UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Iliadis on gripping

12/1/12 3:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Seong gyeong
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5nLpP_TUV8&sns=em

I like how he says Asian players were born with the inside lapel grip LOL
12/1/12 12:48 PM
Weinstein
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the vid.

And I've never had any luck playing traditional collar and sleeve with the Japanese either.
12/5/12 6:09 PM
ASanchez83
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you.
12/21/12 3:54 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well, if you analyze the number of hours, which i've done about 1 hundred times you'd understand why he says that. Japanese and Koreans start judo at ages 5 or 6.. 5-6 days a week with maybe a month off per year. 2-3 hour practices.

so, that's getting close to 10,000 hours of judo by the time they are at their physical peak...

meanwhile, in the USA, where we are stupid enough to think we can do it "the Japanese way" and just think it is about having nice uchikomi... we start at maybe 9 or 10, 6 if we are lucky, and do judo 2-3 days a week for maybe 2 hours... plus maybe a "camp" here or there. and then, if we are super serious maybe we wrestle in HS to get extra training and competition and then maybe, if we are super, super, super serious go to a place like SJSU, JMJC, Pedro's etc after high school and finally train judo 5-6 days a week... so, at best, we practice maybe 5,000-7,000 hours by the time we are at our physical peak...

In other words, if we do not develop a different system of playing the game then we are frequently destined to lose when faced with people from that type of system.

the dumbest thing we do in the USA is put down wrestling. we should be doing everything possible to work with local wrestling clubs and find a style that is uniquely American...
12/21/12 10:46 AM
Anigav

I agree that Judokas should work with wrestlers. A wrestler came to our club recently and he has been a great asset to the team.
12/21/12 11:40 AM
Weinstein

Josh, that makes sense. I love playing the "asian" style of Judo but can only pull it off against butt floppers.
12/21/12 11:36 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gladwell's 10k hours is bullshit. Sadly everyone thinks it's the gospel, and it just ain't so. (Mark Twain)

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20121114-gladwells-10000-hour-rule-myth/1

12/22/12 5:18 PM
nowaydo
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm with you, Josh!
12/23/12 6:45 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't personally seen much wrestling bashing since a lot of the judoka I know used to wrestle and it clearly helps them.

1/9/13 12:58 PM
thePetester

Bull_in_chinashop - 

Gladwell's 10k hours is bullshit. Sadly everyone thinks it's the gospel, and it just ain't so. (Mark Twain)

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20121114-gladwells-10000-hour-rule-myth/1

I don't think josh's post is emphasizing the fact they have trained 10k hours. It is emphasizing that they have spent twice as much time training and spent more of the time during the development phase of growth training than athletes here.

I could be wrong, that is just how I read it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.