UnderGround Forums

Pro Wrestling Ground >> "Freebird" Buddy Roberts RIP

11/29/12 3:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Augie Max
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMARoundup.com

via CageSideSeats.com

Although he survived a long battle with throat cancer caused by smoking cigarettes, Buddy Roberts died today at the age of 65, as announced by an article on WWE.com.

The article gives some background on Roberts career:

Roberts first made an impact on wrestling in the 1970s, working his way through the territories as one-half of a tag team called The Hollywood Blonds with Jerry Brown. The duo racked up championships across the United States before parting ways late in the decade.

As the 1980s began, so did The Fabulous Freebirds. The technically sound Roberts joined forces with the charismatic Michael "P.S." Hayes and the hard-hitting Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy, and Southern wrestling was never the same. The trio ran roughshod over the South before landing in Dallas and World Class Championship Wrestling.

Roberts retired in 1990 after stints in the AWA, UWF, WWF and another run in WCCW.

The Freebirds were big draws in their territory in their time and Roberts was one hell of a worker. No, you're not going to hear his name come up often when discussing the greatest of all time but he absolutely deserves accolades for his various accomplishments in the industry.

Rest in peace.

11/29/12 3:55 PM
TheSwansBoingBoingedMyBaggies
561 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP Phone Post
11/29/12 4:04 PM
Nuckin Futs
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a shame Vince didn't put the Freebirds in the HOF while Roberts was alive. He's been in bad health for a while and it should have been done.

So sad seeing so many of the guys that made up a happy part of my childhood passing away.
11/29/12 4:11 PM
Augie Max
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMARoundup.com

11/29/12 4:17 PM
Augie Max

MMARoundup.com

11/29/12 4:23 PM
UGCTT_OBEY
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If they don't go in the next HOF I'm going to go ape shit

RIP to a legend Phone Post
11/29/12 4:41 PM
Winky is Wright
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP

11/29/12 5:36 PM
Violentguy
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bummer..rip Phone Post
11/29/12 6:04 PM
Joe
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it used to infuriate me just to see him coming to the ring. i don't know why but that was good heel heat. rip.
11/29/12 8:06 PM
othree
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP. 

11/29/12 8:32 PM
torquemada
312 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nuckin Futs - It's a shame Vince didn't put the Freebirds in the HOF while Roberts was alive. He's been in bad health for a while and it should have been done.

So sad seeing so many of the guys that made up a happy part of my childhood passing away.
This. Overdue, especially now. Phone Post
11/29/12 8:41 PM
grizz632
693 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bummer, he put up a valiant fight though, rip

And the Freebirds not being in is yet another reason the HOF is a joke Phone Post
11/29/12 9:42 PM
Radio Raheem
1333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP, sad day for wrestling fans. So many great memories of watching the Freebirds with my dad when I was a kid.
It's a shame Michael Hayes will be going into the HOF alone. Should have been in a long time ago. Phone Post
11/29/12 10:18 PM
Augie Max

MMARoundup.com
Radio Raheem -  RIP, sad day for wrestling fans. So many great memories of watching the Freebirds with my dad when I was a kid.
It's a shame Michael Hayes will be going into the HOF alone. Should have been in a long time ago. Phone Post

Jimmy Garvin says otherwise... but not Big Daddy Dink or Brad "Badstreet" Armstrong.

11/30/12 4:16 PM
Slydawg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nuckin Futs - It's a shame Vince didn't put the Freebirds in the HOF while Roberts was alive. He's been in bad health for a while and it should have been done.

Someone VTFU for the best post of the day. Phone Post
11/30/12 6:33 PM
cawsie77
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP Phone Post
11/30/12 9:14 PM
TSMontana
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sad day for pro wrestling.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.