UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> You guys need to understand Cesar Gracie better.

12/4/12 2:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mitch Baker
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/04/12 2:06 PM
Terrell is still the worst of all the Cesar Gracie affiliates that you could ever find yourself facing. Most people don't know that when he fully transitioned over to MMA he was the most decorated jiu-jitsu competitor in North America.

Our umbrella of affiliate schools is the home to a ton of both well known and relatively unknown jiu-jitsu and MMA talent.
12/4/12 2:15 PM
GSP'eedInMyMouth
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LilBrock maybe Cesar himself, promoting his own news by trolling me.
12/4/12 2:21 PM
GSP'eedInMyMouth

Mitch Baker - Terrell is still the worst of all the Cesar Gracie affiliates that you could ever find yourself facing. Most people don't know that when he fully transitioned over to MMA he was the most decorated jiu-jitsu competitor in North America.

Our umbrella of affiliate schools is the home to a ton of both well known and relatively unknown jiu-jitsu and MMA talent.

Mitch, can you clear up Cesar's relationship to Nick, Nate, Gil, and Jake. How much coaching and management does he do.

I admittedly have assumed some things and have heard others from reputable sources, but I always thought Cesar was the umbrella manager, coach, spokesperson for all those guys despite them having family management.
12/4/12 2:33 PM
SpiderManBJJ

A major difference between Cesar and other Brazilian coaches is that he has a REALLY loose attitude when it comes to training and business it seems.Cesar never got caught up in tradition and was one of the first BJJ Black Belts to teach NoGI.Back in the day we trained with heel hooks allowed since your first day in class(saw way more shoulder injuries than knee injuries).He never makes guys train a certain style and just lets them figure out what style they want to use.If you compare Terell,Diaz,and Shields,they are all totally different fighters.You wouldn't even think that they ever trained together or had the same instructor. On the business side, you never see big blowouts with guys leaving him because he doesn't sweat his students for opening their own schools.Its looking like you guys are more worried about his affiliations than he ever does.
12/4/12 2:53 PM
Mitch Baker
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/04/12 2:54 PM
GSP'eedInMyMouth - 
Mitch Baker - Terrell is still the worst of all the Cesar Gracie affiliates that you could ever find yourself facing. Most people don't know that when he fully transitioned over to MMA he was the most decorated jiu-jitsu competitor in North America.

Mitch, can you clear up Cesar's relationship to Nick, Nate, Gil, and Jake. How much coaching and management does he do.

I admittedly have assumed some things and have heard others from reputable sources, but I always thought Cesar was the umbrella manager, coach, spokesperson for all those guys despite them having family management.

There's a lot to this but in a nutshell, the Cesar affiliate "scene" is kind of a hub and spoke type thing. Concord is the hub. Thats where all of the coaches that run their own spoke site academies came from (there is at least 1 substantial exception).

Each spoke site has it's own head, Terrell runs NCFA, Nick/Nate run Lodi, Gilbert runs SF, etc... Each of these gyms have their own fighters and basically are run as a stand alone entity.

However, there is fierce loyalty to "the affiliation" by all of the spoke gyms and it comes from the old school, "one flag" mentality and the political nature of team allegiance that a lot of people don't understand and cant really relate to.

As far as Cesar goes, he has a ton of personal time invested in guys like Nick/Nate/Gilber/Jake and he speaks on their behalf quite a bit.

I remember years ago when I was training with Bohlander; Cesar and his guys were like the bad guys from Karate Kid. Seems like thats the stigma we still maintain to a lot of the world. We're not bad guys. We just have a bunch of crazy dudes in charge. : )
12/4/12 5:15 PM
Mitch Baker

We/they will both train at their home gym and "bounce around."

Thats the upside to the affiliation. You start to turn into a big fish in a small pond at your gym? Head out to any of the other gyms for a few days/weeks. We have some of the best and most well known fighters in the world. We also have some of the best guys that nobody has ever heard of.
12/4/12 5:36 PM
jcblass

now if he could have only figured out how to block a haymaker....
12/4/12 5:44 PM
MrMead
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vote Up for Mitch.
12/4/12 7:37 PM
Mitch Baker

Hey, back atchya chief.

I just broke even in the voting game! Thanks.
12/4/12 8:17 PM
Beefy Wellington

I'm in Phone Post
12/4/12 9:23 PM
whoabro

lol @ any pro who doesnt use PEDs Phone Post
12/4/12 9:35 PM
youarewhatiswrong
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, I don't.
12/4/12 10:30 PM
Farthammer
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Concord? Back in the day it was Pleasant Hill. Did it change? Although I guess those are right next to each other...
12/6/12 12:00 AM
GSP'eedInMyMouth

Wow, so it seems even Benson's manager agrees with me, but you can always find some cuckhold on the UG to piss in the wind.
12/6/12 1:50 AM
RondaArousedMe
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
12/7/12 8:00 PM
hellride
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VU from me too Mitch
12/7/12 8:01 PM
Lahzerous
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/7/12 8:01 PM
Mitch Baker

12/7/12 9:10 PM
joshjitsu

GSP'eedInMyMouth - Cesar is probably the most intelligent guy an all of MMA. I'm not even kidding, I'm pretty sure he is a genius. A real life genius.

I've only been around him at tournaments but I've never witnessed someone appear so intelligent while talking. He seems like a doctor, and if he taught at a school it would be ivy league. His english is perfect not because he had some better instruction or longer in the US than other Gracies, it's because he is so smart.

He is hands down the best MMA coach in the world, doing more with less than anyone else out there. I don't see how you can argue that, but I'm sure the UG will. Everyone doubts his team, and their training methods, but they continue to prevail (without PED's EVER).

But the other side of Cesar is his masterful marketing of his guys, and himself, and all without the Lloyd Irvin computer SPAM system.

What Cesar does is RESPONDS to any news about his team immediately and semi-controversially, but calmly and usually respectfully. He draws out his response touching on many points. He makes people think and respond to his responses. He basically takes news and makes it bigger news, OVER AND OVER. Everytime. He never misses this stuff. He even posts repsonses on his own site. It's brilliant and intentional, and could only be done so craftily by someone so smart. Lloyd is trying his best, but he doesn't have 5 guys fighting for UFC belts, so he keeps his mouth/marketing to BJJ.

Some of you might try to talk Cesar down, but if you have never been around him IRL, you have no idea. Even the Shamrock fight. Cesar was there for his team, marketing, and a check. Knew he would lose, probably was glad it was fast.
I think he was douche concerning the Caio Terra situation Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.