UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Help w/2001 Durango, tach goes bonkers

11/29/12 11:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will preface this by saying I know next to nothing about cars so if I use the wrong terms or say something that makes no sense, I apologize.

My 01 Durango always drove fine until one day, I kind of slammed on the gas a bit too much and the tach jumped to 3 or 4, it felt like it was revving really hard, and it wouldn't go over 30pmh or so. It was like it was stuck and wouldn't go past that point until I slowed down almost to a stop and then it "cleared" and was fine.

Since then, it happens again almost every time I drive it and it's the same thing every time: Pull over and stop and then resume driving and it's fine. I've taken it to 2 diff mechanics. The first thought it was the battery for some reason (it was old but that made no sense to me) and replaced it. The problem persisted, so a second mechanic replaced the alternator. No effect, it's still happening.

I'm sorry for the FRAT but one more detail in case it helps: Today I was nearly out of gas (I'm a dummy) and it behaved the same way, just more severe. The tach went nuts and the engine was loud as hell but I couldn't get it to go over 20mph, even after stopping completely. Once I got gas, it went back to normal.

Does anyone know what it might be? I'm fairly cluless in these matters but I'm a fast learner and at the very least maybe I can point a mechanic in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.
11/30/12 9:00 AM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt Phone Post
12/2/12 11:27 PM
fryingarmbar

One last ttt Phone Post
12/6/12 3:45 AM
occupy_DDF
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Disclaimer: I'm no mechanic but I like to tinker and learn as well.

If you're getting the rpm's but no speed, it sounds like there is a disconnect in the transmission somewhere. It's either searching for the RPM shiftpoint and not recognizing it, or it's having troubles shifting from one gear to the next. I'm assuming the Durango is an automatic? I'd take it to a dealer or trans shop and them to take a look.

12/6/12 9:01 AM
fryingarmbar

occupy_DDF - Disclaimer: I'm no mechanic but I like to tinker and learn as well.

If you're getting the rpm's but no speed, it sounds like there is a disconnect in the transmission somewhere. It's either searching for the RPM shiftpoint and not recognizing it, or it's having troubles shifting from one gear to the next. I'm assuming the Durango is an automatic? I'd take it to a dealer or trans shop and them to take a look.

Yes, automatic, I should have mentioned that. Thanks for the info. Phone Post
12/6/12 5:43 PM
occupy_DDF
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fryingarmbar - 
occupy_DDF - Disclaimer: I'm no mechanic but I like to tinker and learn as well.

Yes, automatic, I should have mentioned that. Thanks for the info. Phone Post

No worries, buddy. Keep us updated on what you find out, etc.
12/14/12 2:55 PM
E55 Pilot
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My 06 Durango has been nothing but problems... good luck.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.