UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How Dan McGuane got banned from MMA

12/2/12 12:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BenFowlkes
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello again, UG'ers. I'm sure you all heard the story of light heavyweight Dan McGuane, who was signed for a fight at Bellator 81 only to be removed once it was revealed that he'd been convicted of involuntary manslaughter for the beating death of Kelly Proctor in 2005. Now, in a new story on MMA Junkie, we tell the story of how and why McGuane tried to become a professional fighter after his release from prison, and how it all fell apart.

Link: http://mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/the-banning-of-dan-mcguane

Thanks for reading.

12/2/12 1:26 PM
sfish4862
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very good read. I was wondering why he was not charged with something more that involuntary manslaughter after reading the specifics of the crime. Now I see he was charged with murder 1 but the charges were reduced to involuntary manslaughter after there was a discrepancy with the autopsy results. This guy was giving too many excuses in the article. He seems like scum.
12/2/12 1:41 PM
epwar
645 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OH NOES!!!  There are consequences for bad decisions people make! Film at 11.

12/2/12 1:54 PM
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont know what happened, one side is gonna say one thing and the other another. Dont knwo if the kid spit on them or if they are just jerks.

He should be happy he is alive and free to sleep in his own bed, fuck girls, eat what he wants, shit on his own toilet etc.

That doesnt mean he gets to fight in an org.

and come on Bellator stop playing like because you were signing guys you forgot about this or it never got to Bjorn. this isnt you signed a guy and didnt do a background check and he slipped through the cracks. They told you about this and you didnt think anyone would care about some guy fighting on a prelim.

Man up, you knew but you didnt think anyone would care.

Anyway this guy seems like a P.O.S and I'm glad he aint ever gonna get to fight for a living.

People make mistakes, I've made plenty but there are 3 things you cant come back from, you cant make up for.

Murder
Rape
hurting/molesting a child

No amount of time served, no amount of saying sorry, giving money away, doing charity etc can absolve you from those crimes.
12/2/12 1:57 PM
rowil

^^
I agree. Nobody's going to miss that person in MMA.
12/2/12 2:10 PM
TheComedian

This guy is lucky beyond all belief that he is allowed to walk the streets with decent humans. I hear a lot of people repeating the "he made a mistake" line and it just amazes me how dense people are.

This gentleman decided, for whatever internal and external reasons, to beat a guy REALLY REALLY BADLY along with someone else. You do something like without an EXTREMELY good reason and you are proving that you are someone who should not be around the rest of us. The fact that it resulted in the guys death really cinches it.

This guy doesn't have a right to be employed. He doesn't have a right to anyone's sympathy. He is not entitled to a good life.

Jail time does not wipe the slate clean with humanity and absolve you of your wrongs. It just means the cops won't pursue you any further for that specific event.

He made his decision and he will have to live with it for the rest of HIS life...something that his VICTIM cannot do.
12/2/12 2:14 PM
Chris27

Wu Massacre - ok and he isnt guilty of any of those 3 things, if he was i would completely agree, im actually a rare mix of extremely separated beliefs and think anyone guilty of those 3 crimes should receive a painful unpleasant death penalty unless there is a damn good reason they should get prison instead

He committed murder, dont care if the charge got knocked down to manslaughter they beat that kid to death, thats murder imo.

he took another persons life, it wasnt self defense or an accident.

12/2/12 2:19 PM
Chris27

Wu Massacre - google search kelly proctor autopsy. it was a big part of the case. the guy originally said his brain swelled because they beat him but then he admitted he made mistakes and it was because of trauma to the brain stem. he might have simply fallen wrong after a scuffle like their story suggests. none of us were there. and if its true that he did spit at them first, which is hard to believe, they would not be responsible for anything, but that is very unlikely. no matter what happened it is a sad story.

So if you spit on someone thats a license to murder? I agree spitting on someone is grimy as fuck but spitting on someone doesnt give you permission to kill that person.

What world do you live in?
12/2/12 2:19 PM
Motivated Penn
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/02/12 2:20 PM

He killed some person with his fists. I don't care if he fights in small circuits, that's always up to the promoter, but I don't want to see him in the UFC or anything I watch.

Show me a dude who has a reputation for being a bully, has a temper "right up there", and claims he never goes out looking for fights, yet gets in many of them, and I will show you a guy who goes out looking for fights.

Of course, he has been through the justice system, he's not a lost cause or anything, but after such a sentencing, he needs to find other work than fighting.

12/2/12 2:27 PM
Kirik
1600 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

tttt

12/2/12 2:41 PM
SkooterFanForLife
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My 2 year old cousin spit on me so I beat him to death. Justified IMO
12/2/12 2:48 PM
Loser Born Natural
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good to see you posting here Ben!
Did they catch the decorated deer?
Good read. Phone Post
12/2/12 2:56 PM
Chris27

SkooterFanForLife - My 2 year old cousin spit on me so I beat him to death. Justified IMO

LOL.

12/2/12 2:58 PM
I AM A MOFO
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's what he gets for being a coward and jumping a guy half his size with the help of another guy his own size. Somebody should ban this lying piece of shit and his coward brother from life with a couple 3" sabot slugs, imo.

12/2/12 3:12 PM
heatmeiser
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Served his time IMO Phone Post
12/2/12 3:42 PM
gambatte

Edited: 12/02/12 4:16 PM
My gut reaction: Good riddance don't come back.

After reading this article questions about rehabilitation and repentance make it a little more difficult to condemn him... But to set a precedent he needs to be banned from the sport. It may not be fair to him, but we DON'T want MMA getting the reputation as a sport of violent bullies and murderers.

More GSP and less Kimbo Slice if this sport wants legitimacy.

Wu- you don't know shit about law. Spitting is battery, not assault, and there is no 'fighting words' defense (1). Saying 'fuck you, pussy" to someone is not assault. Saying "fuck you pussy, I'm going to beat your ass" IS assault. Keep studying junior. I didn't even major in law.<br /><br />"The court ruled that no mere epithet or language, however violent or offensive is sufficient provocation for homicide. "<br />(1)(http://www.lawnix.com/cases/freddo-state-tn.html)
12/2/12 7:43 PM
CindyO

BenFowlkes - 

Hello again, UG'ers. I'm sure you all heard the story of light heavyweight Dan McGuane, who was signed for a fight at Bellator 81 only to be removed once it was revealed that he'd been convicted of involuntary manslaughter for the beating death of Kelly Proctor in 2005. Now, in a new story on MMA Junkie, we tell the story of how and why McGuane tried to become a professional fighter after his release from prison, and how it all fell apart.

Thanks for reading.

He wasn't removed because it was revealed he was a convicted for killing that kid because Bellator knew about it and they signed him anyway. He was only clipped AFTER people raised hell about it.

Cindy

12/2/12 7:50 PM
Chris27

CindyO - 
BenFowlkes - 

Thanks for reading.

He wasn't removed because it was revealed he was a convicted for killing that kid because Bellator knew about it and they signed him anyway. He was only clipped AFTER people raised hell about it.

Cindy

Yeah, I guess you could say once it was revealed to the general public he was removed, Bellator absolutely knew about it but they didnt think anyone would care about some no name guy fighting on a prelim.

12/2/12 8:05 PM
CindyO

NOT knowing and signing the guy is one thing. Knowing what he did and bringing him onboard is disgusting, IMO.

Cindy

12/2/12 8:07 PM
Seats Taken
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very well written. Good read. Phone Post
12/2/12 10:32 PM
UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I read the article just now, great piece.  I do feel bad for the guy, he served his time and now people won't let him move on with his life.  How many platinum selling musicians have served time for similar crimes and you don't hear people out bitching about it.

Fuck if you couldn't be a pro athlete after commiting a violent crime there wouldn't be a Cincinatti Bengals.

12/2/12 10:45 PM
epwar
645 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360 - 

I read the article just now, great piece.  I do feel bad for the guy, he served his time and now people won't let him move on with his life.  How many platinum selling musicians have served time for similar crimes and you don't hear people out bitching about it.

Fuck if you couldn't be a pro athlete after commiting a violent crime there wouldn't be a Cincinatti Bengals.

LOL wut?  How many platinum selling musicians have stomped a dude to death?

12/2/12 11:12 PM
alkysmurf
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hate it when society is so ridiculous, a judge and jury trial decided this man was guilty of a crime and he served what in their eyes weighed with evidence to be a fair sentence. He should be allowed to do whatever the fuck he wants.

Yet you guys want to take this guy who has nothing to loose anymore, and deny him the ability to do what he loves and puts food on his table.

Yeah maybe he'll do the right thing and move beyond easy/fast/ illegal means to make a living, but something like 85% of guys don't. And those guys are the fucking scary ones because now in their minds they've been forced into a criminal lifestyle, and the resent you for it. Phone Post
12/2/12 11:36 PM
MattyECB
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alkysmurf -  I hate it when society is so ridiculous, a judge and jury trial decided this man was guilty of a crime and he served what in their eyes weighed with evidence to be a fair sentence. He should be allowed to do whatever the fuck he wants.

Yet you guys want to take this guy who has nothing to loose anymore, and deny him the ability to do what he loves and puts food on his table.

Yeah maybe he'll do the right thing and move beyond easy/fast/ illegal means to make a living, but something like 85% of guys don't. And those guys are the fucking scary ones because now in their minds they've been forced into a criminal lifestyle, and the resent you for it. Phone Post

The fuck are you talking about, he served his crime and I agree he shouldn't be harassed, but naturally people are going to judge the crime.

It's nowhere near as bad, but if a guy murdered a family in the first degree and got out of jail 30 years later, I'd still be pretty fucking uneasy around that guy.

Again, nowhere near the same crime, but just because a man serves his sentence doesn't mean people aren't entitled to an opinion on him. I was as happy as everyone else that Vick replaced that fuckball Cobb after Clay Matthews rode him into the dirt, but that doesn't mean I'm going to forget the rape stands and electrical torture...

I have a dog after all lol
12/2/12 11:36 PM
alkysmurf
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And the intelligent reply says everything. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.