UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Javi Vazquez and Renato Laranja on Inside BJJ

12/3/12 12:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tf1
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Join Tim as he sits down with Javier Vazquez to talk about the state of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Javier calls out all 155lb championship level competitors to compete against him in a four man bracket at Gracie Nationals 2013. Renato Laranja calls in to accept the challenge. Later, Tim talks to Chris Chavez about setting up a 10th Planet affiliate and competing in Mexico as well as Chris’ latest MMA fight.

http://www.insidebjj.com/2012/12/02/54-javier-vasquez-renato-laranja-chris-chavez/

12/3/12 1:01 AM
checkuroil
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Renatch ftw Phone Post
12/3/12 3:11 AM
JZilla
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think world champs not entering has nothing to do with having balls
On the grand scale the Gracie nationals are small time and competing for minimal prestige and publicity is not enticing - especially when one of the promoters wants you to carry the credibility of a whole style on their shoulders
How many top competitors enter other small tournaments eg Naga. Grapplers Quest seems to get some big names but they also have the pro division and pay money
Also, Javier has already made his excuse for losing /not winning ie I'm old and if you don't tap me in 15mins I would have tapped you eventually. The excuse he made for ryron is nonsense, given he knowingly entered a time limited match Phone Post
12/3/12 4:15 AM
kying418
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm listening now.

Yeah, either Javi is delusional or he is trolling.

He wants world champs at 155 lbs and under to compete against him in a submissions match.

If he actually tries to go for submissions with them (and not stall and be defensive like Ryron was), he will be tapped by all of them- Rafa, Cobrinha, Leandro Lo, etc.

12/3/12 6:50 AM
Hunter V
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JZilla -  I think world champs not entering has nothing to do with having balls
On the grand scale the Gracie nationals are small time and competing for minimal prestige and publicity is not enticing - especially when one of the promoters wants you to carry the credibility of a whole style on their shoulders
How many top competitors enter other small tournaments eg Naga. Grapplers Quest seems to get some big names but they also have the pro division and pay money
Also, Javier has already made his excuse for losing /not winning ie I'm old and if you don't tap me in 15mins I would have tapped you eventually. The excuse he made for ryron is nonsense, given he knowingly entered a time limited match Phone Post

correct
12/3/12 3:29 PM
Jivetkr
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

renato is the best..."everyone knows I have combination skin & Ive been dealing with it my whole life"
12/3/12 9:59 PM
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kying418 - I'm listening now.

Yeah, either Javi is delusional or he is trolling.

He wants world champs at 155 lbs and under to compete against him in a submissions match.

If he actually tries to go for submissions with them (and not stall and be defensive like Ryron was), he will be tapped by all of them- Rafa, Cobrinha, Leandro Lo, etc.

javi's good,he subbed jeff glover 2 times and had him in a triangle the third time when time ran out.

javi is a carlson guy thats  starting to understand the other side of gjj.maybe rafa taps him ,but cobrinha,i would pay to see that

12/4/12 12:48 AM
checkuroil
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Javi had good points. It's not like these top guys are busy competing for money. It would be another title for them. Phone Post
12/4/12 3:30 AM
CompanyBlue

Javi would beat Cobrinha under IBJJF rules imo, gi or no gi.
12/4/12 3:35 AM
crotchshot
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't like Javi's view on the Galvao vs Ryron match. He mentioned by the end of 20 minutes Ryron was fresher and was going to win if there was more time.

Galvao used up his gas and was aggressive. Ryron still had a full tank after 20 minutes. Who used there energy properly for a 20 minute match? What was Ryron saving his energy for?

Besides, if there was no time limit, Galvao would've rolled differently.
12/4/12 3:42 AM
crotchshot
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More top guys would probably do these matches if Ryron, Rener, and now Javi weren't making it so obvious that they have an agenda to promote their style rather than just set up a cool submission only match and congratulate each other after a tough fight.

Instead, after the Ryron vs Galvao match, they start claiming victory from a draw.

Im a pruple belt and leagues behind my black belt instructor but if I just went full defensive mode, I may be able to hold him off for 10-15 mins. T rex' and guarding your neck isn't that difficult.
12/4/12 4:07 AM
dokomoy

CompanyBlue - Javi would beat Cobrinha under IBJJF rules imo, gi or no gi.

You think Javi is the second(or maybe third) best featherweight in the world? Based on what?
12/4/12 1:35 PM
ninja316
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think that Javi would do extremely well competing with the top guys out there today. He may have quit doing MMA and focuses on his school and the gracie worlds and what not. But he could be a force to be reckoned with in any tournament. His wrestling has always been amazing. And the contrast in having been able to train in the Carlson style and the Helio style of BJJ is going to make him hard to deal with. Wrestling, smashing top game, amazing submission oriented scrambles, great technical skill and understanding. Who do you really think would give him an extremely hard time? Phone Post
12/5/12 4:43 AM
CompanyBlue

dokomoy - 
CompanyBlue - Javi would beat Cobrinha under IBJJF rules imo, gi or no gi.

You think Javi is the second(or maybe third) best featherweight in the world? Based on what?

I think he could beat him. Not 9 out of 10 but I think at the minimum half of the time. Javier doesn't have the explosiveness he used to after so many knee surgeries but he would be the only one getting takedowns. Not saying he taps corbrinha but he would out point him. Javier has the fast transitions and takedowns, I think he wins, he would have a harder time with JT Torres. Remember before Javier got all Helio mindset he was a stud on the tournament scene and was mega carlson gracie style training with great vale tudo fighters and also great sport guys, his record proves it even though he didnt do countless matches at black but his track record shows it, he was able to go with anybody out there and can absolutely play the ibjjf game.
12/6/12 12:59 AM
CompanyBlue

Javi scared?

Javi tore his acl in the opening seconds of an mma fight with Alberto Crane and was unable to stand. He gutted out the injury for all three rounds, unable to stand, and almost took the decision. He has a long history performing well in mma and gi Bjj.

And yet javi is scared of entering the mundials? Sure buddy.

They call him Showtime for a reason, flashy, mad transitions and creativity. He is gjj now married to Rose but He can roll any style.
12/6/12 4:17 AM
kying418
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I gotta agree with HolyAvengerP5 on this one.

For everyone who says the elite blackbelts are afraid of competing in their submissions only tournaments, the same can be said for them- as they don't compete in the IBJJF tournaments.

Sure there may be more stalling in IBJJF tournaments, but as a whole, I do believe the best BJJ competitors will win either tournaments.

Someone like Marcelo, Rafa Mendes, Roger Gracie, etc, will win no matter what rule set there are.

Javi is/was a very good bjj grappler. However, there is a world of difference between a very good one, and a elite level grappler that consistently win multiple Wold Championships (note: I'm not talking about guys that win once. I'm talking about the elite few, that have won a handful of BB Adult World Championships)

He would get beat at least 9/10 times by someone like Cobrinha, I don't care what rules they are using.
12/6/12 2:00 PM
joshjitsu

I want to like Javier but damn... He is drinking the Torrance Academy kool aid BAD!

They won't let people jump guard at tournaments because they would get slammed in the street, but they have no problem with being side mounted, mounted or back mounted for 15+ minutes?? Pretty sure if you're in those spots in the street you would get the shit beat out of you. He actually acts as if Ryron was the victor against Galvao!!

The whole GA philosophy is so completely warped it truly boggles my mind that anyone buys into it. That said, I do really like Ryron, he is a extremely nice person, I just don't agree with them.
12/6/12 2:20 PM
kying418

Nice point joshjitsu.

How come nobody from Gracie Torrance side (that I can remember) has addressed the fact that it is not safe to just play defensive and lie around in a self defense situation?

I wasnt aware that in a street fight, you have the luxury of playing defensive for 20 minutes, wear your opponent out, and then attack.

12/6/12 3:19 PM
joshjitsu

kying418 - Nice point joshjitsu.

How come nobody from Gracie Torrance side (that I can remember) has addressed the fact that it is not safe to just play defensive and lie around in a self defense situation?

I wasnt aware that in a street fight, you have the luxury of playing defensive for 20 minutes, wear your opponent out, and then attack.

They are just cornering their place in the BJJ market.

Lets look at them

*They claim their style is made for the streets!
*Oh but keep it playful !
* by the way, sport bjj sucks because its a sport and not real!

I just don't get it Phone Post
12/6/12 9:44 PM
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HolyAvengerP5 - 
joshjitsu - I want to like Javier but damn... He is drinking the Torrance Academy kool aid BAD!

They won't let people jump guard at tournaments because they would get slammed in the street, but they have no problem with being side mounted, mounted or back mounted for 15+ minutes?? Pretty sure if you're in those spots in the street you would get the shit beat out of you. He actually acts as if Ryron was the victor against Galvao!!

The whole GA philosophy is so completely warped it truly boggles my mind that anyone buys into it. That said, I do really like Ryron, he is a extremely nice person, I just don't agree with them.

^ yeah, it is beginning to be like the kung fu death grip

gjj works for the streets better than bjj

ok, go out and have street fights an prove it

oh no, that is illegal.

yes javi is drinking the kool aid ,after he drank from the carlson well.keep it playful is meant for a long bjj life.

they dont teach you to lay dn for 15 mins ,they teach you to move at the rightr time ,not on the clock.

we have a new member at gta that post on this board and trained w/ alliance for yrs.give him a 1yr or so and maybe he can explain what the difference is.javi knows.

12/6/12 10:20 PM

you dont come off as a dick,just the other side of the coin.i dont think you will ever hear  a gta advanced blue belt say gjj is better,you moght hear rener project it but i dont think i ever heard him come out and say it.

12/7/12 8:20 AM
joshjitsu

12 - 
HolyAvengerP5 - 
joshjitsu - I want to like Javier but damn... He is drinking the Torrance Academy kool aid BAD!

^ yeah, it is beginning to be like the kung fu death grip

gjj works for the streets better than bjj

ok, go out and have street fights an prove it

oh no, that is illegal.

yes javi is drinking the kool aid ,after he drank from the carlson well.keep it playful is meant for a long bjj life.

they dont teach you to lay dn for 15 mins ,they teach you to move at the rightr time ,not on the clock.

we have a new member at gta that post on this board and trained w/ alliance for yrs.give him a 1yr or so and maybe he can explain what the difference is.javi knows.

Nah, I'm pretty sure Ryron was promoting keeping it playful before and during Metamoris.

They may not teach you to lay for 15 minutes but, I have heard them say not to have any urgency to escape from bad positions. When if this was Jiu Jitsu for the real world, you would want to escape and get away as quickly as possible.

All that said, I would love to spend a week at GTA and work on defense and escapes.
12/7/12 8:21 AM
joshjitsu

Let me clarify again and state I respect their Jiu Jitsu and them as people. I just disagree with their outlook on the sport.
12/7/12 5:43 PM
Wings&Things
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isn't Javi married to Rose Gracie? Thus making him Rorion's son-in-law? Isn't Rose in charge of the Gracie Nationals? That would probably explain his view.
12/7/12 9:43 PM

Wings&Things - Isn't Javi married to Rose Gracie? Thus making him Rorion's son-in-law? Isn't Rose in charge of the Gracie Nationals? That would probably explain his view.

its rose's tournie and give javi some respect.he has his own views after 15 yr s of bjj.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.