UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> Anyone work in the video game industry?

11/28/12 9:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Zanzoken
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If so, what do you do?
11/29/12 11:49 AM
OscarG
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Advertising. EA. Phone Post
11/29/12 6:54 PM
Zanzoken
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice, Oscar.

What's the job market looking like? I work in public accounting and am sick of it. I'd like to eventually be a producer, because I like project management and working with people. But from what I've read, that's not a job you just walk into, even at the associate level.
11/30/12 6:37 AM
wooderson76
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not me personally, but my buddy growing up had an uncle that worked for Nintendo. He used to get all the new games before they even came out. Phone Post
11/30/12 12:48 PM
RML
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wooderson76 - Not me personally, but my buddy growing up had an uncle that worked for Nintendo. He used to get all the new games before they even came out. Phone Post
LOL Phone Post
11/30/12 6:52 PM
Zanzoken

Edited: 11/30/12 6:52 PM
ttt
11/30/12 7:23 PM
Zanzoken

Do you think that's a solid way to break in, Jockey? Through QA?

I don't really have any programming or artistic proficiency. I was thinking that if I could come up with a simple fun game, develop enough skill to create it, and release it online or through something like App Store, that might help me get in the door somewhere.

Or I could try to leverage my background, catch on in the accounting or finance department, and eventually transition over.

I'd like to be in a position to switch careers by this time next year, just not sure how to go about it.
11/30/12 8:08 PM
Zanzoken

Jockey, thanks so much man, that looks like great advice.

Are there are resources that I could start pulling from now, to help me be better prepared to make the jump? I'm thinking about stuff like books, trade publications, professional orgs... ways to start learning the ins and outs of the industry & building a network.
11/30/12 8:14 PM
AbbeyRoadMe
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A friend of mine from high school just became PR Manager for 2K Games.

He started out simply blogging and doing some freelance writiing. He eventually moved onto working for Gamepro magazine and writing for a local newspaper. Now he's got a pretty good job in the industry. 

12/1/12 11:25 AM
None So Blind
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.trenchescomic.com/

Required reading for anyone who wants to go into the games industry

(and I mean the stories, not the comics)

:-P
12/1/12 3:48 PM
Zanzoken

None So Blind and Jockey, thanks for the links! :)
12/1/12 4:17 PM
maantren
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck with following your passion and I hope it works out for you. I think it's awesome when people don't just sit in a job they dislike for fear of change.

Having said that - and I apologise in advance, I'm really not trying to pour cold water on you - you should understand that many game industry jobs are not great, for the following reasons:

* Most are effectively freelance, even if they're called permanent - the trend of laying off most staff after a major project is only going to increase, the AAA game industry is effectively moving to the hollywood production model but minus unions
* Almost every position is underpaid relative to what you could earn with the same skillset in a different field - this is especially true of anything on the programming & production side
* Hours and conditions across most major studios (there are exceptions) are brutal - they're very aware of how many people are dying to break in.

Basically, if you are incredibly passionate about making games, go for it. But that passion will be tested by the realities of the industry.
12/1/12 10:03 PM
Zanzoken

Thanks for the info, maantren. It's good to take a sober look at things and not get too starry-eyed. Most of what I've read confirms what you're saying, especially in the AAA space. The industry squeezes people for all they are worth, tosses them out, and then brings in the next batch.

But I guess my thought process is, it's like that no matter what field you are in, isn't it? If you want to be in big business, at least. And I kind of take comfort in it, if that makes any sense. As in, the road is going to be hard no matter what, so you might as well do what you want and try to make it fun.

What's exciting to me about video games (other than the fact that I've played them forever and love the experience) is not so much AAA & blockbusters, but the way the industry is evolving. With more people playing more games on more platforms than ever, I feel like there are a lot of opportunities for indies to find a market and thrive.

And that's really my long-term goal, to open my own shop and make indie games that hit it out of the park. But I don't think I'll have the skills (or the mental toughness) to pull it off without going through the grinder first. So I think if I can land a production job and get 2-3 shipped titles under my belt, I might then be in a position to give it a shot.
12/2/12 9:27 AM
1armedScissor
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a software developer (mostly plugins for maya,mentalray,fusion, nuke) at a computer animation/visual effects studio that also does some cinematic work for games. We did the cinematics for Rage and all the CG for the Halo "Forward Unto Dawn" series.
12/2/12 10:20 AM
None So Blind
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You guys that are in the business - what do you think of "The Trenches?" (comic series in the link above)

Is it really that bad, or is it just the usual crap that every business has? Some of the firing practices seem particularly brutal and unfair....
12/2/12 5:22 PM
redeye2000
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i have worked in the gaming industry when i was 18. worked on projects for epic as a game tester.

worked on jacky jack rabit and the very first unreal game. which was fucking awesome :)

not many people know that the very first unreal engine was made by 2 people. 1 was from the netherlands.

12/6/12 9:25 PM
OscarG
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Breaking into the industry happens in a few ways.

Be good: good programmer, good marketer, lawyer, accountant. Whatever.

Grind: get an entry level position in customer support. Work into QA or game design and hope to be a lead or producer one day.

EA is great to work for and a lot of fun. I'll always work in the industry.

Know somebody. Pretty straightforward. Phone Post
12/6/12 9:29 PM
1armedScissor
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been in the industry for 12 years. OscarG is the only person I've heard of who has ever had anything positive to say about working for EA.
12/6/12 9:57 PM
OscarG

I'm in marketing. Different experience altogether. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.