UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> Recommend me matches to study

11/30/12 4:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JustPeed
185 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how old are you op? Phone Post
11/30/12 2:37 PM
UGCTT_OBEY
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JustPeed -  how old are you op? Phone Post

bout to be 19 in january

11/30/12 3:10 PM
Daht
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would also recommend watching the current products (wwe/tna).. take what you learn from the greats and adapt it to what will blend with where you hope to work.

Unfortunately modern, making-a-real-living wrestling is faster/shorter/broader than a lot of what purists or long time fans appreciate as great skills/talent. Both in and out of the ring.. take everything you can learn from the past greats and adapt them both to yourself and the environment you want to perform in.
11/30/12 7:08 PM
grizz632
491 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_OBEY -

bout to be 19 in january

So you were born the year of the first Super J Cup then. Thanks for making me feel like an old bastard Phone Post
11/30/12 7:11 PM
Radio Raheem
1324 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/30/12 7:11 PM
grizz632 - 
UGCTT_OBEY -

bout to be 19 in january

So you were born the year of the first Super J Cup then. Thanks for making me feel like an old bastard Phone Post

You are an old bastard!

But wait....

So am i

11/30/12 7:25 PM
WaltJ
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some pretty good recommendations.

As a general piece of advice (not that I've ever "worked" a match), for fuck's sake, learn psychology and match planning. Wrestling has enough stupid backflips and somersaults and dumb gimmick spots. Wrestling has enough retards who are willing to bleed and kill themselves. What wrestling doesn't have much of anymore is guys who know how to logically build a match from start to finish.

Like others have said, watch a lot of the 80's stuff. Even Attitude Era stuff still had some match pyschology. I'm not saying it's gotta be like some 80's stuff where the world champ gets taken to the limit by the Brooklyn Brawler in a two-hour match, but just logically planned.

Fuck.
11/30/12 9:08 PM
UGCTT_OBEY
141 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Radio Raheem - 
grizz632 - 
UGCTT_OBEY -

bout to be 19 in january

You are an old bastard!

But wait....

So am i

lmao it will be ok

RIP to benoit 

11/30/12 10:37 PM
SuperMannyFraker
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hulk-Warrior II at Halloween Havoc 98(?)
12/1/12 5:27 AM
A.C. Slater's Mullet
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lex Lugar VS. Scott Lee. The most storytelling match ever..... J/K.
12/1/12 9:59 AM
WaltJ
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was actually going to say what Daht said, as well. If something like WWE is really what you're shooting for, go to acting school first and learn that art. Phone Post
12/1/12 12:13 PM
bruddahoodaman
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

depends what you are trying to work on. if you suck at selling, watch old kurt henning tapes. if you suck at your grappling, become cena.
12/1/12 2:54 PM
roninthebox
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bruddahoodaman - depends what you are trying to work on. if you suck at selling, watch old kurt henning tapes. if you suck at your grappling, become cena.
Best advice ever Phone Post
12/1/12 6:33 PM
Roy Batty
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Terry Gordy was another GREAT taller wrestler to check out. Any of his stuff in All Japan, including tags, was choice.
12/1/12 6:35 PM
Roy Batty
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any Billy Robinson or Karl Gotch stuff is pretty much must-see, too. Also, Nick Bockwinkel was freakin' great and is criminally underrated these days.
12/2/12 10:00 PM
bigwignj
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alex Shelley circa 2002-2005 to learn chain. Your welcome. Phone Post
12/2/12 10:36 PM
Radio Raheem
1324 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bigwignj -  Alex Shelley circa 2002-2005 to learn chain. Your welcome. Phone Post

Lucky speaks the truth.

12/2/12 11:13 PM
roninthebox
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bobcats On Booze - Melina vs Alicia Fox Phone Post
Yes yes yes Phone Post
12/6/12 12:23 PM
Roy Batty

Oh yeah, Akira Taue's pacing and psychology was awesome; he's not the most graceful wrestler ever, but he got the most out of what he had. His tags with Kawada against any combo of Misawa, Kobashi, and Akiyama are a good place to start -- many of 'em got the full 5 stars from Meltzer; any of his singles matches with those guys from around '93-'97 are great stuff, too.
12/6/12 12:27 PM
Roy Batty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQUFHpk3rWU

It don't get much better than that!
12/6/12 7:49 PM
instantkarma
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheBearStare - One awesome idea u should steal is a knee drop off the top rope. Rick rude did it to chono back.in the early 90s and it was one of the most vicious things i ever saw. it was used as a match ender. So basic but so painful looking. Havent seen anyone else do it. Phone Post
Ivan Koloff ended Bruno's title run with this move. Phone Post
12/6/12 10:21 PM
grizz632
491 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roy Batty - Oh yeah, Akira Taue's pacing and psychology was awesome; he's not the most graceful wrestler ever, but he got the most out of what he had. His tags with Kawada against any combo of Misawa, Kobashi, and Akiyama are a good place to start -- many of 'em got the full 5 stars from Meltzer; any of his singles matches with those guys from around '93-'97 are great stuff, too.
If you want to learn tag team wrestling then the Holy Demon Army is a great place to start. Taue always seemed awkward to me, but it was almost a graceful awkwardness if that makes sense. He was easy to overlook or dismiss being a contemporary of Misawa, Kobashi, Kawada, Akiyama, etc but he was a key cog in the AJPW machine of the '90's. I think a lot of those 5 star tag matches are slightly overrated given Meltzer's extreme hard-on for that era of AJPW, but they're still excellent. Most I'd rate as 4-4 1/2 or so, with some 5s. Phone Post
12/7/12 2:15 PM
Roy Batty

grizz632 - 
Roy Batty - Oh yeah, Akira Taue's pacing and psychology was awesome; he's not the most graceful wrestler ever, but he got the most out of what he had. His tags with Kawada against any combo of Misawa, Kobashi, and Akiyama are a good place to start -- many of 'em got the full 5 stars from Meltzer; any of his singles matches with those guys from around '93-'97 are great stuff, too.
If you want to learn tag team wrestling then the Holy Demon Army is a great place to start. Taue always seemed awkward to me, but it was almost a graceful awkwardness if that makes sense. He was easy to overlook or dismiss being a contemporary of Misawa, Kobashi, Kawada, Akiyama, etc but he was a key cog in the AJPW machine of the '90's. I think a lot of those 5 star tag matches are slightly overrated given Meltzer's extreme hard-on for that era of AJPW, but they're still excellent. Most I'd rate as 4-4 1/2 or so, with some 5s. Phone Post

I pretty much agree with Meltzer's ratings until about the 2nd half of '97, when they started going CRAZY with the head drops. Either way, yeah, those matches ruled, and I agree that Taue was oddly smooth with his awkwardness. I've always thought he might have had the best sense of pacing and psychology of any of the 90s AJPW guys, maybe the best of anyone ever, and was a huge part of why those tags rocked.
12/7/12 2:19 PM
Roy Batty

Edited: 12/07/12 8:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD3ts9LezPQ<br

Taue-Kobashi from '04. It's all spots, which is why I posted, the highlighted -- with AWESOME slo-mo -- version, like a lot of NOAH was by this point; even with the spot-fest style of NOAH, Taue has some awesome build to spots, like the chokeslam on the ramp. I'd totally steal a couple of Taue's spots seen here, namely the Ore ga Taue and the Chichibu Cement.
12/7/12 2:21 PM
Roy Batty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gussY6Xu_s

A SWEET Kobashi spot to steal, and one that guys in the US would actually take :D, is the Black Crush.
12/7/12 5:01 PM
UGCTT_OBEY

Once again thank you for all your contributions to this thread it's really appreciated

I have been watching everything I could find over this passed week
a lot of good recommendations thank you Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.