UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Why is Wolverine so Popular?

12/4/12 2:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AnotherTMAguy
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is this question like asking why do we need to breath air? I think its an interesting character but ultimately a one dimensional character.
12/4/12 3:08 AM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At one point he was a mysterious badass who was way more vicious than his peers, and stood in stark contrast to the other X-Men. He also had much more basic powers compared to some people(ie no flying, energy blasts, telepathy, etc).he was just a tough bastard who was hard to kill and who was really fucking good at stabbing lots of shit.

Now he has zero mystery surrounding himself, he's in every book under the sun, and the Marvel universe has gotten steadily darker since Wolverine was first introduced. He used to be an exception because he was willing to straight up murder people. Now people die left and right constantly and no one bats an eye. Phone Post
12/4/12 3:44 AM
MarkRobinson
1296 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/04/12 3:49 AM

My name is Mark Robinson and i am a recovering Wolverine hater. 

I actually went through a period of disliking wolverine for a long while. The power set boosting, the fanboys and poor stories made me really start to hate the character. 

Then catching up to him in the late 00s, I found that his story ahs been pretty fleshed out more and he wasnt as much of an angsty cry baby. 

I like the direction theyve taken him now. Who would have thought that Wolverine would be leading the school for gifted youngsters?  I dont think hes one dimensional at all. A large portion of his current story is him trying to balance being the new prof x and also the killer that prof x tried to rehabilitate. 

Sure hes in every damn marvel comic but outside of that, i think hes becoming more compelling. The whole byronic hero thing got boring for me and im glad theres not all this mysterious backstory anymore. 

Also, I think his power set is really fun and was very unique at the time. Someone on the geekground described him as "the Anti-brick". Hes a really cool contrast to the nigh invulnerable brutes. And although hes been replicated a hundred times, hes still super unique. 

And Gambit fuckin sucks. 

12/4/12 11:53 AM
BigWilliam
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Once they gave him a complete back story and made him a nice guy he became just another run of the mill character. Like the unseen monster his background was much cooler when it was vague and shadowy.

The idea of a Mr Hyde who was struggling to control himself was more interesting. But ultimately it became just a shallow string of one liners and cigar chewing. He was made one dimensional by a string of shitty writers.
12/4/12 1:54 PM
Hemlock
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Because of catharsis
12/4/12 2:33 PM
Alumatine
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't like wolvie too much until remenders run on x-force. Now I'm a wolvie lover Phone Post
12/5/12 1:09 AM
Kneeblock
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for later

12/5/12 1:21 AM
molsonman
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to like Wolverine but got tired of his overpowered claws and healing factor.
12/5/12 5:27 PM
Kido777
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most overdone runt in all of comicdom. In a world of ridiculous convoluted orgin stories his has to be one of the most if not THE most ridiculous of all.

Born a mutant with bone claws and a healing factor that not only allows him to survive a nuclear expolsion, but live for an extended period of time. He could live for hundreds of years depending on which writer is currently working with him.

Studies various forms of martial arts throughout his over hundred year lifetime. According to people on this forum his is a trained Ninja and Special Forces Agent.

Fights in numerous wars, including both world wars.

Then as if all of this isn't enough elements within the Military Industrial Complex experiment on him giving him an adamantium skeleton.

Later, it turns out he is from a lupine species that evolved parallel to humans.

What is he up to these days? Oh, he's taken the place of Charles Xavier and runs a school for gifted mutants. WTF?! In a alternate timeline he is the vessel for Apocalypse? Come on Marvel, at this point you know you guys are just milking it for all it's worth.

His origin reminds me of an old episode of Beetlejuice, starts at around 3:50.

In the 80s and 90s I liked the guy. He was a badass loner type who took on guys who were too sick and demented for the X-Men or anyone else too handle. He could take the fight to places they couldn't.
12/5/12 5:28 PM
Kido777
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

origin *
12/5/12 6:04 PM
crunchysavior
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kido777 - Most overdone runt in all of comicdom. In a world of ridiculous convoluted orgin stories his has to be one of the most if not THE most ridiculous of all.

Born a mutant with bone claws and a healing factor that not only allows him to survive a nuclear expolsion, but live for an extended period of time. He could live for hundreds of years depending on which writer is currently working with him.

Studies various forms of martial arts throughout his over hundred year lifetime. According to people on this forum his is a trained Ninja and Special Forces Agent.

Then as if all of this isn't enough elements within the Military Industrial Complex experiment on him giving him an adamantium skeleton.

Later, it turns out he is from a lupine species that evolved parallel to humans.

What is he up to these days? Oh, he's taken the place of Charles Xavier and runs a school for gifted mutants. WTF?! In a alternate timeline he is the vessel for Apocalypse? Come on Marvel, at this point you know you guys are just milking it for all it's worth.

In the 80s and 90s I liked the guy. He was a badass loner type who took on guys who were too sick and demented for the X-Men or anyone else too handle. He could take the fight to places they couldn't.

Anyone else bothered by the fact they called an open ended wrench a socket wrench in this video?
12/5/12 6:26 PM
paw
1437 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kido777 - Most overdone runt in all of comicdom. In a world of ridiculous convoluted orgin stories his has to be one of the most if not THE most ridiculous of all.

The lupine rubbish never happened.  Just ignore it, I guarantee everyone else not named Jeph Loeb is.

12/5/12 8:19 PM
Zenoplata
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His powers are not his claws, but his healing.
The metal in his body is called atommantom.
He used to be friends with sabertooth, but sabertooth stole wolverines girlfriend yugioh, and made her get claws.
Finally, wolverine doesn't like cyclops, because cyclops shot him with his eye bees.

12/5/12 8:46 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zenoplata -

His powers are not his claws, but his healing.
The metal in his body is called atommantom.
He used to be friends with sabertooth, but sabertooth stole wolverines girlfriend yugioh, and made her get claws.
Finally, wolverine doesn't like cyclops, because cyclops shot him with his eye bees.

Lol nice reference Phone Post
12/8/12 2:55 AM
Kneeblock
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I liked Wolverine up until Larry Hama stopped writing him. It's been a progressive slide downhill since. Phone Post
12/8/12 3:57 AM
Matthieu Battle
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no one likes eye bees.
12/9/12 6:21 PM
Unseen
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Timing.  For indie comic and small puplication readers characters like wolvie were nothing new, but to mainstream comic fans he was one of the first "anti heroes".  Kind of like the Stone Cold of comics.  Also unlike AHs in other worlds he is not part of a psycho universe where everyone is a killer.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.