UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Carb Backloading

11/29/12 8:45 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
surf2live
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Co Worker started this diet about a month ago. He says its great, that he is leaner than ever but still keeping his strength. Anyone have any experience with it?
11/30/12 10:41 AM
big_slacker
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just read up about it. So it's basically an ultra low carb induction phase ala atkins, then continue ulta low carb but pig out post evening workout. I mean, whatever works for you, but the binge eating stuff has never been that great for me.
11/30/12 3:31 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't work for me I experiment a lot but this was a poor outcome.

11/30/12 3:55 PM
herwil10
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So from what I've just read by googling it, the diet is:

1. Low carb all day till workout (less than 30g carbs)
2. Post workout it's high-carb, eat whatever you want?

What I didn't see is on non-workout days is it low carb as well? or do you "backload" on those days too?

Seems to be just a different form of the traditional timed-carb keto diets that have been around for awhile. There's The Anabolic diet by Mauro DiPasquale and Lyle Mcdonalds's Ketogenic Diet book that are variations on timed-carb diets and those have been out since the 90's.

Guess I'm just trying to figure out what's new about this version...

Is it really just "keto till workout-then have your carbs till bed" on workout days? Or is there some secret in his book (that costs $89!!!) that I'm missing?

11/30/12 3:57 PM
herwil10
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edit nevermind, his book is "only" $57 now... $89 was the old price :)
11/30/12 6:52 PM
big_slacker
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

herwil10 - So from what I've just read by googling it, the diet is:

1. Low carb all day till workout (less than 30g carbs)
2. Post workout it's high-carb, eat whatever you want?

What I didn't see is on non-workout days is it low carb as well? or do you "backload" on those days too?

Seems to be just a different form of the traditional timed-carb keto diets that have been around for awhile. There's The Anabolic diet by Mauro DiPasquale and Lyle Mcdonalds's Ketogenic Diet book that are variations on timed-carb diets and those have been out since the 90's.

Guess I'm just trying to figure out what's new about this version...

Is it really just "keto till workout-then have your carbs till bed" on workout days? Or is there some secret in his book (that costs $89!!!) that I'm missing?

Non workout days according to the limited googling I did are still low carb with a single late day meal. This article has a good breakdown. (note this is page 3 of the article)

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/carb-backloading-to-get-lean?page=3
11/30/12 9:36 PM
herwil10

Thanks that article explains it better than the one I found.
12/5/12 11:31 AM
Taku
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There was another thread about this a while ago. This technique seems to be nothing speacial IMO. Don't waste money buying a book about it.

TAKU

12/5/12 3:27 PM
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I find what works really well is low-carb during the day, normal meal + optional little bit of sweets in the evening.
12/5/12 6:53 PM
big_slacker

I think that article I posted has really everything you need to know. I don't need 200 pages of why if the how is a page. ;)
12/6/12 11:08 AM
MikeFL152
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bet if your buddy stopped carb backloading and replaced those carbs with fats, he would see much quicker results.
12/7/12 8:40 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jorx - I find what works really well is low-carb during the day, normal meal + optional little bit of sweets in the evening.

be careful with this "in the evening" statement. carbohydrates "overload" leads to inhibition of hGH and insulin resistence.  

5/8/13 7:07 PM
FatFrenchFry
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ArthurKnoqOut - 
Jorx - I find what works really well is low-carb during the day, normal meal + optional little bit of sweets in the evening.

be careful with this "in the evening" statement. carbohydrates "overload" leads to inhibition of hGH and insulin resistence.  

I think that's why he says to ONLY eat high GI carbs after. The idea is to get a huge insulin surge (if that's the right way to put it) to transport glucose to muscle, but by the time you're asleep it won't interfere with GH production.
He speaks a lot about glucose transporters.
I recall it making sense when I read it, but don't remember specifics.

I wouldn't pay for the book, but interesting read.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.