UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rick Flair: Harley Race would have been MMA champ

12/4/12 11:36 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

With the extraordinary success of Brock Lesnar, the idea of rasslers crossing over to MMA is no longer a joke. Rick Flair was recently interviewed by wrestlenewz.com and as is becoming standard in pro wrestling interviews, the line of questioning turned to MMA.

WrestleNewz: If you were 21 years old today, do you think you’d go into MMA instead of pro wrestling?

Rick Flair:  No, I wouldn’t.  I will watch MMA if someone I know is actually in it, but all the guys I know personally are gone. Liddell’s gone - he’s a good friend.  Ortiz is gone - he’s a good friend too. Brock Lesnar is gone.  The other guys now, I don’t watch, because I don’t care about them.

But I’ll tell you: I have been in matches with Bruiser Brody that were tougher than any MMA match! Especially in Tokyo. Same thing with Stan Hansen. Try getting in the ring with him one time in Tokyo, brother. Good lord!

And FYI, nobody in MMA could have beaten Harley Race or Dick Slater. Those guys were just that tough. And remember Haku? Don’t ever think that anybody would mess with Haku. If he was a young guy and he got into MMA, my god - he’d have done everything! He was the toughest son of a bitch I’ve ever met in my whole life. No lie, take my word for it.

Read entire article...

12/4/12 11:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HOLLYWOOD-MO
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He'll get the wrestling dopes to buy into this crap
12/4/12 11:39 AM
HOLLYWOOD-MO

Haku = Kimo

He would have been and done the exact same
Phisher

Voted down for misspelling Flair's name.

kid chaos
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

(-_-) Phone Post
12/4/12 11:40 AM
Hansumboy

Just another delusional old fool.
12/4/12 11:41 AM
Chaz Johnson

That's interesting woooooo Phone Post
12/4/12 11:44 AM
JOB
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's always said that Haku was a tough bastard. I don't doubt it. But none of them are beating a trained fighter. Ever.
12/4/12 11:45 AM
Kirik
1851 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
Phisher - 

Where did Chris spell the name wrong?

12/4/12 11:51 AM
SonofJockstrap
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haku ripped out someone's eye in a street fight and took on 5 officers and beat the shit out of all of them, it's documented. Street-fighting isn't what happens in the cage though.

Harley Race and Dick Slater if they got ported to this decade as guys in the early to mid 20's probably could have been fantastic, might not have ever been champion, but there's no doubt they'd probably be good. Stan Hansen's a stretch, he was tough but I don't know how he'd do.

The old guard of pro wrestling had a bunch of tough motherfuckers, but very few who would likely win championships. People are quick to forget Sakuraba's mma training at the time of his debut consisted high school wrestling and pro wrestling. 

12/4/12 12:02 PM
caseharts
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are guys that could have done it, but only a few. Phone Post
12/4/12 12:05 PM
Festus
418 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 
Phisher - 

Where did Chris spell the name wrong?

there's no "k"

Ric

12/4/12 12:06 PM
okiebug
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Danny Hodge would have been a legit MMA champ.
12/4/12 12:07 PM
chawkins
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To be fair to Flair, we need to bear in mind that when he says a young Harley Race or Haku would make waves in MMA today, he's not saying they'd step out of a time machine and take on the MMA world with nothing but their pro wrestling skills.

He's saying that if you took those guys with their raw toughness and natural gifts and they had decided to train for MMA the same way they'd trained for wrestling, they'd make waves.
12/4/12 12:07 PM
UGCTT_Reco Groman
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've known Harley for over 30 years now, and there's no doubt he's one of the toughest dudes I've ever met, and he would be near the top of the heap if he had competed in MMA.

12/4/12 12:09 PM
JustPeed
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol at "I've had matches that are tougher than any mma fight"

yeah, sure.

not hating on Flair but that line was ridiculous. Phone Post
12/4/12 12:11 PM
timmyfront
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Flair makes some sense. Tough ass dudes who start training at an early age and can handle the pressure of a huge audience could be champs.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of the old school wrestlers came from a catch-as-catch-can background. They had legitimate submission and grappling experience.

And I fucking hate pro wrestling.
12/4/12 12:12 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
400 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

lol @ Kirik ratting out Chris.

12/4/12 12:13 PM
Ramsey

JustPeed -  lol at "I've had matches that are tougher than any mma fight"

yeah, sure.

Gotta remember you are reading what he said. I'm sure he was laughing as he made the comment. He's a smart well thought our person (when sober) WOOOOOOO!
12/4/12 12:16 PM
Festus
418 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JustPeed -  lol at "I've had matches that are tougher than any mma fight"

yeah, sure.

not necessarily.  Wrestlers bodies go through hell. I know mma is relatively a new sport and we haven't seen how people hold up in the twilight years but it is well documented wrestlers later years are spent in pain.

I can believe that pro-wrestling is tougher than mma.

in long term health.  

12/4/12 12:17 PM
uratoker2
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread deserves another WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
12/4/12 12:23 PM
AZKIEL
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

don't know a lot about pro wrasslin' so I had to look this Haku guy up. I guess he went by the name Meng too? Pretty wild stories...

Bobby Heenan on a bar fight Meng had with some guy

“He took his two fingers on his right hand, his index finger and his trigger finger, and he reached into the guy’s mouth and he broke off the guy’s bottom teeth. I wouldn’t believe it unless I saw it with my own eyes.”

Rick Steiner on Meng getting arrested

“I was in LA one time with him and he fought eight cops, they shot him with mace and he closed his eyes and sucked it in. He just opened his mouth and took a deep breath. I mean, some of the stuff he did was like “What the hell”. Scotty and I always thought we were tough guys but that was before we met Meng.

Ted DiBiase on Meng getting arrested in St. Louis

“Some of the guys got into a fight and Meng got involved. He was just trying to help and in the process of trying to help, he gets maced by 4 cops and handcuffed. Now they handcuffed himi behind his back and then he said “Is this it?” and he broke the handcuffs. He snapped them.”
12/4/12 12:23 PM
AZKIEL
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/04/12 12:22 PM
12/4/12 12:26 PM
stevekt
648 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chuck and Ric are friends? I would give anything to hit the clubs with these two. Phone Post
12/4/12 12:33 PM
Sofa King Cool
353 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ric Flair, IMO. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.