in half guard situations.

I was having decent success with a Futuro adjustable knee support, but after only about a month the material started splitting down the back.

So honestly everything I've tried so far has sucked at least a little.
6/20/13 2:04 PM
Dan Pagan
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use the futuro but have been using tight wrestling knee pads by asics. Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 2:16 PM
Tomato Can

Which Futuro are you using? They have a few different ones. I was using the "moisture control knee support" which seemed alright but like I said it started splitting in the back after only a few weeks.
6/20/13 4:12 PM
Aaronrodgers=GOAT
486 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't train but I need a knee brace. Phone Post
6/20/13 8:17 PM
TheMessiah

DarthChoke -
TheMessiah -  Thanks will try.. I bought the shock dr and cliff keen airbrace will see which one does better.. Phone Post

Neither.. Airbrace slipped a lot while grappling.. Shock dr bothered the back side of knee at the bend.

I use a fitted soft hinge knee brace from my knee surgeon. Phone Post 3.0
6/20/13 8:24 PM
DarthChoke
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheMessiah -
DarthChoke -

Neither.. Airbrace slipped a lot while grappling.. Shock dr bothered the back side of knee at the bend.

Copy. Thanks. How do you like it? Was it for ACL? Phone Post 3.0
6/21/13 6:08 AM
tonyfluff

I have a torn meniscus and just rehabbing now so have been looking into this subject a lot. I watched a Kurt osiander video and he trains in bauerfiend (said he has always had knee problems and uses both to train in). He mentioned hot-rodding them in the video,for bjj (anyone know what that means?) They look easily the best,but are expensive.
6/21/13 9:17 AM
dojo stormer
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

iuse the CK airbrace.

had meniscus surgery about 10 months ago.

i dont have issues with it slipping down but the knee pad part moves a bit, which i just readjust.

i dont think i need it anymore but i still wear it as a safety blanket
6/21/13 9:58 AM
Tomato Can

tonyfluff - I have a torn meniscus and just rehabbing now so have been looking into this subject a lot. I watched a Kurt osiander video and he trains in bauerfiend (said he has always had knee problems and uses both to train in). He mentioned hot-rodding them in the video,for bjj (anyone know what that means?) They look easily the best,but are expensive.

One of my instructors recommended Bauerfeind as well. They're pricey though. The basic "GenuTrain" model is like $100 and they have fancier models that go all the way up to $265.
6/21/13 12:34 PM
TheMessiah

DarthChoke -
TheMessiah -
DarthChoke -

Copy. Thanks. How do you like it? Was it for ACL? Phone Post 3.0
It does the job. I tore my lateral meniscus completely apart then retore by training to soon after surgery.

I'm still looking around for the perfect one tho. Phone Post 3.0
6/22/13 10:13 AM
Kneeblock
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In as a member of the torn ACL club. Phone Post
6/24/13 5:56 AM
tonyfluff

Yeah bauerfiend are expensive. But for the amount of time you spend on your knees in bjj, I don't think its worth going for a cheap option. Speaking to my physio tomorrow to see what he says about them, and when I can start training again. Don't want to go back too soon and just be protecting/cradling it all the time tho.

6/24/13 10:14 AM
Tomato Can

I might have to spring for the Bauerfeind.

Does anyone have any positive experiences with a particular Futuro or Shock Doctor model? I wouldn't mind trying 1 more cheapish option before going the expensive route.
6/24/13 10:28 AM
DarthChoke

Does anyone know which Bauerfeind is BEST for ACL issues? Hard to figure out. Phone Post 3.0
6/24/13 10:45 AM
Muffinho
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some insurances cover kneebraces, btw. Might have to get a form from your GP
6/24/13 10:47 AM
Muffinho
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^if you go to a sports doctor, they usually have braces in their clinics that are at least partially covered by insurance. If those aren't a good fit for you, ask the sports doctor or your orthopaedic surgeon to write up a form so insurance can cover it.
6/25/13 3:32 PM
SmileyNY1985
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.