UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Benson: I’m just trying to get a W

12/3/12 3:34 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

“I think the first two Frankie fights, the first one was close and everyone was hoping that the second one wouldn’t be as close, be more decisive, but sadly the second one was even closer than the first one. It is what it is,” Henderson said recently when speaking to MMAWeekly.com

So for his second title defense Henderson now draws former Ultimate Fighter winner and perennial bad boy Nate Diaz at UFC on Fox 5, but his philosophy and approach in the fight is exactly the same

Win by any means necessary.

“I’m just trying to get a W,” said Henderson. “I’m trying to get my hand raised however I can get it. He slips on a banana peel, I’ll take it. If it’s a decisive victory, I’ll take it.

“If it’s a closer razor thin decision, even closer than the second Frankie fight, I’ll take that too. Getting a W is not easy to come by in the UFC going against the best guy literally on the planet. I’ll take it any way I can get it.”

read entire article...

12/3/12 3:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
disbeliever
332 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
Benson brings it every time imo
12/3/12 4:18 PM
tonytr
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Benson's contentment with decisions and/or razor thin wins are why he keeps missing out on the finish.
12/3/12 4:21 PM
da Vinci 81
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love watching benson fight. I think this one will be a foty candidate. Phone Post
12/3/12 5:26 PM
DezzNutzz
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tonytr - Benson's contentment with decisions and/or razor thin wins are why he keeps missing out on the finish.
. Phone Post
12/3/12 5:32 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 12/03/12 5:32 PM

another guy who hasnt been able to finish... I dont mind guys who dont finish as long as they engageand leave everything in the octogan.   When I hear guys like bendson and clay say they can go 10 more rounds... it's like are you kidding me?

if you can go 10 more rounds then you didnt do everything you could inside the octogan.  you should have nothing left by the end of the fight.

if you could go 10 more rounds the UFC should ask for a refund on your payment.

12/3/12 5:35 PM
DontBeScaredGomi
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Omg lay and pray better not ensue Phone Post
12/3/12 5:36 PM
GriffinQ
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tonytr - Benson's contentment with decisions and/or razor thin wins are why he keeps missing out on the finish.
Not sure if I agree. It's said that if you seek the finish, it never comes. GSP says the opposite of Benson, yet he can't get the finish either.

I think he's just been up against a lot of guys lately who are borderline impossible to finish. Miller hadn't been finished till he fought Diaz, and Bendo beat the brakes off of him. Edgar has never been finished and is renowned for his heart. Bocek was finished by Edgar but it was a questionable stoppage from what I remember, and choked out by Danzig. Guida has only been finished by Florian in the past 5 years, and Florian is(was, I guess) one of the best finishers in the division. Phone Post
12/3/12 5:37 PM
Garv
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fightersbook.com, Get Connected
MMALOGIC - 

another guy who hasnt been able to finish... I dont mind guys who dont finish as long as they engageand leave everything in the octogan.   When I hear guys like bendson and clay say they can go 10 more rounds... it's like are you kidding me?

if you can go 10 more rounds then you didnt do everything you could inside the octogan.  you should have nothing left by the end of the fight.

My hunch is that they feel it's more important to win the fight than win the praise of MMALogic.

12/3/12 5:38 PM
k1levelstriking
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -

I think he tried for the finish in the first Frankie fight, but in the 2nd fight it seemed like he was pacing himself too much, and Frankie was doing a great job of moving around Bendo constantly. I don't see Bendo finishing a lot of the top guys at 155, they're too tough. I say this as a massive Bendo nuthugger Phone Post
12/3/12 5:38 PM
GriffinQ
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMALOGIC -

That's not true. You're asking a dude to go crazy offensively because he has the cardio to continue fighting at the end of the fight? That's a recipe for disaster. Just because you CAN fight at a faster pace doesn't mean you should, it leaves more opportunities for you to potentially get caught Phone Post
12/3/12 5:59 PM
alkysmurf
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is all code for I'm really going to try and slow the pace of the fight, by avoiding it as much as possible, because nate is the baddest man walking at 155 lbs. Phone Post
12/3/12 6:44 PM
SickEyeDiaz
429 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^ this, although I hope you're wrong. Phone Post
12/3/12 6:53 PM
UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Benson is damn exciting fighter. The finished have not come in the UFC, yet. But he had FOTN with Edgar, Guida and Miller (should have been FOTN)
He is one my favorite fighters to watched.
12/3/12 6:54 PM
UGCTT_Charles Bronsons Mustache
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/03/12 7:01 PM
Dupul
12/3/12 7:22 PM
Chaz Johnson

He is going to use the side kicks and takedowns rinse and repeat Phone Post
12/3/12 7:28 PM
alkysmurf
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chaz knows! Don't get me wrong I've always found Benson entertaining, but he has been talking allot about how he's going to beat nate, wasn't he the one that said the blueprint to beat nate is known.... now this.... Phone Post
12/3/12 7:31 PM
esch99
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Henderson was a lot more exciting to watch in the WEC...these days he seems to only be trying to win decisions and avoid a war.
12/3/12 7:45 PM
in_different
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you people all suck. Benson always brings it!!

he has been in some of MMA's great fights.

Cerrone v Henderson
Pettis v Henderson
Guida v Henderson
Frankie v Henderson

give it a rest guys. the man always brings it. If you are complaining because his last performance, thats silly. Frankie attracts boring fights. the only time they really stand out is if Frankie gets knocked silly and keeps chugging anyway.

Look forward to a great fight saturday
12/3/12 7:50 PM
GriffinQ

in_different - you people all suck. Benson always brings it!!

he has been in some of MMA's great fights.

Cerrone v Henderson
Pettis v Henderson
Guida v Henderson
Frankie v Henderson

give it a rest guys. the man always brings it. If you are complaining because his last performance, thats silly. Frankie attracts boring fights. the only time they really stand out is if Frankie gets knocked silly and keeps chugging anyway.

Look forward to a great fight saturday
You don't need to shit on Frankie to boost up Bendo. I'm a massive Bendo fan, but Frankie has been in entertaining fights where he didn't get knocked silly.
His fights with Tyson and Veach come to mind. Phone Post
12/3/12 7:52 PM
alkysmurf

I think you've got us wrong. I'm certainly not saying Benson isn't a very exciting fighter, he's one of my favorites because of his style. However Benson is basically saying he wants to win this fight so bad he is willing to do whatever it takes, aka a boring decision win.

He is saying it not us. Phone Post
12/3/12 7:57 PM
in_different
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alkysmurf -  I think you've got us wrong. I'm certainly not saying Benson isn't a very exciting fighter, he's one of my favorites because of his style. However Benson is basically saying he wants to win this fight so bad he is willing to do whatever it takes, aka a boring decision win.

He is saying it not us. Phone Post

what you dont understand is that it takes two.

if nate gets taken down and cant get back up, thats his problem. im rooting for bendo, but i understand Nate is dangerous. he will threaten off his back and work his way up to his feet.

If bendo decides to use angles and footwork, well Nate better be able to deal with that. Its his problem if he can use his own footwork. plodding forward and then being mad at the other guy is stupid. But i dont see Nate doing that for 5 rounds either.

it will be a fight. two guys are getting beat up. one is going to come out on top. everyone loves to be negative on this damn forum. wait till the fight happens that start bitching at least.
12/3/12 8:23 PM
kingkoopa

Cant wait for this bout... would like to see a rematch with pettis as well as pettis vs nate Phone Post
12/4/12 12:05 AM
alkysmurf

So now we are in agreement that bendo plans on utilizing a point fight mentality/game plan. We differ on our opinions of that mentality/game plan, but at least we're on the same page. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.