UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Question about squat technique

1/7/13 12:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
snowman95
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MattB ATC - In addition to everybody else's suggestions of foam rolling/soft tissue work to the hip flexors and stretching/mobility work, try "spreading the floor" while you are squatting. Feel like you are driving your feet into the ground and spreading the floor between your feet apart. This technique will help activate the gluteals and may help open up the anterior capsule and decrease any anterior hip impingement that is occurring at the lower range of motion of the squat.

sub
1/7/13 7:59 AM
Dogmeat 1
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

andyman011 - 
Invisible Lats Syndrome -
andyman011 -  I got a question. I can see how squatting in a smith can ruin your range of motion but doesn't benching in a smith equal free benching minus balancing a bit. From what I know the bar goes up and down in a straight line in a bench. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I do regular and incline bench on a smith so I don't drop Shit on myself if I push too hard Phone Post

Nothing is completely linear when it comes to human motion.

Benching is a compound exercise, it kind of defeats the purpose to use a smith machine and remove all elements of stabilisation.
So the smith is completely useless? Phone Post

Smith machines aren't great but I don't agree that they are useless; if you train seriously using one you will still likely make gains. The problem is that smith machines are way-overpriced and over-used in gyms, and that free weights are better in just about every regard. Power cages are both cheaper and better for serious training yet tend to be fairly rare in average gyms compared to smith machines which is a big factor why I think they generate so much hate.

That being said they are still an option if a power cage or squat rack isn't available. I used them myself quite a bit when I was new and then later on during a period where I didn't have access to anything better. Both times I made good gains which transferred when I switched back to free weights. The fixed plane of motion does mean you have to limit your depth but it is still possible to safely break parallel and overall while it's not great training it is nowhere near as awful as some people make it out to be.
1/7/13 1:00 PM
disbeliever
360 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
I broke my ankle many years ago, and no matter how much I stretch can't get my ankle to be flexible enough to do a full 90 degree squat. I go as low as I can, but it's not 90 degrees
1/15/13 1:29 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

disbeliever - I broke my ankle many years ago, and no matter how much I stretch can't get my ankle to be flexible enough to do a full 90 degree squat. I go as low as I can, but it's not 90 degrees

How about real wide stance back squatting?
1/16/13 1:15 AM
KOArtist
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.