UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> Anyone else pumped for the next gen consoles?

12/6/12 1:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT croy_00
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am pumped for new hardware, since most PC games are ports of the crap they are stuffing onto current gen systems. Makes for better PC games.
12/6/12 4:39 PM
BigWilliam
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know xbox will take those processors and cram them in with no ventilation. I predict the first production runs on their next console will be recalled after starting a number of large house fires.
12/7/12 11:08 AM
UGCTT croy_00
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigWilliam - You know xbox will take those processors and cram them in with no ventilation. I predict the first production runs on their next console will be recalled after starting a number of large house fires.
Chips don't run as hot as they used to with the lower TDP. That is as long as they don't try to do something stupid like a die shrink to save more power. Really hope they step away from power PC and embrace X86 like a boss. Phone Post
12/11/12 4:08 AM
easedel
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not really, cause then it will take about 2 years for games on the new consoles to tweak themselves to the system.
12/11/12 10:46 AM
MITman2k
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd be impressed if the next gen consoles can run the majority of their games at 1080p and at 60 fps.

12/11/12 11:45 AM
orcus

They won't, the majority of devs will always opt for better graphics and more effects at 30fps.

12/11/12 1:53 PM
Gerbacio
611 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Harlow's Rhesus -

Size, cooling and stability all cap the console far below the capacity of current pc hardware standards and allow for pretty precise speculation as to the range of performance. We don't know specific parts, obviously, but if you think they're going to come close to a 3570k or gtx x60 you are out of your mind, and thats a >700 build.

That said, i sure hope they do.

I guess my point is even if they do put comparable parts or better, this will be the smallest shift in graphics quality, after the longest generation yet, which is a weird situation and might disappoint some folks.

Think about the hardware of the current gen and how good the last of us, uncharted, gears of war and halo 4 look Phone Post
12/11/12 2:17 PM
orcus

Head of Crytek just said in an interview that he wishes the console makers would just "triple or quadruple" the RAM they put in so they could have 32gb to play with, strongly implying the new consoles have 8gb of RAM.

12/11/12 2:24 PM
Gerbacio
611 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 

Head of Crytek just said in an interview that he wishes the console makers would just "triple or quadruple" the RAM they put in so they could have 32gb to play with, strongly implying the new consoles have 8gb of RAM.

8 still alot...i think they should put 16gb atleast...shit ram is cheap nowadays

12/11/12 3:55 PM
None So Blind
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll wait 'til the first major RRoD/YLoD issue is spotted and fixed :-/

Not like I still don't have ~30 games from this gen to finish, and ain't no way in hell I'll get through all those by the time new consoles roll around, let alone when you add stuff that hasn't come out yet (Last of Us, Colonial Marines, etc.)...
12/11/12 8:30 PM
UGCTT croy_00

Gerbacio -
orcus - 

8 still alot...i think they should put 16gb atleast...shit ram is cheap nowadays

16 would be nice, but don't forget, they don't have a bloated OS running in the system memory. So 8 would be a shit ton. I want to see 3GB's of dedicated VRAM personally. No more shitty texture resolutions and plenty of anti aliasing for all! Phone Post
12/11/12 10:15 PM
None So Blind
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

According to this article, PS4 has 16 GB of RAM.

http://news.yahoo.com/xbox-720-playstation-4-might-not-launch-until-174546422.html

"Xbox World claimed last month that the next Xbox will have a Blu-ray disc drive, Kinect 2.0, directional audio, TV output and input, an “innovative controller” and support for augmented reality glasses – all packaged in a magnesium alloy shell that will supposedly use the same patented “VaporMg” process found on the Surface tablet.

Not only that, but Microsoft is also working on an “Xbox Lite,” according to reports from earlier this year.

As for PS4 details, VG247 reported in November that Sony has already sent out various developer kits with specs including 16GB of RAM and 256GB of storage."
12/13/12 3:10 PM
orcus

Latest word from Kotaku:

If you talk to people about the next-gen games at, oh, I don't know, a major gaming trade show or a major gaming awards show, the persistent impression given is that these new systems will be powerful. The old comparison I heard—and saw backed up by a solid report on IGN—was that the new Xbox would be eight times more powerful than the 360. That's old reporting, from earlier in the year. We've also heard that Durango is roughly as graphically capable as the second-most powerful PC on the market today, which, yes, is quite the indirect statement. The chatter we hear is that Durango and Orbis are close in power to each other or at least both in the same league past the current gen. Much may have changed since then and, as any Wii U owner can tell you, it's damn hard to assess how powerful a system is even when playing the first batch of games a developer made for it. (Or don't ask a Wii U user... ask an Xbox 360 user to compare 2005 360 launch games Kameo: Elements of Power or Perfect Dark Zero to 2012's Halo 4).

The vibe I get when I hear about Durango is that Microsoft is on the mark. Sony appears to inspire less confidence, though I've had a hard time nailing down why and discerning how much lost confidence is due to the on-and-off troubles of the PlayStation 3 and the struggles of the Vita vs. how much lost confidence is due to any problems looming for PS4. What I do know is that confidence is high that the next Xbox will be out in time for next Christmas. Confidence is less high that Sony will pull off the same feat, though they want to.

NSB, PS3 dev kits having 16gb of ram isn't indicative of the system itself having that much. The devkit has to run all the debug features etc and emulate some of the features of the actual system.
12/13/12 3:58 PM
Bry Bry

ehh im indifferent i just want to play fun games..i dont care how strong the processor is, what gb this or that is, if the game is fun and addicting, im good..
12/13/12 4:04 PM
None So Blind

^^^ Could be true.

I have to LOL at the thought of the game of chicken (and maybe even corporate espionage or some such) with regard to the systems having similar specs. I wonder how much MS and Sony know about each other's consoles, or at least when they knew it (I'm sure after the kits went out, developers told all their friends).

It might only be a moral victory for PS4 to have 16 gigs of RAM and 720 to have 8 or 12...or it might not. I remember that MS seemed to be on the fence for the longest time about how much RAM to stick in the 360, and they wound up erring on the high side, which seemed to me like a phenomenally intelligent decision :-P given that it made the two systems pretty damned comparable - had the 360 had half the RAM of the PS3 (256 megs vs 512), that could have gotten ugly...

Point being, I'm sure both sides are anxious not to make that kind of mistake here.
12/13/12 4:10 PM
None So Blind

Ooops - Bry Bry beat my response to Orcus.

But I agree with Bry Bry - a fun game is a fun game regardless of whether it has only 2x antialiasing as opposed to 4x, and a shit game is shit even if it looks like Crysis running on a Cray XK6 setup ;-)
12/16/12 11:42 PM
abi
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hopefully sony/microsoft show off their next gen consoles at E3 2013.. Phone Post
12/17/12 12:20 PM
UGCTT croy_00

abi -  hopefully sony/microsoft show off their next gen consoles at E3 2013.. Phone Post

I imagine they have to at this point. Need to get that hype train rolling for the 2013 Holiday season.

I really hope Sony can be more competitive right out the gate. I am an Xbox guy, but nothing wrong with some healthy competition to keep everyone honest.
12/18/12 12:20 AM
orcus

"It might only be a moral victory for PS4 to have 16 gigs of RAM and 720 to have 8 or 12..."

I'd say there's no chance PS4 will have 16gb of RAM. PS3 only has 256mb.

12/18/12 12:59 AM
Motivated Penn
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I owned an xbox, never used it for anything but a media center.

I own a 360.. well I did play GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption, but otherwise it's a dust collector.

Doubt I will fork out for another console, primarily because I don't see myself gaming like that, but also because games are super expensive on those things, you can get offers from all sorts of places with PC games, shop around.
12/18/12 1:49 AM
UGCTT croy_00

It's all about Steam for me. Steam on PC makes it hard not to be a gamer. So often they have 75% off sales on PC games...I should really think about burning my wallet when sales are on lol.
12/18/12 10:35 AM
Motivated Penn
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT croy_00 - It's all about Steam for me. Steam on PC makes it hard not to be a gamer. So often they have 75% off sales on PC games...I should really think about burning my wallet when sales are on lol.

Steam sales are great, but there are other sites out there. In some cases, if you are content with not having all your games on Steam, you can save a bundle.

Check out greenmangaming before buying on Steam, there are often 25% and 30% reduced prices on new games compared to Steam. Also, check out Humble Bundle. Just google it. Insane crazy offers at times. I get most my stuff on Steam, but I have saved lots by checking elsewhere too.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.