UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> BAN Clay Guida from UFC? Yes or No?

11/29/12 4:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ken Wayne Shamrock
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/29/12 4:20 AM

Watching Clay Guida RUN FROM Gray Maynard THE ENTIRE FIGHT influenced me to feel extremely disturbed and sick to my stomach. Why? Clay WAS my favorite fighter to watch until Greg Jackson turned him into an Ultimate Runner worse than Kalib Starnes. I'm curious what the rest of you MMA fans think: Should Clay Guida be banned from the UFC for running away all 5 rounds of a Championship-style fight? Yes or No. Also, please feel free to share your opinions on why you think Clay Guida SHOULD or shouldn't be banned from UFC. Afterall, sharing is caring. ^_^
11/29/12 4:19 AM
TenOfSwords
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Because he has moved down to 145 he shouldn't be banned.

11/29/12 4:21 AM
JBASS
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ken Wayne Shamrock - Watching Clay Guida RUN FROM Gray Maynard THE ENTIRE FIGHT influenced me to feel extremely disturbed and sick to my stomach. Why? Clay WAS my favorite fighter to watch until Greg Jackson turned him into an Ultimate Runner worse than Kalib Starnes. I'm curious what the rest of you MMA fans think: Should Clay Guida be banned from the UFC for running away all 5 rounds of a Championship-style fight? Yes or No. Also, please feel free to share your opinions on why you think Clay Guida SHOULD or shouldn't be banned from UFC. Afterall, sharing is caring. ^_^

There are people out there who share the same opinion as you in regards to a certain champion within the very same organization Clay Guida fights in.

Should we ban him too?
11/29/12 4:24 AM
JakeTheMuss
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ban Ken Wayne Shamrock from the UG? Yes or No?

11/29/12 4:35 AM
Archer0545

JakeTheMuss - Ban Ken Wayne Shamrock from the UG? Yes or No?

This Phone Post
11/29/12 4:38 AM
ChaosOverkill
517 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Archer0545 - 

This Phone Post

this

11/29/12 4:46 AM
TeamRenzo4Life

JBASS - 
Ken Wayne Shamrock - Watching Clay Guida RUN FROM Gray Maynard THE ENTIRE FIGHT influenced me to feel extremely disturbed and sick to my stomach. Why? Clay WAS my favorite fighter to watch until Greg Jackson turned him into an Ultimate Runner worse than Kalib Starnes. I'm curious what the rest of you MMA fans think: Should Clay Guida be banned from the UFC for running away all 5 rounds of a Championship-style fight? Yes or No. Also, please feel free to share your opinions on why you think Clay Guida SHOULD or shouldn't be banned from UFC. Afterall, sharing is caring. ^_^

There are people out there who share the same opinion as you in regards to a certain champion within the very same organization Clay Guida fights in.

Should we ban him too?

I believe that Greg Jackson's teaching is truer to what R. Gracie envisioned with Bob Abraham back in the early 1990s when he first invented ultimate fighting.
I have been watching Ultimate Fighting since at least 2009 (perhaps earlier) and have studied the sport on YouTube dot com. I saw a video once where Mr. R.Gracie does an interview and tells the reporter he has washed his hands of the sport he created because the powers that be imposed rules such as no Keith Hackney punching the testicles or Kimo hair-pulls. He said it is no longer a contest to see who the best fighter in the world if there are rules and certain moves are banned.
Now I see much nostalgia on this sight about how the PRIDE FIGHTING events were so much better, so much more pure and so much better. How can we who call ourselves true ultimate fighting fans and get angry with Jackson for creating a system that wins fights?
I say if we as fans support banning a fighting style then we are no better than the low-down dirty jerks who watered down our beloved sport to begin with.
11/29/12 6:04 AM
DreamerMMA
468 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts, LLC, Moderator

It was an unusual style for Clay Guida to be sure but his normal come at you and brawl style would have been a terrible mistake against Gray Maynard who is a better striker and a better wrestler IMO.

Clay Guida was getting in, getting off some shots, then getting back out which was smart.

Maybe not the most exciting style, and it certainly pissed of Maynard who was expecting an all out war, but effective nonetheless.

I was actually impressed with Guida's patience and gameplan.  He actually frustrated and confused Gray Maynard and that's not easy to do.

11/29/12 6:37 AM
UGCTT_mousetrap
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChaosOverkill -
Archer0545 - 

This Phone Post

this

This Phone Post
11/29/12 7:11 AM
6ULDV8
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3 feet less per side.  The reason the little guys were so exciting in WEC was the cage was 5 feet less per side.

I figure 27' per side instead of 30 would be a good compromise.  The Octagon is too damn big.

11/29/12 7:39 AM
john joe
390 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only, web monkey
gettinjiggysince97 - yeah with the cage being so big it makes that style a viable option its pretty much how mighty mouse wins his fights, idk what a solution is though.

maybe switch to a ring, have the fights in japan where there's no commission, so you can bring back soccer kicks. And give the events a title that relates to 'dingity' or 'honor' ... something like that...

:p
11/29/12 8:10 AM
NorthernIrishZombie
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6ULDV8 - 

3 feet less per side.  The reason the little guys were so exciting in WEC was the cage was 5 feet less per side.

I figure 27' per side instead of 30 would be a good compromise.  The Octagon is too damn big.

This, all day long.

11/29/12 8:14 AM
UGCTT_Pariah

Guida won that fight, still makes ME sick to my stomach that the refs gave it to Maynard. Still a huge Guida fan, and can't wait to see him at 145 Phone Post
11/29/12 8:36 AM
DreamerMMA
468 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts, LLC, Moderator
UGCTT_Pariah -  Guida won that fight, still makes ME sick to my stomach that the refs gave it to Maynard. Still a huge Guida fan, and can't wait to see him at 145 Phone Post

I think you mean the judges. 

Refs catch enough flak without being blamed for decisions.  ;)

11/29/12 9:06 AM
Archer0545

UGCTT_mousetrap -
ChaosOverkill -
Archer0545 - 

This Phone Post

this

This Phone Post
This again! Phone Post
11/29/12 9:12 AM
JamyS26
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Uhhhhh, no? Removing him because of a single fight that he tried a more cautious pick and move style that didn't work would be terrible. He doesn't deserve that. Just a laugh but not a cut Phone Post
11/29/12 9:17 AM
JakeTheMuss
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh my, the OP's ridiculous thread has generated ACTUAL DISCUSSION.

Someone get me a xanax.
11/29/12 9:38 AM
Card
1968 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interview starts at 5:30 min mark.

11/29/12 9:45 AM
UGCTT_Pariah

DreamerMMA -
UGCTT_Pariah -  Guida won that fight, still makes ME sick to my stomach that the refs gave it to Maynard. Still a huge Guida fan, and can't wait to see him at 145 Phone Post

I think you mean the judges. 

Refs catch enough flak without being blamed for decisions.  ;)

Sorry, good catch! Haha..

Was typing that on my way to my first class this morning, too cold for fingers and brain to work together I suppose Phone Post
11/29/12 9:46 AM
Flyers179

Edited: 11/29/12 10:12 AM
Roger Huerta stole his soul.
11/29/12 9:50 AM
Son of Neckbone
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Banned" and "cut" are not the same verbs, but neither will happen.

Certainly after his performance, Joe Silva is highly unlikely to base an event around Guida ever again.

Hopefully he'll be downgraded to the undercard as an example of how not to fight in a main event.
11/29/12 9:51 AM
ortman166

I have no desire to watch him fight or any respect for him as a fighter, but do I wish someone I don't even know personally to lose their job? No not at all, I'm sure he's a cool dude, he just realized that he was overmatched. Phone Post
11/29/12 9:52 AM
JDV
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no
11/29/12 10:24 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
550 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DreamerMMA -

It was an unusual style for Clay Guida to be sure but his normal come at you and brawl style would have been a terrible mistake against Gray Maynard who is a better striker and a better wrestler IMO.

Clay Guida was getting in, getting off some shots, then getting back out which was smart.

Maybe not the most exciting style, and it certainly pissed of Maynard who was expecting an all out war, but effective nonetheless.

I was actually impressed with Guida's patience and gameplan.  He actually frustrated and confused Gray Maynard and that's not easy to do.

Disagree, his best chance was to make it a bit of a brawl, push the pace, force Maynard to work and then use his superior cardio to win the fight in the later rounds. Phone Post
11/29/12 10:29 AM
Ebe5

If he could some how mix the old guida with the new guida I think he would be deadly. Make them miss. make them miss then bam turn it on. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.