UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Question about squat technique

11/29/12 4:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LordSeano
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guys i had a question that you might be able to help with. Im doing 531 and making good gains in all lifts but in the work sets when i squat, at the parallel point at the bottom of the squat my hip flexors feel very, very tight. Almost painful.

Ive been watching a lot of the elite fts videos on technique and trying to make sure my technique is sound.

Any thoughts on what this could be caused by, and if its a weak point in my lower body would it be worth adding a specific additional assistance exercise to help strengthen them? Phone Post
11/29/12 4:56 PM
jeremy hamilton
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Could be a glute weakness causing you to try and stay more upright and squat using your quads. I have seen this.

Do lots of glute strengthening and activating exercises and stretch the fuck out of your flexors and quads.

That is my guess. Go see a good A.R.T provider, they will be able to check and give you the best advice.
11/29/12 5:27 PM
LordSeano
200 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cheers - much appreciated
11/30/12 8:29 AM
Chocolate Shatner
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you tried foam rolling it? I know for me when the hip flexors get a bit too tight, a good dose of foam rolling helps a lot.
11/30/12 8:52 AM
LordSeano

Any chance you could link me to the exercise you are talking about s I've never used a foam roller Phone Post
11/30/12 9:09 AM
Chocolate Shatner
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJLxruO3su0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foam_rolling
11/30/12 10:06 AM
LordSeano

cheers
12/1/12 2:44 AM
McGruff The Crime Hog
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't recommend "Starting Strength" by Mark Ripptoe enough. He goes over squat technique in so much detail you can't go wrong. He also reviews bench, squat, and dead lifts. I've been squating wrong the entire 38 years if my life. Wish I would have read this 20 years ago. I don't think it is possible to write anything more than he has. Phone Post
12/1/12 2:47 AM
LordSeano

McGruff The Crime Hog - I can't recommend "Starting Strength" by Mark Ripptoe enough. He goes over squat technique in so much detail you can't go wrong. He also reviews bench, squat, and dead lifts. I've been squating wrong the entire 38 years if my life. Wish I would have read this 20 years ago. I don't think it is possible to write anything more than he has. Phone Post
Yeah ive watched just about every elite fts and rippetoe squat video there is so without a coach to actually give me feedback and correct my mistakes ive got my form as good as i can i think Phone Post
12/1/12 8:27 PM
ResidentJester
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Add in the "couch stretch" to
Your daily routine. The tight hip flexors are usually caused by sitting for long periods of time for years on end. This stretch will help open them back up. Phone Post
12/2/12 8:00 AM
MattB ATC
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In addition to everybody else's suggestions of foam rolling/soft tissue work to the hip flexors and stretching/mobility work, try "spreading the floor" while you are squatting. Feel like you are driving your feet into the ground and spreading the floor between your feet apart. This technique will help activate the gluteals and may help open up the anterior capsule and decrease any anterior hip impingement that is occurring at the lower range of motion of the squat.
12/2/12 10:19 AM
HULC
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll 2nd the couch stretch recommendation. I didn't even realise i had tight hip flexors until i tried doing this move, and it's been a staple of my stretching routine ever since.
12/2/12 2:17 PM
McGruff The Crime Hog
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like that couch stretch RJ, voted up. Gonna start doing that regularly.
12/2/12 2:50 PM
LordSeano

That couch stretch looks good. Will try that tomorrow.
12/2/12 5:11 PM
kyle47129
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This was also my problem until I started to add In a glute activation exercise in during my warm up. Now I never have this problem and my glutes are much harder. Phone Post
12/2/12 5:12 PM
kyle47129
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So lay on your stomach and bend one of your legs, then try to kick your heel of the bent leg to the ceiling. Do on each side. Should help. Phone Post
12/2/12 6:58 PM
Chocolate Shatner

kyle47129 -  This was also my problem until I started to add In a glute activation exercise in during my warm up. Now I never have this problem and my glutes are much harder. Phone Post

Pics or GTFO.
12/3/12 1:42 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sampson stretch & glute activation work might help.

For glute activation I like glute bridges and the exercise where you walk side ways with elastic around both ankles. For both I keep my hands kind of on my quads with my thumbs slightly pressing into my hip flexors, this gives me feedback on whether or not my hips and quads are loose. If they're tense, they you're using them instead of your arse muscles which is counter productive.

Do you work sitting at a desk? Are you taller than average?
12/3/12 1:55 AM
LordSeano

Yes and 6ft 2.

This is all great advice though guys cheers Phone Post
12/3/12 2:22 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

Try a wider stance while squatting too, it might help with your current muscle activation/mobility issues and hit the glutes more.
12/3/12 3:49 AM
LordSeano

I use a pretty wide stance at the moment - wider than shoulders. To the point i get the helpful 'instructors' at my gym coming over and teling me i should be standing with my legs close together and not turning my feet out as much.... Phone Post
12/3/12 1:36 PM
andyman011

Sub Phone Post
12/3/12 4:30 PM
Chocolate Shatner

LordSeano -  I use a pretty wide stance at the moment - wider than shoulders. To the point i get the helpful 'instructors' at my gym coming over and teling me i should be standing with my legs close together and not turning my feet out as much.... Phone Post

Next time one of those idiots comes over, shove an Olympic bar up their ass, and then tell them to get their feet closer together.
12/3/12 5:24 PM
LordSeano

BY the way - I was benching today and gave the couch stretch a try at the end of the workout before I changed.

On the left leg I could just about get my torso vertical but it was painful and about eased into it with a grimace. When I tried it on the right leg I couldnt get my torso anywhere near vertical, so great call on that one. I'm going to work on that stretch each day.
12/3/12 5:27 PM
LordSeano

I also tried the glutes exercise where you lay flat on your stomach and then bend your legs up so the bottom of your feet are facing the ceiling and then crunch your glutes to 'push' your foot towards the ceiling.

I could feel it in the glutes well but it made my hammys cramp up like a fucker

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.