UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Dominick Cruz Has 2nd ACL Surgery, Out 6-9 Months

12/3/12 4:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Boofhead3
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn im sure that means that the interim title will have to be defended. I just hope they have enough sense not to give it to Fabrr Phone Post
12/3/12 6:54 PM
JustPeed
178 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barao absolutely needs to fight now and defend the interim title.

I wonder if the UFC will start implementing a clause where if a champion is unable to defend for a certain amount of time, the interim champ becomes the official champ after a interim title defense. Don't know how I would feel about champs getting stripped of titles cause of injury but if they are out for almost a year and a half it may need to be done. #1 contender status for them upon return though. Phone Post
12/3/12 6:55 PM
Chaz Johnson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cruz drives a Honda he seems to be pretty poor. Out of all champions I'd figure he's the least loaded. Phone Post
12/3/12 6:59 PM
Ludelow

herwil10 - They should strip him at this point. They did it with Mir when he was out for an extended period of time. Make Barao the undisputed champion like they did with Arlovski when Mir got hurt and just have Cruz get an immediate title shot against whomever the champ is when he comes back.

12/3/12 7:05 PM
Chaz Johnson

Cruz drives a Honda he seems to be pretty poor. Out of all champions I'd figure he's the least loaded. Phone Post
12/3/12 7:08 PM
TheOne
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not this again, Cruz is not only one of the whiniest fighters, he's also boring and always injured. Sucks that hes out for between 6 and 9 months but sucks even more I wont be seeing him getting beaten up anytime soon.
12/3/12 7:16 PM
Chaz Johnson

I find his style exciting and effective he just needs more power than people will not complain. His five rounders have been against the best little guys and he won while staying active. Phone Post
12/3/12 7:37 PM
andyman011

Chaz Johnson - I find his style exciting and effective he just needs more power than people will not complain. His five rounders have been against the best little guys and he won while staying active. Phone Post
Yeah I love the part where he leaned to the left and ducked. Phone Post
12/3/12 10:47 PM
aarick161

I'm thinking no defenses in 9 months - interim belt. No defenses in 18 months - strip the champion. In my mind a champion should fight 3 times a year, or at the bare minimum twice.
12/3/12 11:11 PM
stevekt
466 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dislike Cruz but this really sucks. I hope he gets well soon.
12/4/12 8:51 AM
Shakwon
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JayBRO - Why the HELL did he go the cadaver route????? That is absolutely ridiculous for an athlete who's career depends on the outcome of this surgery to choose an option so outdated that most surgeons don't even offer it anymore.

(Yes I've had my ACL completely torn and rebuilt... Via patellar tendon) Phone Post
I just got ACL surgery 7 months ago and literally all doctors offer cadaver grafts. I've known a ton of people who went the cadaver route, Cruz is the first person I've heard of whose body rejected the graft Phone Post
12/4/12 11:06 AM
robbie380
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JayBRO -  Why the HELL did he go the cadaver route????? That is absolutely ridiculous for an athlete who's career depends on the outcome of this surgery to choose an option so outdated that most surgeons don't even offer it anymore.

(Yes I've had my ACL completely torn and rebuilt... Via patellar tendon) Phone Post

I don't understand this either.  He really should get a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinion from some other doctors.  This doc sounds like a fool.  People sometimes forget that doctors can be wrong and you gotta get multiple opinions on things.  

12/4/12 11:08 AM
scrapdo
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JayBRO - Why the HELL did he go the cadaver route????? That is absolutely ridiculous for an athlete who's career depends on the outcome of this surgery to choose an option so outdated that most surgeons don't even offer it anymore.

Same, I've had both done and my doc will do cadaver but does not prefer it and said it is a longer recovery with higher chance of re-injury. Odd choice indeed. Phone Post
12/4/12 11:53 AM
Gooner H Smith

scrapdo - 

Same, I've had both done and my doc will do cadaver but does not prefer it and said it is a longer recovery with higher chance of re-injury. Odd choice indeed. Phone Post

Yeah when I did mine in 2002 and they said then it wasnt recommended anymore. 

12/4/12 3:50 PM
Gholmes
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have two cadaver ligaments (ACL and MCL). It's been 3 years and knee works great. I train hard too.

Doctors have definite opinions on which method is better. Hamstring and knee ligament usage have their own drawbacks as well. The skill of the surgeon is more important than the method anyway hence Doctors preference for methods they've done well and often.

The issue here is the rejection, which is very rare these days. I'm not sure rejection is the whole story. Your body doesn't reject something months later. It would be almost immediate. It could be a botched surgery where Cruz's knee wasn't responding to rehab (because the new ligament didn't line up) as it should and upon a 2nd opinion they decided to redo it.
12/4/12 4:19 PM
Stu Cazzo

scrapdo - 

I was under the impression that the cadaver was the shorter recovery as opposed to stipping a ligament from another part of the leg.

I went with the cadaver - recovery was shorter than my 1st ACL reconstruction and it's holding up more than 12 years later....I skateboard, play soccer and hockey, and kickbox.

12/4/12 5:07 PM
Motivated Penn
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LilBrockonmychest - 
JayBRO -  Why the HELL did he go the cadaver route????? That is absolutely ridiculous for an athlete who's career depends on the outcome of this surgery to choose an option so outdated that most surgeons don't even offer it anymore.

Because they want to get a black guys ligaments/tendons to get that extra advantage.  He should see if he can get Jovan Belcher's.  He'd be flying around the Octagon in 6 months.

Oh laaawd. Curse this 1 Vote up pr day limit. I'mma make a note of it and give you another vote up tomorrow. I laughed :D
12/4/12 6:11 PM
Shakwon
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I talked to 4 doctors before making my decision on getting a cadaver graft, this was 7 months ago, not the early 2000s like some posters. The type of graft varied by doctor, some pushed patella tendon, some pushed hamstring, others recommended cadaver. In my talks with the doctors, they basically all said, its best to find a doctor who is comfortable with the type of graft you want. They said, there is no conclusive medical literature that says one type of graft is better than another. There are pros/cons on each. If one type of graft was clearly better then all doctors would use that graft, but that simply isn't the case.

I've heard Joe Hogan talk about having lingering issues with his patella tendon grafted knee and no issues with his cadaver graft knee.
12/4/12 6:11 PM
Gholmes
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mix6APlix - 
Gholmes - I have two cadaver ligaments (ACL and MCL). It's been 3 years and knee works great. I train hard too.

Doctors have definite opinions on which method is better. Hamstring and knee ligament usage have their own drawbacks as well. The skill of the surgeon is more important than the method anyway hence Doctors preference for methods they've done well and often.

The issue here is the rejection, which is very rare these days. I'm not sure rejection is the whole story. Your body doesn't reject something months later. It would be almost immediate. It could be a botched surgery where Cruz's knee wasn't responding to rehab (because the new ligament didn't line up) as it should and upon a 2nd opinion they decided to redo it.

My cousin got a full ride for soccer until she blew out her knee. Without a frat, she wishes that she had gone the goretex route. I have a couple family members who are in the medical field (1 doctor, 1 nurse), and they both are steadfast that goretex is the way to go. Good to hear that it went well for you though. Best wishes.

Debating which method is better is worthless. GSP got patellar tendon grafting. You're telling me the elite doctors he consulted are wrong too. Surgeon skill and how you rehab are just as important. My surgeon happens to be a friend of 25 years. I believe I got the best advice too. Every graft choice has pros and cons.

Who's to say Cruz wasn't doing stupid exercises on the knee too early where any type of graft wouldn't hold. Reading the article, rejection seems to be the wrong term. It sounds like he blew it out again. That's not a rejection.
12/4/12 6:14 PM
Gholmes

Mix6APlix,

I'm not trying to be difficult. I just don't want people reading this, who may someday face the choices of knee surgery, to automatically dismiss cadaver grafts as one of several options.
12/4/12 6:41 PM
Shakwon

Gholmes - 
Mix6APlix - 
Gholmes - I have two cadaver ligaments (ACL and MCL). It's been 3 years and knee works great. I train hard too.

My cousin got a full ride for soccer until she blew out her knee. Without a frat, she wishes that she had gone the goretex route. I have a couple family members who are in the medical field (1 doctor, 1 nurse), and they both are steadfast that goretex is the way to go. Good to hear that it went well for you though. Best wishes.

Debating which method is better is worthless. GSP got patellar tendon grafting. You're telling me the elite doctors he consulted are wrong too. Surgeon skill and how you rehab are just as important. My surgeon happens to be a friend of 25 years. I believe I got the best advice too. Every graft choice has pros and cons.

Who's to say Cruz wasn't doing stupid exercises on the knee too early where any type of graft wouldn't hold. Reading the article, rejection seems to be the wrong term. It sounds like he blew it out again. That's not a rejection.

Yea definitely seems more likely that he was trying to push himself too much and reinjured his ACL. His surgery was in June and they are just finding out now his body rejected the allograft?

Doing some quick searches I saw this from a site talking about the causes of failed ACL surgeries, "Rejection of allografts is in fact a rare occurrence. In cases of rejection, the signs are apparent within a few days of the operation and the graft must be removed on an urgent basis. "
12/5/12 3:46 AM
Shakwon

^^^ To somewhat edit my above comments. I don't necessary think he blew it out again, could be an issue with the surgery. I just don't think the body rejects a ligament months later, from what I've read it's pretty immediate.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.