UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Bullet Proof Characters

12/4/12 10:03 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
N9K
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's 2 types of characters as far as I'm concerned. Those that can take a bullet(unfazed) and those that can't.

I know Superman for sure. What about Thor? Anyone ever shot him in the face or eye?

Let's compile a list. Here's a few I'm pretty sure don't give a fuck about being shot:

Colossus
Silver Surfer
Juggernaut
Thing(I think)
Galactus
Green Lantern(shield up)

Correct me if I'm wrong about any of these BTW. More later.
12/4/12 10:05 AM
Stickgrappler
1676 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/04/12 10:07 AM
not 100% sure but here's some off the top of my head

Hulk
Power Man aka Luke Cage

EDIT: Captain America, Magneto or Polaris count? or you meant take one on their body without powers?
12/4/12 10:20 AM
matt murdock
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Considering bullets bounce off Namor like nothing, I guess we can assume that anyone in his approximate power department can handle it. 

12/4/12 10:21 AM
matt murdock
144 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/4/12 11:56 AM
Stickgrappler
1676 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hyperion, Shazam/Capt Marvel, Gladiator, Black Adam, Bizarro?, Mon-El, Ultra Boy (albeit one power at a time, so he would have to keep his invulnerbility on)
12/4/12 2:38 PM
Alumatine
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

matt murdock -

That was when he had the Odin-force. Not sure if its different when he is regular Thor. Btw I think he should be completely invulnerable to almost anything. I do recall an old comic where thor gets shot by a rifle Phone Post
12/4/12 3:03 PM
BigWilliam
288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanos, Champion, really any of the cosmic types, any herald of Galactus.

Ms Marvel, Thundra, Vision, Redstone, Diamond Lil, Box
12/4/12 3:07 PM
BigWilliam
288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mongul, Darkseid, Orion, Doomsday, Zod (all Kryptonians I suppose), Imperiex, Metallo, Solomon Grundy (some incarnations)

There really are a lot of bullet proof types out there.
12/4/12 11:10 PM
N9K
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice ones fellas.
12/5/12 12:22 AM
Stickgrappler

Robert Kirkman's Brit

from wiki:

Powers and abilities

Brit's main superhuman ability is that of invulnerability. His body is totally impervious to any and every kind of physical injury and the limits of his invulnerability are unknown. Unlike many superheroes depicted with invulnerability, Brit does not show any degree of superhuman strength; he is only as strong as a regular human male relative to his physique.[4] Brit's powers are the result of a serum developed by his father some time before World War one and in addition to invulnerability, the serum also retarded his aging process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brit_%28comics%29
12/5/12 12:52 AM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In all the OHOTMUs, Thor could be hurt by a .38. Or maybe a .38 was the most powerful thing that wouldn't hurt him, I forget.

Don't think any writer ever paid attention to that though.

12/5/12 2:51 AM
Leigh
877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wonder woman, despite taking punches from superman, needs to block with bracelets.

Any class 100 character should shrug off normal gunfire - you must have that sort of durability to lift 100 tons.

I liked Loki being bullet proof in Avengers. They really got power sets right Phone Post
12/5/12 8:34 AM
Last Don
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No one has mentioned the Hulk?

Come on GeekGround!
12/5/12 8:55 AM
MarkRobinson
1328 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A couple years ago I was having a debate with some friends about Thor being bullet proof. We all eventually agreed that Thor not being bulletproof was pretty ridiculous. We also decided that people supporting him not being bullet proof were now to be called "fuckin busieks!"

The reason is that Kurt Busiek went through 400 some odd issues of Thor to find out if he was really bulletproof. He concluded that because Thor avoids the bullets by blocking them, that he was indeed harmed by them.

In one issue of the vol 2 Black Panther run, Thor is shot by a sniper and gets knocked out by the impact. I mean, seriously? The guy has been in nuke explosions.

I hate that shit. Lol

Same goes for wonder woman. Although, unlike Thor, it's pretty much established canon that she is harmed by projectiles. She can take a infinite mass punch by a fuckin .22 caliber bullet harms her? Dumb dumb dumb. Phone Post
12/5/12 8:56 AM
MarkRobinson
1328 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Last Don - No one has mentioned the Hulk?

Come on GeekGround!
Never fret, good sir.

Respected forum member stickgrappler has indeed mentioned The Hulk. Phone Post
12/5/12 9:52 AM
paw
1459 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/05/12 9:51 AM
MarkRobinson -  A couple years ago I was having a debate with some friends about Thor being bullet proof. We all eventually agreed that Thor not being bulletproof was pretty ridiculous. We also decided that people supporting him not being bullet proof were now to be called "fuckin busieks!"

New catch phrase?

12/5/12 11:23 AM
BigWilliam

I would think Thor is maybe vulnerable to heavy arms fire, like 50 cal or something. Not that it would kill him, but it would hurt.

Yeah the Wonder Woman think never made sense, unless they were going for she is durable to blunt impacts but vulnerable to cutting type attacks like bladed weapons and bullets?
12/5/12 11:46 AM
Stickgrappler

lol at 'fuckin busieks"

Thx Mark for the help!

12/5/12 12:49 PM
Leigh
877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigWilliam - I would think Thor is maybe vulnerable to heavy arms fire, like 50 cal or something. Not that it would kill him, but it would hurt.

Yeah the Wonder Woman think never made sense, unless they were going for she is durable to blunt impacts but vulnerable to cutting type attacks like bladed weapons and bullets?
1) Thor is durable enough to walk in the sun. His skin (and the rest of him) can tolerate millions of tons of pressure. How are bullets going to do anything?

2) Same deal with Wonder Woman. Cutting and piercing works because the point of contact is small, increasing the force per sq inch. She can handle millions of tons per sq inch Phone Post
12/5/12 1:21 PM
Stickgrappler

speaking of Hulk, She-Hulk? Hulking?

speaking of Wonder Woman, Simon Williams aka Wonder Man?

Vision is on here, therefore Kitty Pryde/Shadowcat should be on here too.

12/5/12 1:32 PM
Stickgrappler

She-Hulk

for some reason, i cannot open the powers part of the marvel wiki on she-hulk

http://marvel.com/universe/She-Hulk

on comicsvine - http://www.comicvine.com/she-hulk/29-1449/

She-Hulk is Class 100 - she can lift 100 tons easily (I didn't know that!) - no mention of her being able to take bullets, but "She is impervious to most forms of physical attack and possesses a considerable healing factor." which makes me think bullets will do no damage to her.

Wonder Man/Simon Williams

same thing, can't access marvel wiki - powers section - stupid work firewalls

durability of 6 out of 7

http://marvel.com/universe/Wonder_Man_(Simon_Williams)

comics vine site has this (http://www.comicvine.com/wonder-man/29-1465/)

Strength

Wonder Man's strength level is in excess of the 100 ton range, meaning he can lift (press) over 100 tons above his head, and has been compared to that of Thor.

Invulnerability

Wonder Man's skin and tissue has been rated a 9 on the Mohs scale of Hardness (normal human tissue equals a 1 and diamond equals 10).

Endurance

Since Simon gained his ionic form he has almost unlimited amounts of stamina and no longer needs food, water, or air to survive. Wonder Man also doesn't age .

12/5/12 1:48 PM
Stickgrappler

Luke Cage http://www.comicvine.com/luke-cage/29-1450/

Luke has nigh impenetrable skin, which can protect him from high caliber bullets, knife wounds, and powerful explosions. His durability is great enough for him to withstand blows from opponents possessing great superhuman strength. However, Luke's durability does not extend beyond his skin layer, as his internal body parts are not nearly as well protected. Thus, as he may be all but invulnerable externally, his interior parts can still be damaged if he is attacked with enough force. In addition to his heightened durability, Cage also has greatly accelerated healing which affords him the ability to recover from injuries and damage much faster.

Maybe another question to ask is which characters have a healing factor? Didn't realize Cage had one.

12/5/12 1:54 PM
Stickgrappler

ugh...trying to get my mind off of thinking about slott writing a spidey story

Emma Frost

Organic Diamond Form    http://www.comicvine.com/emma-frost/29-1457/

Diamond Form
Diamond Form

Emma gained a secondary mutation during the destruction of Genosha, which manifested as complete transmutation of her organic tissues into a diamond-like substance. It was later revealed in a flashback that Cassandra Nova possibly catalyzed Emma's secondary mutation in order to allow her to survive the harsh environment of Genosha (however, it is still questionable if this is really true). This ability allows Emma to turn into an un-living yet sentient and mobile diamond form, granting her extreme resistance to damage, invulnerability to cold and heat, enhanced speed, super strength (no limit has been clearly defined but handbooks say approximately 2 tons), immortality, and limitless stamina as her body does not tire or produce any fatigue toxins while in this form. She also does not feel pain or emotions and has no need to eat, sleep, or drink while in diamond form. A drawback of her diamond form is she can not access her telepathy, but in return it grants her telepathic immunity to all but a few telepaths. She can stay transformed for as long as she likes and the speed it takes for her to transform in and out of her diamond form is almost instantaneous, being described as happening within a hundredth of a second.

Emma's diamond form has stood up to Cyclops' optic blasts, jet crashes, blasts from Bishop, hits from World War Hulk, the collapse of Genosha, and even a blast from the Dreaming Celestial's head when it was taken over by Mr. Sinister. Emma can be broken if hit with the appropriate amount of force, appropriate weapon and her shatter point (believed to be her nose). Her first instance of entirely shattering was due to a diamond bullet hitting her in her shatter point at extremely high speeds. In her second instance of breaking (this did not involve her shatter point), Emma's arm was cut off when attacked by one of the Dreaming Celestial's "mini celestial" probes its body broke into. Despite her arm breaking off, this shows an impressive upper limit to the kind of damage her diamond form can take considering one of them was able to blast a massive gouge in Colossus' chest and send him flying across San Francisco.

12/5/12 2:04 PM
BigWilliam

Leigh - 
BigWilliam - I would think Thor is maybe vulnerable to heavy arms fire, like 50 cal or something. Not that it would kill him, but it would hurt.

1) Thor is durable enough to walk in the sun. His skin (and the rest of him) can tolerate millions of tons of pressure. How are bullets going to do anything?

2) Same deal with Wonder Woman. Cutting and piercing works because the point of contact is small, increasing the force per sq inch. She can handle millions of tons per sq inch Phone Post

I agree, I was trying to fit in the story line and come up with a way for it to maybe work a little better with the way they are portrayed.
12/5/12 2:19 PM
BigWilliam

Stickgrappler - 

Luke Cage http://www.comicvine.com/luke-cage/29-1450/

Luke has nigh impenetrable skin, which can protect him from high caliber bullets, knife wounds, and powerful explosions. His durability is great enough for him to withstand blows from opponents possessing great superhuman strength. However, Luke's durability does not extend beyond his skin layer, as his internal body parts are not nearly as well protected. Thus, as he may be all but invulnerable externally, his interior parts can still be damaged if he is attacked with enough force. In addition to his heightened durability, Cage also has greatly accelerated healing which affords him the ability to recover from injuries and damage much faster.

Maybe another question to ask is which characters have a healing factor? Didn't realize Cage had one.

Well if you look how many comic characters recover from serious injury in a matter of days I would have to see all of them have some level of healing factor.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.