UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> TUF 17 Debuts Tues Jan 17th At 9pm

12/3/12 8:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://mmajunkie.com/news/2012/12/ufc-360-ad-declares-the-ultimate-fighter-17-debuts-tuesday-jan-22

"The Ultimate Fighter" is apparently moving to Tuesday.

An advertisement in the new issue of "UFC 360," formerly known as "UFC Magazine," declares the upcoming 17th season of "The Ultimate Fighter" debuts on Tuesday, Jan. 22, at 9 p.m. ET.

UFC and FX officials have yet to make an official announcement, and representatives from both companies weren't immediately available for comment when contacted by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

After 14 seasons on Spike TV, the past two seasons of the series aired on FX on Friday nights. In October, FX exec Chuck Saftler revealed the network had decided to move the show to a different night in an effort to revive declining ratings, but did not at the time specify which night ultimately would host the series.

Promotion officials had been keeping the new timeslot private as rival promotion Bellator Fighting Championships also was expecting to move out of its Friday slot and into a new night of the week to coincide with its transition from MTV2 to the UFC's old broadcast partner, Spike TV. Bellator executives also have not made an official announcement, but as MMAjunkie.com first reported, the company has already started securing venues for Tuesday nights in 2013, beginning with Jan. 10 in New Jersey for what is expected to serve as Bellator 85.

The Tuesday night slot means "The Ultimate Fighter 17" now serves as the lead-in for FX's popular "Sons of Anarchy" series, which currently airs on Tuesday nights at 10 p.m. ET and this past week drew more than 4.2 million viewers.
12/3/12 8:20 PM
Chris27

Tues Jan 22nd, my bad, cant edit title
12/3/12 8:31 PM
UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tuesdays are a good night.   Much more likely that I'll watch at that time then on Friday night.

12/3/12 8:34 PM
UGCTT_El Pescadero
2361 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always DVR, so don't really care what day it's on. Gunna be entertaining season I'm sure. Phone Post
12/3/12 8:35 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 12/03/12 8:38 PM

spike tested wednesdays 9pm and it didnt work that well.  sons of anarchy and justified are established so they dont need a strong lead in. but how will tuf do at 9pm?  having a movie from 8-10 lead into your program is better than having a movie from 7-9 lead into your program.

can they get back to an average of 1.3 million viewers with 9pm tuesdays... they better.  if Chael/Jones dont pull 1.5 mil plus on its debut it's a bad sign.

the other factor will be reruns.  if FX will rerun tuf throughout the week that will get a ton of eyeballs back on the UFC and commercials for it's events.

It's better than fridays... that's for sure.

12/3/12 8:36 PM
I'mDownWithBrown
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tues is a weak TV day for shows that I watch, so i'll be catching them live most likely. (Live as in first showing)
12/3/12 8:38 PM
MMALOGIC

I expect spike to take wednesdays with bellator.  after their debut on thursday i suspect they'll move it to wednesdays after the programming has been introduced to their viewers.

12/3/12 8:42 PM
Chris27

Tues is def the right night but I'm not sure if 9 or 11 is better.

11 is late but you have 3-5 million people watching Sons and Justified so you could probably hope to keep some of them around and do 1-2 mill.

At 9 its def a better slot than Friday but we'll have to see how it does.

And Logic is right they need to rerun TUF atleast one other day during the week, maybe on Friday night just to get a few more views.

I say you got 2 seasons with TUF, yes they are going all in for this one so if it doesnt work at 9pm thats a huge blow but I think no matter what happens this season with the ratings they should do atleast one more.

If this one doesnt do great numbers at 9pm I say you follow up Sons in Sept at 11pm. If that doesnt work the show is over for good and needs to be killed.

the last TUF just did like 850k or something on Friday with a terrible cast and boring coaches so on Tues at 9pm with Jones/Sonnen I think they easily will do 1.3/1.5 so I think they should be ok.

12/3/12 8:44 PM
Chris27

MMALOGIC - 

I expect spike to take wednesdays with bellator.  after their debut on thursday i suspect they'll move it to wednesdays after the programming has been introduced to their viewers.

You think they are gonna air on Thurs for one night and then move to Weds?

You think they will confuse the viewer like that?

Plus the whole point of Thurs is to follow TNA which does 1.3/1.5 mill a week so they hope to keep some of that audience.

They wont move off Thurs imo atleast for a year or more until they establish the org on Spike.

Maybe they use that Wed 10pm slot for the Bellator reality show they are doing but no way they move the live shows off Thurs atleast not for the first year or so.

12/3/12 8:47 PM
BrattMamley
991 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is great for the UFC. Really looking forward to this season.

12/3/12 8:48 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 12/03/12 8:49 PM

^ and the 9pm slot doesnt allow you to lead in to primetime specials... this pretty much means ufc primetimes shows are gonna be dead.  11pm may be a better slot because then you can follow with primetime or countdowns.

the problem is FX likes to replay their hit shows immediately after the first run so 11pm may not be available after sons and justified.

Tuf needs to change to a 4 man tournament.  pick a weight class, bring in the 4 best prospects not already in the ufc, tape the fights over the course of a few days, air all 3 fights of the tournament in one 60 minute episode every week and then give the winner a UFC contract.  repeat the same thing next week with a different weight class.

12/3/12 8:54 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 12/03/12 8:56 PM
Chris27 - 
MMALOGIC - 

Plus the whole point of Thurs is to follow TNA which does 1.3/1.5 mill a week so they hope to keep some of that audience.

They wont move off Thurs imo atleast for a year or more until they establish the org on Spike.

Maybe they use that Wed 10pm slot for the Bellator reality show they are doing but no way they move the live shows off Thurs atleast not for the first year or so.

they are gonna move off of thursday.  they are not gonna continue to air the only 2 consistent live event programming they have bacck to back.  they are doing it now to introduce bellator to their viewers.  and they want to air 3 hours of bellator's events instead of 2.

i dont even think the debut event is part of the tournament.

I expect the tournament to air on wednesdays in a 3 hour slot.  and the reality show will air on thursdays after tna.

Spike wants wednesdays and Dana knows it... that's why he leaked the tuf on wednesdays nonsense.  and Dana cant do anything about it until FS1 is launched.  FX isnt counterprogramming and fuel wouldnt be very effective with that.

12/3/12 8:59 PM
bruised
247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

17>16

This is already true on multiple counts. That's math. Phone Post
12/3/12 9:06 PM
MMALOGIC

Edited: 12/03/12 9:05 PM

justified debuts jan 8th 10pm. 

12/3/12 9:09 PM
Chris27

MMALOGIC - 

^ and the 9pm slot doesnt allow you to lead in to primetime specials... this pretty much means ufc primetimes shows are gonna be dead.  11pm may be a better slot because then you can follow with primetime or countdowns.

the problem is FX likes to replay their hit shows immediately after the first run so 11pm may not be available after sons and justified.

Tuf needs to change to a 4 man tournament.  pick a weight class, bring in the 4 best prospects not already in the ufc, tape the fights over the course of a few days, air all 3 fights of the tournament in one 60 minute episode every week and then give the winner a UFC contract.  repeat the same thing next week with a different weight class.

Why do you think they wont do Primetimes anymore?

No way in hell are they gonna kill the Primetimes, they only do 4 a year, they can put them on another night. Yes I understand following TUF where you have 1 mill or hopefully more come next year on Tues you already hvae a mill plus watching mma its better to follow that with Primetime but they can air it on another night.

They can air it on Friday nights, they can air it after Justified/Sons and push back the replay of Justified/Sons to 11:30 for three weeks.

Remember they would only have one primetime/3 episodes during a season of TUF. 4 a year so I think Aldo/Edgar could get one to hype the Superbowl card and then you do one in teh spring, summer and fall.

I dont think thats gonna be a problem, they can air them Fridays at 10 if they must.

but no way they kill off the Primetimes, they can find a slot for it.

Logic, how about airing a rerun of TUF on Fridays at 10 and then Primetime after that? This way you get Primetime and you get two airings of TUF.
12/3/12 9:13 PM
Chris27

MMALOGIC - 
Chris27 - 
MMALOGIC - 

they are gonna move off of thursday.  they are not gonna continue to air the only 2 consistent live event programming they have bacck to back.  they are doing it now to introduce bellator to their viewers.  and they want to air 3 hours of bellator's events instead of 2.

i dont even think the debut event is part of the tournament.

I expect the tournament to air on wednesdays in a 3 hour slot.  and the reality show will air on thursdays after tna.

Spike wants wednesdays and Dana knows it... that's why he leaked the tuf on wednesdays nonsense.  and Dana cant do anything about it until FS1 is launched.  FX isnt counterprogramming and fuel wouldnt be very effective with that.

I disagree with you on that, they are gonna stick with Thurs with the TNA lead in atleast for the first season, it makes the most sense.

What you suggest does make sense but not right now, they need to establish themselves on Spike first and then you can start moving around. Really I think they hope to move back to Sat once they are established because Sat is fight night, better ticket sales and big fight feel.

I get what you are saying about them not wanting back to back live events but I think SPike is smart enough to know they need that lead in from TNA to make sure Bellator gets decent ratings.

Putting them all alone from the start wont give them alot of exposure, packaging them together atleast for a season or two and making it a big night on Spike is what they are gonna do.

I'll bet anything they stay on Thurs the entire first season, Wed will be the reality show.
12/3/12 9:40 PM
MMALOGIC

^ I dont think they are gonna kill primetime... i think this hurts primetime property alot.  The friday replay is a great idea.

1 season on thursday?  maybe... but that's not the night they will stick with.  they already announced 3 hours to get in more tournaments and you cant do 3 hours after TNA and long term it makes no sense to air 2 live events back to back.   thrusday night is an introduction.  wednesday is what they want.

they will never go to saturdays because th UFC has staked claim to it.  all fight nights including fx are now on saturdays and you have ppv's and prelims.

SPike wants wednesdays and they got it... at least until fs1 is launched.

12/4/12 11:17 AM
Card
1904 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.