UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> Bullet Proof Characters

12/31/12 5:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Leigh
745 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just did some Googling and from what I can gather from anonymous blokes on the internet, a 9mm has an impact pressure of about 1700psi. Looking at my hands, I guess the lifting portion is about 3" x 4", so a total lifting area of about 24 sq inches.

So a guy lifting 15-20 tons is putting about the same pressure on his hands as a 9mm. I think your skin can handle a higher pressure than you can lift by a fair bit - I can lift 200lbs over my head but the skin on my hands is not close to splitting my skin due to pressure.

A conservative estimate would be anyone who can lift 10 tons should have skin comfortably able to withstand a standard 9mm. More powerful shots, like a hunting rifle, are different. Phone Post
12/31/12 5:43 PM
Silhouette
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

technically i would say magneto is bulletproof due to his powers but without his powers he would take a bullet
12/31/12 5:50 PM
Silhouette
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

omega red and silver surfer too
12/31/12 9:14 PM
Calebcb
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Leigh -  Just did some Googling and from what I can gather from anonymous blokes on the internet, a 9mm has an impact pressure of about 1700psi. Looking at my hands, I guess the lifting portion is about 3" x 4", so a total lifting area of about 24 sq inches.

So a guy lifting 15-20 tons is putting about the same pressure on his hands as a 9mm. I think your skin can handle a higher pressure than you can lift by a fair bit - I can lift 200lbs over my head but the skin on my hands is not close to splitting my skin due to pressure.

A conservative estimate would be anyone who can lift 10 tons should have skin comfortably able to withstand a standard 9mm. More powerful shots, like a hunting rifle, are different. Phone Post

I'm fine with presses too, but I'm always tearing my hands up when I deadlift. So should a shearing force, like a slicing blade, have a better chance at getting past the skin than a small caliber round?
1/1/13 3:01 AM
Leigh
745 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tearing your hands with dead lift is not the direct pressure, its the pulling. For example, 400lbs might tear your hands dead lifting but if you had 400lbs sitting on your palm, it wouldn't just split them open.

Cutting/slicing is again about pressure. A sharp blade can produce more pressure but on resilient guys you need to generate more force to achieve that pressure and the material must be able to withstand the force Phone Post
1/1/13 3:08 AM
MarkRobinson
1143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for doing the math, Leigh. Voted up //
1/1/13 3:56 AM
Calebcb
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good stuff. Happy new years vote up.
1/1/13 4:16 AM
Leigh

Cheers guys. IMO Spiderman level guys should be bulletproof - he's 150 times stronger than an average man and that requires similarly proportioned durability Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.