UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Accurate sights for home defense shotgun

12/3/12 10:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ringworm
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Accurate sights for home defense shotgun.

Frequently people come on here and ask what setup they should use for a home defense shotgun. When it comes to sights, the majority of responses tell them: "ghost ring sights" "oh you've got to get ghost ring sights, they're more tactical" "get ghost ring sights for home defense, those other things are for sport" "ghost ring sights - end of thread".

Ghost ring sights are the same as what rifle shooters call aperture sights. These sights have reliability and accuracy advantages, but they have drawbacks. Electronic sights overcome all these drawbacks, but they only work when the're turned on. That means if you're using electronic sights when something goes bump in the night, you have to fiddle with the controls to turn the red dot on, and hope you kept the batteries fresh. For this reason I don't recommend electronic sights for a home defense shotgun.

In order to obtain a sight picture with ghost ring sights, you have to look through a tiny hole in a metal disk. The smaller the hole, the more accurate the sights can be. However, the smaller the hole the more difficult it is to see a poorly lit target through them. Even with a big hole, these are the hardest sights to use in low light. Think you might ever need to aim at something in low light with your home defense shotgun?

Once you have a sight picture, ghost ring sights are the slowest sights to aim with. To use them as they were intended to be used, you have to shift the focus of your eyes from the target to the rear aperture, to the front sight post, and then fire. Do you think aiming quickly might be important when using a home defense shotgun?

Experts teach that when light conditions are too poor for looking through apature sights, or when engaging a man-sized target at 10 yards or less, a good shooter should always aims by looking over the ring instead of through it. In other words, ghost ring sights are great for sitting in a tree stand and taking your time aiming at a deer 50 yards away, but they are never something you want to actually use for home defense.

Bluenamer, please do your thing:

http://i47.tinypic.com/6zlnd4.jpg
12/3/12 10:48 PM
ringworm
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mods, please delete, I meant to put it on the OtherGround, not the SurvivalGround
1/5/13 1:47 AM
ringworm

How do you know that I'm a functionally illiterate urban youth with a stollen Jimenez Arms pistol that he's never fired, and never intends to practice with, but plans to use for bussin' a cap if anyone disses him? If you're an advocate of Ghetto Marksmanship, why bother coming on here? Just watch some rap videos, and don't forget to grab your balls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb4RPY9eekQ
1/15/13 12:14 PM
dunc
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/15/13 12:14 PM
How about this, with a shotgun, in a home defense situation, pretty much any sights will work. At any spot in my house I can shoot an intruder in the head, chest, groin, wherever with the stock sights on mine. But I do get what you're saying.
3/13/13 11:41 AM
1armedScissor
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm completely illiterate when it comes to guns (and perhaps my question will just further illustrate that point) but why is a sight necessary for a shotgun? Aren't shotguns shorter range weapons with a relatively large spread? Simply point the barrel towards your target and shoot?
3/13/13 10:49 PM
Atomic
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The spread on a shotgun at close range isn't that great, honestly.  In some instances, you can shoot 10 yards and get a 12" spread.  Take a look at this picture to help you better understand.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.