UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Aghhh Rib injury... Help me through my depression!

12/1/12 5:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mishto chuckles
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ughhh .... ive been on a roll with no injuries training 6 days a week for almost a year and here i go and bust up a rib...sucks bc Ive got the Abu Dhabi Trials coming up in february.... never been in better shape and i was in that groove improving at a super fast rate.  Ive injured ribs before and i tryed coming back early after a couple weeks and reinjured it worse so im on the bench for at least a month....   beef me up with some injury stories!

12/1/12 5:52 PM
mishto chuckles

I had the guy mounted and he rolled me and twisted pretty hard for the omoplata and it popped pretty loud....im hoping it didnt crack, Im thinking the cartilage just tore but the guy stopped immediatly when he heard it pop and i yelped a bit

12/1/12 5:55 PM
dustyaguas
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Floating rib injury from No Gi Worlds. Been almost a month and it feels exactly the same.

The good news is it could always be worse, like this dude for example.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8gqvqkwEx7U Phone Post
12/1/12 6:00 PM
mishto chuckles

are you training on it?

12/1/12 6:01 PM
mishto chuckles

I learned my lesson from last time, I came back after a couple weeks before i was ready and reinjured worse when i tryed taking your back from north south....it sucks but im gonna likely be out a month

12/1/12 6:02 PM
dustyaguas
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah I've taken a day off here and there. As long as I'm on top I'm fine. On bottom I can only play to my right side, anything on the left is painful. Phone Post
12/1/12 6:04 PM
dustyaguas

Just playing a lot of open, reverse dlr, half, and butterfly. Even traditional DLR is hard to do, any kind of pressure on my left side makes it impossible to breathe. Phone Post
12/1/12 6:07 PM
Caleb R
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I'd rather break a rib than damage the cartilage Phone Post
12/1/12 6:12 PM
mishto chuckles

yeah i think you are right....ive done both, the rib that i tore the cartilage in took very long to heal and the rib still pokes out pretty far from where it was displaced....to this day it hurts to lay directly on it on a hard surface

12/2/12 12:57 AM
Caleb R
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I never gave mine enough time, and for the past 7 years or so it can pop at any time. It's really depressing. Phone Post
12/2/12 10:24 AM
temp187989

There's a new surgery available that significantly reduces recovery time. As a result of a Bjj injury, I had half my rib pushing out against my skin and the other half going in against my lung... I couldn't even breathe correctly much less train.

After the surgery, I was training light after 7 days and within 3 weeks I was 90%. It's been a month and a half and its like it never happened. Back to training 6 days a week and 1 or 2 times a day with no pain or discomfort.

Surgery:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2210463/Synthes-Rib-Matrix-Surgery-mend-broken-ribcage-plates-screws.html

Before:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/94/162fyq.jpg/

After:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/9/163rk.jpg/
12/2/12 10:27 AM
PayItForward
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i feel no sympathy for the guy training 6 days a week.

lots of us older guys didn't pop a rib or anything. we just had kids and what not.... i'd love to train 6x a week again.

on a serious note, take time off. take more than a month. you won't lose your skill. two weeks back on the mats your timing will start coming back.
12/2/12 12:07 PM
dustyaguas

temp187989 - There's a new surgery available that significantly reduces recovery time. As a result of a Bjj injury, I had half my rib pushing out against my skin and the other half going in against my lung... I couldn't even breathe correctly much less train.

After the surgery, I was training light after 7 days and within 3 weeks I was 90%. It's been a month and a half and its like it never happened. Back to training 6 days a week and 1 or 2 times a day with no pain or discomfort.

Surgery:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2210463/Synthes-Rib-Matrix-Surgery-mend-broken-ribcage-plates-screws.html

Before:

After:

Holy fucking hell dude. Phone Post
12/2/12 3:29 PM
PayItForward
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/02/12 3:29 PM
i tried posting those pics but it gave red X's.
12/2/12 3:59 PM
mishto chuckles

temp187989 - There's a new surgery available that significantly reduces recovery time. As a result of a Bjj injury, I had half my rib pushing out against my skin and the other half going in against my lung... I couldn't even breathe correctly much less train.

Surgery:

Before:

After:

thats some tasty rib meat you got there..... i dont think that helps me though....fairly certain its not broken, just ripped that catilage and popped out of place

12/2/12 4:05 PM
mishto chuckles

PayItForward - i feel no sympathy for the guy training 6 days a week.

lots of us older guys didn't pop a rib or anything. we just had kids and what not.... i'd love to train 6x a week again.

on a serious note, take time off. take more than a month. you won't lose your skill. two weeks back on the mats your timing will start coming back.

oh yes this indeed makes me feel better.......ill keep the bangin to a minimum and try to keep the dreaded "wife and kids" from being the ultimate broken rib to put a hamper on my training...

yeah ive already mentally accepted that im just going to have to stay out of the gym for 3 weeks at least....im just going to focus on keeping my weight down and make my home on the stationary bike....maybe read some books or get rosetta stone and start learning some portugese.

12/2/12 11:16 PM
PayItForward

mishto,

study video.... i was out for 5 months and when i got back after a few weeks i was good to go... i watched/studied video on youtube of great grapplers and focused on what they were doing.... when i came back i put it into action... the only thing holding me back was cardio and timing... after 2 weeks, the timing started creepign back in and the cardio will come w/ more time.
12/3/12 12:06 AM
mishto chuckles

yeah good point lately ive stopped watching instructional videos and instead im watching competition video and breaking them down....This will give my body time to heal about 3 other nagging injuries i have had bugging me as well

12/3/12 12:11 AM
Jitz93
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My rib popped out of the sternum and it was the worst thing I ever had happened to me. Especially when I had the hiccups. It would keep popping in and out of place for over a week. Pure agony! Phone Post
12/3/12 1:11 AM
Setree
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had my left 3rd rib head dislocate in my back. It took forever to get back in place and heal.

I couldn't even do a pushup for over a year. I just kept training, twice a day, most days. Injuries make learning proper technique easy. Think of them as blessings. ;)
12/3/12 10:29 AM
mishto chuckles

Setree - I had my left 3rd rib head dislocate in my back. It took forever to get back in place and heal.

I couldn't even do a pushup for over a year. I just kept training, twice a day, most days. Injuries make learning proper technique easy. Think of them as blessings. ;)
Ugh yeah same here..... Six months ago I dislocated one in my back... Got so bad with the swelling my arm was tingling all the time.... Tingling went away after some Chiro visits and massages but I feel that rib messed up when I lift and roll Phone Post
12/7/12 11:12 PM
Last Don
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I injured a rib years ago, and kept coming back too early, re-injuring it several times.

It still acts up every so often, and in fact, was killing me during my purple belt promotion. I felt like a chump. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.