UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Is this a JKD Forum?

12/2/12 8:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you think this is a JKD forum?
If not, why?

Please be honest and specific.
12/2/12 10:13 AM
lloydmtz
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd say it's become more of a training forum using some ideas from JKD. As opposed to being truly focused on the Art that Bruce Lee developed. Add on all the disparaging remarks about dead-patterns and the man himself and I'd say no.

Why log onto a forum about an Art just to bad mouth it?

12/2/12 1:27 PM
Paul Hopkins
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought of this more as a place where people who train or had trained JKD came to shoot the shit.

I hardly expect any earth shattering revelations when stopping by. I like to see Joe's bob ideas canf survival tips, listen to Demi's guitar clips and take all musings in for consideration.

No limitation as limitation Phone Post
12/3/12 7:54 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What Paul said...

12/3/12 10:55 PM
Adam Singer
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paul FTW Phone Post
12/5/12 6:44 PM
ReneH
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If more than anything, this is a place where old friends come to chat and reconnect every now and then. Some do/have done JKD and from time to time discussions relevant to JKD do pop up every now and then.

And yes, what Paul said...
12/6/12 8:49 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/06/12 9:09 AM
At times folks may confuse Jun Fan, the art Bruce used and taught with JKD concept. . Jun Fan was the for runner to JKD concept.. In short Jun Fan was the techniques, and JKD is how the techniques were done.. Now Bruce took techniques from other arts/ the same as MMA takes techniques from other arts/ BJJ, Boxing and so fourth. All the techniques you pick can be done with the concept of JKD in mind.
The concept is not limited to any particular technique or I also agree with the others this place seems to have become a sort of JKD lounge to reconnect, hang out, and shoot the s**t regarding all aspects of MA and life under the umbrella of JKD concept.

Order a drink, ask a question, or blast a comment. It's all good when the forward pressure is positive...
Just my .02
12/8/12 8:11 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"""Order a drink, ask a question, or blast a comment. It's all good when the forward pressure is positive..."""

I'll have a Cosmo... Keep'em comin...

12/13/12 12:59 PM
WidespreadPanic

Edited: 12/13/12 5:54 PM

To me, JKD was originally about 'directness', and 'out of the box thinking'. When BL first developed it he would talk to Jesse Glover (edit: my bad, it was Dan Inosanto) and they'd say 'this or that was JKD'. Going to the 'heart of the problem'. Looking to the original research and not being satisfied with a surface analysis.

I used that idea from the moment I learned about BL back in the 1970s, and researched everything I could find about MA, going into philosophy, theory of war (Clausewitz), principles of kinesiology (building specific muscles), anatomy, studies on reaction time. I looked at classic journals of athletic research, PubMed, you name it. I even went to the Library of Congress, and scoured bookstores in DC, Chinatown and you name it.

It was all about 'looking deeply', top down and bottom up analysis, outside of the box analysis, making weak things strong, studying limitations, methods of training, trying to look at martial arts systems not as their name, but defining them as to what they comprised. I was all about the 'how' not the 'what'.

It's this approach that lead me to a theory and a way to reverse-engineer martial systems, and to totally redefine them based on their range and their limitations. Right away, I realized that you could beat a 'karate' guy by jamming him and doing a takedown. I realized you could (probably) beat a low level judo player by staying outside and boxing him (if I could prevent him from closing).

Thus I developed the idea of 'structuring the opponent' - looking at things that classic boxers, wrestlers, judokas, karatekas did which would give me an instant appraisal of what their talent was and then I could apply my method of attacking their weak points. By weak points I did not mean anatomy, I meant where their system was vulnerable, where they had inadequate training, where they were delusional.

Without the idea of 'interception', of 'looking at a best of all martial systems' that BL did, I do not know if I'd have had the bright idea to 'look deeply', to deconstruct, to find a common framework. I was convinced that BL had some kind of 'rosetta stone' some kind of framework that he was using as a touchstone or a 'decoder' to get his ideas. This was what I was looking for. I knew if I could find the original framework I could re-derive everything he did. His method of breaking techniques down into three parts, the stuff he was trying to hide (after Oakland).

(sorry for the FRAT).

12/13/12 8:21 PM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been enjoying hard cider here in New England.
12/13/12 9:57 PM
Majic Sam
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great post WSP.Bruce said something along the lines of "names/categories/styles,can create fear".Break from local tribal imprints as best you can.

That had to have been Krishnamurti's influence.
12/14/12 12:55 AM
markijkd

No, I think it is an MA forum...

"In General, the mind/body split that we live with, and individually suffer from, today is a direct legacy of this two-step process, i.e., using an occult or somatic insight to dislodge an old system, and then reacting with fear to the very tool that made this possible, dropping it like a hot potato, and erecting a new (rigid) system in place of the old one, a system whose very existence depends on the mystical insight now being rejected."

-Morris Berman in "Coming To Our Senses." predictable pattern of heresy, orthodoxy, then new heresy

M...
12/14/12 11:16 PM
Majic Sam
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Please,expand...I want to get the scope.I reject category.Great post,I think...
12/15/12 12:00 AM
lloydmtz
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice post markijkd.
12/15/12 9:40 AM
Joe Maffei

markijkd - No, I think it is an MA forum...

"In General, the mind/body split that we live with, and individually suffer from, today is a direct legacy of this two-step process, i.e., using an occult or somatic insight to dislodge an old system, and then reacting with fear to the very tool that made this possible, dropping it like a hot potato, and erecting a new (rigid) system in place of the old one, a system whose very existence depends on the mystical insight now being rejected."

-Morris Berman in "Coming To Our Senses." predictable pattern of heresy, orthodoxy, then new heresy

M...

Markjkd, fare enough, so as with my OP, if this is not a JKD forum, then what is a JKD forum?

John how long will you be in town???
12/17/12 12:48 AM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Till July. Would love to grab a beer or cider. LA and NYC do have better gyms, but New England is pretty tough to beat for drink:)
12/17/12 8:29 AM
Joe Maffei

Awesome!!!....lets hook up man. We can eat, drink, train, hang...what ever.....
hear are my talking points....heheheheh we can comm directly.
mafjkdimdc@aol.com
12/18/12 1:30 AM
markijkd

OK,

To make a JKD Forum 101:

(1) Recognize its existence...lol...
(2) Define its different interpretations
(3) Recognize its different interpretations
(4) Discuss its different interpretations
(5) Laugh at its different interpretations
(6) Deny its existence...lol...
12/18/12 9:01 AM
Joe Maffei

markijkd - OK,

To make a JKD Forum 101:

(1) Recognize its existence...lol...
(2) Define its different interpretations
(3) Recognize its different interpretations
(4) Discuss its different interpretations
(5) Laugh at its different interpretations
(6) Deny its existence...lol...

Not the US Gov 101......LOL!!!

This forum...;-)
12/18/12 10:07 PM
John Frankl

Joe,

Email sent. I'm much nicer and much uglier off line:)
12/23/12 7:17 AM
WidespreadPanic

lloydmtz - I'd say it's become more of a training forum using some ideas from JKD. As opposed to being truly focused on the Art that Bruce Lee developed. Add on all the disparaging remarks about dead-patterns and the man himself and I'd say no.

Why log onto a forum about an Art just to bad mouth it?

I feel great sorrow for any training forum where some posters are not (constructively, destructively) tearing it down.

You must tear down the static, the dead wood. You must expose the art, weaken its precepts by discussion - only then can it build back up into something better.

Of course one should not just make statements - 'BL was just a movie actor'.

A long discussion about Bleeker's stuff and the use of PEDs and how it might 'show' in events that went down? Why not? 

$0.02

12/25/12 1:32 PM
lloydmtz

I think Burton Richardson's JKD forum is more of what I'd expect a JKD forum to be.
12/27/12 8:53 AM
Joe Maffei

lloydmtz - I think Burton Richardson's JKD forum is more of what I'd expect a JKD forum to be.

Why?
12/27/12 9:53 AM
lloydmtz

Looks like they closed it down.

Nevermind.
12/31/12 12:13 AM
markijkd

I suggest that in order to be a valid JKD Forum you must recognize: Bruce Lee

(1) Wing Chun
(2) Jun Fan Gung Fu
(3) Early Stage JKD
(4) Latter Stage JKD (primarily TWJKD)
(5) JKD Concepts (Dan Inosanto Unified Martial Arts)
(6) Modern MMA and RBSD

You can ask all of the proponents to define them as a starting point. Then we can discuss common denominators and differences.

M...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.