UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dominick Cruz Has 2nd ACL Surgery, Out 6-9 Months

12/3/12 1:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/ufc-champ-dominick-cruzs-return-pushed-back-by-second-acl-surgery

Dominick Cruz underwent another major knee surgery this past week, and it'll likely further delay his return to the octagon.

Trainer Eric Del Fierro today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that Cruz's anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) was replaced after his body rejected one from a cadaver.

The UFC bantamweight champion is in Los Angeles today to meet with a doctor who will give him a timeline for his return, DelFierro said, though he estimated it could set the fighter back another six to nine months.

Cruz (19-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) underwent corrective surgery in June after tearing his ACL in preparation for a rematch with Urijah Faber, who coached opposite him on "The Ultimate Fighter 15." The two were scheduled to meet at UFC 148 on July 2, but Cruz was forced out of the fight, and Renan Barao went on to beat Faber to claim an interim title at UFC 149.

Del Fierro said Cruz's ACL was replaced, as well as his MCL, which had been torn prior to a fight with Charlie Valencia in 2008.

Following several months of recovery, the MCL held while the ACL did not.

"He's pissed and disappointed," Del Fierro said. "But I think he's doing better now. Once he talked to the doctor and found out what was going on, he felt much better."

The trainer said Cruz's training was advancing with the approval of his doctor and physical therapist, but he had not been cleared to prepare for a fight.
12/3/12 1:41 PM
Chris27

Looks like he will be out most of 2013, possibly making his return 4th quarter of 2013.

This guarantees Mayday/Barao interim title fight.
12/3/12 1:45 PM
Chris27

By the time he returns he will have been out 2 years.

12/3/12 1:48 PM
JayBRO

Why the HELL did he go the cadaver route????? That is absolutely ridiculous for an athlete who's career depends on the outcome of this surgery to choose an option so outdated that most surgeons don't even offer it anymore.

(Yes I've had my ACL completely torn and rebuilt... Via patellar tendon) Phone Post
12/3/12 1:56 PM
repseatown

Geeez, what bad luck for the Dom! For a guy that relies so much on movement.....this might be the end at being on top. He will always be competitive, just not sure he'll stay on top!
12/3/12 1:56 PM
Ramon Maroni

LilBrockonmychest - 
JayBRO -  Why the HELL did he go the cadaver route????? That is absolutely ridiculous for an athlete who's career depends on the outcome of this surgery to choose an option so outdated that most surgeons don't even offer it anymore.

(Yes I've had my ACL completely torn and rebuilt... Via patellar tendon) Phone Post

Because they want to get a black guys ligaments/tendons to get that extra advantage.  He should see if he can get Jovan Belcher's.  He'd be flying around the Octagon in 6 months.

your enjoy ur banning douche
12/3/12 1:59 PM
DamnHenderson
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ramon Maroni -
LilBrockonmychest - 
JayBRO -  Why the HELL did he go the cadaver route????? That is absolutely ridiculous for an athlete who's career depends on the outcome of this surgery to choose an option so outdated that most surgeons don't even offer it anymore.

Because they want to get a black guys ligaments/tendons to get that extra advantage.  He should see if he can get Jovan Belcher's.  He'd be flying around the Octagon in 6 months.

I thought it was funny. No ban. Phone Post
12/3/12 2:00 PM
caseharts
476 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly he should relinquish the title. I don't want to see barao holding a fake belt for a year.

He can fight for the number one cintendership when he returns Phone Post
12/3/12 2:01 PM
Tat2tillidie
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's sad to hear ... Guy can't get a break ... TTT for a full and speedy recovery ... Phone Post
12/3/12 2:03 PM
Chris27

I think they will strip Cruz. For guys like GSP or Silva, big stars who have long running defenses its bad for business stripping them because those records help sell fights, SIlva with 10 defenses or whatever helps them so they wont strip GSP or Silva or Jones.

Cruz isnt a star so I think they would strip him to keep the div moving. Suck for Barao cause he will never be recognized as the BW champ of the world until he beats the BW champ of the world Dom Cruz.

But I think they will move ahead with Barao/mayday for the interim title and see how Dom is recovering, by the second defense of the interim belt they will see how Dom is doing and then decide if they want to make it the real belt or just keep it the interim one.

12/3/12 2:05 PM
Ramon Maroni

LilBrockonmychest - 
Ramon Maroni - 
LilBrockonmychest - 

Having a rough day?

nope my day is going just fine

you guys honestly think its ok to make light of a murder/suicide?
12/3/12 2:06 PM
caseharts
476 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caseharts - Honestly he should relinquish the title. I don't want to see barao holding a fake belt for a year.

And I consider my self a supporter of Cruz usually. And hope he comes back strong. Phone Post
12/3/12 2:09 PM
caseharts

Willy the Coyote -
caseharts - 
caseharts - Honestly he should relinquish the title. I don't want to see barao holding a fake belt for a year.

And I consider my self a supporter of Cruz usually. And hope he comes back strong. Phone Post

I agree with you. It's not like he was a long reigning champ who was the face of the division. With the severity and length of the injury, it would be nice to see him in the cage once before fighting for the title again. Just to see how he looks.
This injury seems much worse a tuneup fight would really help before a title fight. Gsp is just a badass and can do what he did Phone Post
12/3/12 2:10 PM
disbeliever
453 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Hope he recovers quickly and well!
12/3/12 2:11 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
573 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Geeze. Think they'll just promote Barao? Phone Post
12/3/12 2:11 PM
32Hunter
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/03/12 2:16 PM
man that is a rough s t y l e first Cruz, then Browne ,then Cruz again.
12/3/12 2:16 PM
32Hunter
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wtf? ^it wont let me type " in my last post.
12/3/12 2:16 PM
32Hunter

testing--

S t y l e .
12/3/12 2:17 PM
32Hunter

lol.
12/3/12 2:18 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bet Faber gets a title shot within 2 fights.

12/3/12 2:23 PM
Card
2253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man... hope he comes back strong. That's rough.

12/3/12 2:24 PM
ZombieAutoPilot

Give barao the title and cruz get interim. Then when he is back to fighting shape he can fight whoever is the champ at that time Phone Post
12/3/12 2:28 PM
Jaybrone
523 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caseharts -

He shouldn't have to fight anyone but the current champ he should lose his title but be guaranteed a shot upon return. Barao should be able to defend the belt a couple times in between. Phone Post
12/3/12 2:32 PM
UGCTT_SMASHED BY A BIG RIG!
859 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They'll probably strip Dom of the title and just hand it to Faber. He wouldn't even need to fight for it.

12/3/12 2:38 PM
TheGoldenRule
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

damn

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.