UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Side Headlock Choke-Militich vs Newton

12/2/12 8:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jasonbaldy
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Years ago Carlos Newton choked out Pat Militich with a school yard headlock. It looked damn tight and Militich is a tough SOB. Here is a youtube link to similar technique. It looks like it would be difficult to roll into the guy applying the choke. If you expose your neck and are caught, how would you escape?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCUghS9h9Vs
12/2/12 10:38 AM
aaronlapoi
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, that's a tight choke. It was a favorite of Carlson Gracie. If the person sinks it deep and drops their weight on you you're in trouble. You don't have much time to defend. Like most chokes, the best defense is to try and turn your chin early to take pressure off the most vulnerable parts of your neck/throat. Then you start trying to escape or wait for your opponent to readjust his grips if the choke is not working for him.
12/2/12 4:28 PM
shen
1068 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/02/12 4:44 PM

^ Yeah, that is a great, simple choke! I learned it from my teacher & Rico Chiapparelli. Although a tiny bit different than the way Dan shows in the video is I try to get my (R) hip in FRONT of the opponent's (L)shoulder (body position more like a clock choke) then walk straight forward usually bringing the opponent's belly to the ground --Same concept though.

Sometimes people mistakenly think your opponent can "take Your back from there", but that is pretty hard to do.

--BTW Aaron, did Carlson have a specific name for this choke...

For some strange reason I call it the "Bulldog Choke" but I honestly have no idea where that came from. Ever heard it called that?? I think it might have come from Rico C. but obviously I associate the bulldog with CG.

Anyone else heard it called that...???

Just curious.
12/2/12 4:41 PM
JRockwell
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bulldog choke is what I have heard it called as well. Phone Post
12/2/12 4:46 PM
shen
1068 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JRockwell -  Bulldog choke is what I have heard it called as well. Phone Post

Cool, thank you!
12/2/12 5:47 PM
Jasonbaldy
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love these replies, particularly from Sifu Shen. How the hell would I get out if a big ugly dude latches on to my pencil, yet sleek, neck?
12/3/12 3:42 AM
Green Whale
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/03/12 3:49 AM
BRANDON BENDER DOES THIS CHOKE ON EVERYBODY!

It's unbelievably effective, you just need to know how to really do it. He is a sick bjjer and MMA fighter (look him up on sherdog), BJJ black belt, currently spends much of his time training with Lucas Leites and the rest of Checkmat along with teaching out of the UFC gym in Rosemead.

He will get this choke on damn near anybody. I've literally seen him toy with sick purple and brown belts with this choke one time after another after another and so on. You can even make it a rule that he is only allowed to tap you with this one move and there is a damn good chance he gets it even if you know it's the only move he is allowed to do. He even submitted a current UFC CHAMPION with this move in the gym in an intense sparring session.

I used to think it was a fluke move because there are no hooks and it just feels very flukey when you tap out to it but there are a lot of tricks to the move, adjustments with the grips, ways to set it up from transitions. I am a member of MGINACTION.com and now that I have seen Marcelo tap people with this and other choke variations that don't require hooks I'm a total believer. There are a ton of ways to set yourself up so that you can get this choke.

He does it nothing like the way it is shown in this instructional clip that you posted, the end result is the same but the way it's taught doesn't do it justice. If you get someones back, with one hook, both hooks or no hooks you can hit this move, whether your back is on the mat or if you are on top. One of the most basic ways to get it is when your opponent is doing the basic escape removing the first hook while they are facing the ceiling and then trying to put their back to the mat.
12/3/12 4:05 AM
Daniel/CGJJ
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Erik Paulson showed a great variation of this choke in Grappling Magazine once.

He also use the point of his elbow in the opponent's spine to get him to raise his head up, and he totally bridges into the choke, making it like you're almost decapitating the guy.

Cool stuff...
12/3/12 8:33 AM
aaronlapoi
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - 

^ Yeah, that is a great, simple choke! I learned it from my teacher & Rico Chiapparelli. Although a tiny bit different than the way Dan shows in the video is I try to get my (R) hip in FRONT of the opponent's (L)shoulder (body position more like a clock choke) then walk straight forward usually bringing the opponent's belly to the ground --Same concept though.

Sometimes people mistakenly think your opponent can "take Your back from there", but that is pretty hard to do.

--BTW Aaron, did Carlson have a specific name for this choke...

For some strange reason I call it the "Bulldog Choke" but I honestly have no idea where that came from. Ever heard it called that?? I think it might have come from Rico C. but obviously I associate the bulldog with CG.

Anyone else heard it called that...???

Just curious.

Not sure if he had a specific name for it. Like most chokes he would demonstrate, the uke's head would practically explode, and then he'd say. "Strong choke." I love the "Bulldog Choke" though. Let's continue to call it that.
12/3/12 2:45 PM
Steve72
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/03/12 2:47 PM
I believe it's called the "bulldog" choke because there is a (fake) pro-wrestling move from a similar position called a "bulldog".

I have always referred to this as the "nightmare strangle". (IIRC, Newton calls it this in the post-fight interview after the Militich fight...he saus something like "I got him in the nightmare...it felt like a dream"....very eloquent, that Carlos)
12/4/12 6:56 AM
Jasonbaldy

Bulldog choke, I like it. Royce finished Shamrock in their first fight with a similar choke, however, he used the far side arm as the choking arm. The bulldog choke uses nearside arm and it looks like a school yard headlock but much tighter and more difficult to defend than side headlock.

Once the top guy sits through it seems like their base would be compromised
12/4/12 1:09 PM
BearsDownAzzUp
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dan The Wolfman will be please that you used his youtube video!
12/4/12 2:52 PM
Jasonbaldy

Wolfman is a beast!
12/5/12 3:34 AM
cumprido1
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always thought it was the bulldog choke too. It's one of those moves that you're just screwed if you get caught.

Militech was definitely winning that fight too. Big upset when Newton won. Phone Post
12/5/12 3:37 AM
cumprido1
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think MG might be a little more technical/knowledgeable than Dan the wolfman. Phone Post
12/6/12 12:28 PM
mrgoodarmbar
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As far as the escape goes..The beginning would be like a clock choke escape and the 2nd part would be like self defense headlock escape

1. clock choke part - don't let left shoulder get collapsed. Swim for underhook and post on left foot. Get our hips attached to his

2. Bear hug him. Get your hips under him. Bridge and roll him over you. Keep your hips up high and stay on your shoulder blades when you roll keeping his weight up high on you.

3. Arm bar him.

So much of it depends upon that left shoulder and the base in that area.
12/6/12 12:28 PM
mrgoodarmbar
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As far as the escape goes..The beginning would be like a clock choke escape and the 2nd part would be like self defense headlock escape

1. clock choke part - don't let left shoulder get collapsed. Swim for underhook and post on left foot. Get our hips attached to his

2. Bear hug him. Get your hips under him. Bridge and roll him over you. Keep your hips up high and stay on your shoulder blades when you roll keeping his weight up high on you.

3. Arm bar him.

So much of it depends upon that left shoulder and the base in that area.
12/7/12 3:01 PM
leglockfan
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do/teach this from when they are turtled. I call it the Davey Boy Smith (British Bulldog). It's good times, for styling on people.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.