UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> PS3 red blinking light

11/30/12 11:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
beastrosoup
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My ps3 has a red blinking light. I can turn it on and i can play for anytime between 30 minutes to a couple hours depending on how long it sit before it then shuts off and blinks red again. I assume it is overheating and I have done some research on it. Everyone recomends holding the eject button to make the fan run to clean it but this does not work on my ps3 it might be too old to have this. The last set of digets on the serial number is ceche01. So far I have taken a vacuum to the vents but the problem has not ceased. Any suggestions?
11/30/12 11:45 AM
deepu
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are home grown fixes involving hair dryers or opening the PS3 and using a heat gun to re-seat the CPU. Plenty of youtube videos.

I opened mine up (an old original model) but getting to the CPU was a major pain in the ass. So I sent it to get fixed by guys who I assumed were re-seating the processor with the heat gun. I have no idea if they used new thermal paste and did it properly however. I got my PS3 back but it died again 3 months later.

Maybe if you re-seat the processor cleanly with new thermal paste and a good heat gun, you might get another few years out of your PS3.
11/30/12 6:35 PM
DrunkenOtter
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got a computer dude to fix mine. Been working fine for months now.

It'll prolly shit itself now I've said that! Phone Post
11/30/12 6:39 PM
beastrosoup
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the help guys Phone Post
11/30/12 7:12 PM
Darth_Vladar
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had this. Googled it and found something to do with the fan and all sorts. Basically get a vacuum onto the fan at the back and unclog the shit. It'l work like magic. Phone Post
12/1/12 4:57 PM
WikiTheWalrus
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's why you should buy an XBox, much more reliable than a PS3.
12/1/12 7:05 PM
Darth_Vladar
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WikiTheWalrus - That's why you should buy an XBox, much more reliable than a PS3.
I'd dispute that, I've had two since they first came out. All of my friends who have Xbox have had 2-3 and are always moaning about issues with them. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.