UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Sci-fi recommendation for you Bookground

12/2/12 3:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
amorphous
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is a trilogy of books by TC McCarthy about a war in the future called the subterene war (since much of the war is fought underground). In the first book you know little about the conflict but you gradually learn more. Shit really hits the fan. Since all of the books are each written in the first-person perspective with each book being about a different combatant in the war each book really gets you inside the character's head.

There are all kinds of badass futuristic yet plausible weapons. The second book in particular is my favorite, written from the perspective of a genetically modified female soldier (aka "Betties") named Catherine. They are grown in vats and are basically 16 year old girls. Except they are bred for combat and indoctrinated by the US gov to believe killing is holy. They have no fear and don't feel pain. Yet, they are still somewhat human and they begin to wonder what else is out there.

The author does an amazing job of depicting their thoughts. They are fucking psychotic/hyperviolent yet naive at the same time. You'll find yourself empathizing with the characters as they examine issues of god, faith, war, life despite the fact they commit atrocities.

I will warn though that these books are not for everyone. The author does not inject any light whatsoever into these books and does not flinch from depicting the harsh savagery of war. Despite how good the books war, it was somewhat of a relief to be finished. I read all three back-to-back and I really enjoyed their depth. The conclusion to it all is quite chilling.

Here is a link to the first book :

http://www.amazon.com/Germline-The-Subterrene-T-C-McCarthy/dp/031612818X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354480067&sr=8-1&keywords=germline
12/2/12 4:46 PM
j-money
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks cool. I've been looking for some good sci-fi to read, so I can take a break from fantasy. Thanks.
12/18/12 1:13 PM
Pythagorus112358
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From the Corner of His Eye by Dean Koonz

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.