UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Shame and Guilt

11/28/12 5:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TeaBaggedbyMagicUndies
384 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How do you deal with it?

Do you let it build up then explode?

Do you repent?

Do you bury it with substances, material things, ect?

Shame and guilt have caused a lot of grief and heartache in my life. Sometimes I feel like I'm not good enough to ask God for forgiveness..

Just curious if anyone else struggles with this. Phone Post
11/29/12 8:06 AM
AVClub
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guilt is not from God so there is nothing He is holding against you that He won't forgive you for. That's not God behind the guilty feeling. Conviction, however, is a good thing if you use it to change your life for the better.
The giants of our faith all struggled with guilt and shame. Phone Post
11/29/12 1:17 PM
TeaBaggedbyMagicUndies
384 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AVClub - Guilt is not from God so there is nothing He is holding against you that He won't forgive you for. That's not God behind the guilty feeling. Conviction, however, is a good thing if you use it to change your life for the better.
The giants of our faith all struggled with guilt and shame. Phone Post
Thank you. Reading that cleared my heart and head. Phone Post
11/29/12 2:03 PM
AVClub
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not sure if serious.

I didn't respond to everything and I could talk all day. Just wanted to let you know that guilt is not good. Phone Post
11/29/12 7:47 PM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just look at the heroes of faith in Hebrews 11

Now, look at all the stuff they did WRONG, and yet, no mention of it in Hebrews....just that their heart was for God.

Yes, we are responsible for our actions, but never let your sin stand in higher regard than what Jesus did for our sin. There is nothing you can do that will change that, good or bad Phone Post
11/29/12 7:50 PM
DyingBreed
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I believe we "crucify Jesus all over again and count the blood as something common" when we assume we can't be forgiven. It is like saying "once wasn't enough, you need to die again for THIS particular thing because I don't believe I can be forgiven" Phone Post
11/29/12 7:52 PM
DyingBreed

All that said, I know exactly what you are experiencing, and I have to remind myself that Christ died "once for all" "before the foundation of the world" Phone Post
11/30/12 11:29 AM
TeaBaggedbyMagicUndies

AVClub - not sure if serious.

I didn't respond to everything and I could talk all day. Just wanted to let you know that guilt is not good. Phone Post
The word 'conviction' struck me. Phone Post
11/30/12 11:30 AM
TeaBaggedbyMagicUndies

DyingBreed - All that said, I know exactly what you are experiencing, and I have to remind myself that Christ died "once for all" "before the foundation of the world" Phone Post
Thanks DB for responding. Phone Post
11/30/12 5:24 PM
JitsuGuy
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the reason I left Christianity. I got tired of feeling guilty with who I was.

On the same token, God knows we're human. We're imperfect and expected to fuck up. We even like fucking up because it's awesome sometimes.

I can no longer feel guilty for what's in my nature. It's a horrible existence. Create a robot with defective coding and then make it feel guilt for fucking up because its coding is poorly written.

Yeah, that some serious compassion right there.

No thanks, not for me.

Be happy with who you are. We all are fuck ups. Some are just better at hiding it.

You're no better or worse than the next person. Be happy, life is too short to live in the dumps.

Amen.
12/2/12 10:02 AM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everything comes from G-d.  There is nothing that doesn't come from G-d.  If you are feeling shame & guilt then it's your interpretation of events that's causing the disconnection.  Maybe you have these feelings to ultimately get closer or seek a closer relationship with G-d.  Christianity has a mechanism in it's belief structure for repentance so does Judaism.  I don't know for sure, but I've heard that Islam has no mechanism for repentance.  Take advantage of the fact you reside within a belief system that allowes for repenting and coming to terms with shame & guilt.  

12/3/12 3:06 PM
gord96
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/27/13 12:08 AM
12/3/12 6:54 PM
zealot66
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JitsuGuy - This is the reason I left Christianity. I got tired of feeling guilty with who I was.

On the same token, God knows we're human. We're imperfect and expected to fuck up. We even like fucking up because it's awesome sometimes.

I can no longer feel guilty for what's in my nature. It's a horrible existence. Create a robot with defective coding and then make it feel guilt for fucking up because its coding is poorly written.

No thanks, not for me.

Be happy with who you are. We all are fuck ups. Some are just better at hiding it.

You're no better or worse than the next person. Be happy, life is too short to live in the dumps.

Amen.

I worry about people who feel no guilt in a way. Often times they are the big whigs at church who live a lie and they push guilt on us peasants. Guilt tripping is a power grab. There is a place for guilt when you are living a hypocritical lie. You should feel like shit. 

Having said that, Its a miserable life to be constantly guilty for whats in our nature unless we are harming others. Lets say I cant get lust out of my mind, no matter what I fill it with I am burdened by continual lust. Maybe its because I am sexually frustrated and if I could have sex, it wouldn't bother me so much. I'm married so it isn't an issue. I don't really 'lust' after other women. I do at times admire other women and wonder but that is as far as it goes. I know not to pour gasoline on a fire. I have a perfectly attractive woman that is friendly and understanding.

For guys not married, I dont think its healthy to sleep with random women. It causes too much baggage when you decide to get married. Wanton sex is just a road to emotional disaster. If you are hardened to sex and don't feel a thing about banging random sluts and other things, maybe you should evalutate whether you need some kind of moral compass. Even without religion its better to have some guidelines about sexual behaviour or drugs and alcohol. IMO>

12/5/12 12:41 AM
RoidsGracie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guilt is a dirty word in the Western world after Freud and all he said about the psychosis that results from repression. I would saw anyone that doesn't ever feel guilt are sociopaths. And guilt/shame isn't a purely religious thing either. If anything, when it comes to using guilt and shame to influence behavior, the non-Christian East Asian countries have the Christian West beat.
3/26/13 11:22 PM
Jack Carter
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TeaBaggedbyMagicUndies - How do you deal with it?

Do you let it build up then explode?

Do you repent?

Do you bury it with substances, material things, ect?

Shame and guilt have caused a lot of grief and heartache in my life. Sometimes I feel like I'm not good enough to ask God for forgiveness..

Just curious if anyone else struggles with this. Phone Post
If Apostle Paul can, so can you Phone Post
4/5/13 10:17 AM
figure four

Feeling guilty? Maybe it was that kid you teased in second grade, or a prank that went horribly wrong in college. In the end, you hurt someone badly…and you’ve been carrying the guilt around for years. It’s a heavy load. How do we lighten the load of guilt especially when we’ve done something wrong to the one who matters most?

http://incmedia.org/wpmedia/videos/how-to-cure-the-worst-possible-case-of-guilt

Watch the Video
4/5/13 10:18 AM
Jack Carter
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think dark thoughts and that seems to help Phone Post 3.0
4/8/13 3:39 PM
JitsuGuy
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zealot66 - 
JitsuGuy - This is the reason I left Christianity. I got tired of feeling guilty with who I was.

No thanks, not for me.

Amen.

I worry about people who feel no guilt in a way. Often times they are the big whigs at church who live a lie and they push guilt on us peasants. Guilt tripping is a power grab. There is a place for guilt when you are living a hypocritical lie. You should feel like shit. 

Having said that, Its a miserable life to be constantly guilty for whats in our nature unless we are harming others. Lets say I cant get lust out of my mind, no matter what I fill it with I am burdened by continual lust. Maybe its because I am sexually frustrated and if I could have sex, it wouldn't bother me so much. I'm married so it isn't an issue. I don't really 'lust' after other women. I do at times admire other women and wonder but that is as far as it goes. I know not to pour gasoline on a fire. I have a perfectly attractive woman that is friendly and understanding.

For guys not married, I dont think its healthy to sleep with random women. It causes too much baggage when you decide to get married. Wanton sex is just a road to emotional disaster. If you are hardened to sex and don't feel a thing about banging random sluts and other things, maybe you should evalutate whether you need some kind of moral compass. Even without religion its better to have some guidelines about sexual behaviour or drugs and alcohol. IMO>

I worry about people who do not feel guilt when they hurt others.

But when it comes to yourself and thought crimes and all that religious bullshit (oh my god you wanted to fuck that hot chick!!!!)... You're doomed to be miserable.

"Welcome to the hamster wheel of guilt tripping."

-Christianity
4/8/13 7:51 PM
DyingBreed

JitsuGuy -
zealot66 - 

No thanks, not for me.

Amen.

I worry about people who do not feel guilt when they hurt others.

But when it comes to yourself and thought crimes and all that religious bullshit (oh my god you wanted to fuck that hot chick!!!!)... You're doomed to be miserable.

"Welcome to the hamster wheel of guilt tripping."

-Christianity
Most of the time it's man that lays the guilt trip on thick Phone Post
4/9/13 7:39 PM
micmac
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am feeling like raging out today. A lot of situations in life that are pissing me off today. Sometimes, I am to blame for my problems and I am aware when I am, but today I am not.

My shame is that while I should be casting my cares upon The Lord, I am preferring to be angry and take the attitude of 'fine it's the world against me, let's do this thing world!"

Even typing this I am feeling like I can take it let's go!!! But I know that's not how I should respond to trials.

Ugh. Phone Post 3.0
4/11/13 2:09 PM
WOOFticket

micmac - I am feeling like raging out today. A lot of situations in life that are pissing me off today. Sometimes, I am to blame for my problems and I am aware when I am, but today I am not.

My shame is that while I should be casting my cares upon The Lord, I am preferring to be angry and take the attitude of 'fine it's the world against me, let's do this thing world!"

Even typing this I am feeling like I can take it let's go!!! But I know that's not how I should respond to trials.

Ugh. Phone Post 3.0
Romans 5:1-5 ESV

Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

Phone Post
4/17/13 4:23 AM
sparkuri

Guilt is good. It's like pain. It tells you there's something wrong, and to fix it head on with honesty.

Shame, on the other hand, is nothing more than condemnation for that guilt/s, and it comes from you-know-who.

PS: It's a lie

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.